Author Topic: Warbreaker Fantastic Read *Spoilers*  (Read 1577 times)

Lightblade

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Warbreaker Fantastic Read *Spoilers*
« on: November 10, 2008, 04:26:04 PM »
First things first.....

Wow  :o , Brandon, I have to tell you that I have been reading fantasy books for quite a while now and I am utterly amazed by your work. I had first picked up “Elantris” in passing at a Barnes and Noble. The book had me so entranced with the beautifully crafted characters and masterful plot that I finished it in one session. As soon as I could peel my eyes from the last page of the Ars Arcanum I googled you and discovered your current novels and promptly purchased them from my local book store. Its almost sad  to say this but I actually called off work to finish Hero Of Ages. Not to mention the fact that my girlfriend nearly disowned me for my lack of interest during those 2 weeks. Then I find your forum and discover that you are letting your readers and fans have crack at your newest work before its even published! Fantastic idea, but any author not of your caliber would have probably made a mistake doing such a thing, but after finishing Warbreaker I realized that I would be willing to pay for this book just to have it grace my bookshelves. I have just finished reading your latest version and other than some spot fixes and a few grammatical errors it was nearly perfect, the characters blended with great harmony. The plot had my eyes glued to the screen, and the turn about with Denth actually had me enraged, (very few novels have that effect) to name a few of my favorite things about it. I have a few small suggestions, perhaps a few more lines explaining how Jewels came to be involved with Denth and Tonk Fah, a little more background between the implied relationship with Jewels and Clod (former  boyfriend or family member? She did seem to be much more attached to him than any of the other characters and her anger at the injury received while defending Viv was too great to be irritation at having to do a patch job) she was honestly the one semi prominent character early in the book  that I knew very little about. I would like to see a bit more dialog between Denth and Vahser about his sisters death during the torture scene, I never quite got why or even how she died, I believe It had to do with the commands used to create nightblood but it was still vague. And finally it seemed that at the end of the book Susebron developed far to quickly, within a chapter he went from being a puppet god king to a masterful commander of men and power, this didn't really detract from the scene but for a smoother read perhaps some extra development of his leadership abilities would work better because the last time I read about Susebron it still seemed like Siri was leading him around by the nose so to speak.

Well thats it for me lol, long post I know but I realize that you actually do appreciate input from your readers, so I wanted to give this my first post on your forum my all, and to all who read this expect to see much more of me around here from now on. And to Brandon, thank you for giving us the chance to experience your art, no matter how long it took to get your first work published, for us, it was worth the wait.  ;)

Lightblade.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 07:40:45 AM by Brenna »

jjb

• Level 4
    • View Profile
Re: Warbreaker Fantastic Read
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 11:30:45 PM »
someone needs to mark this as spoilers for those who haven't read warbreaker yet

Lightblade

• Level 1
    • View Profile
Re: Warbreaker Fantastic Read *Spoilers*
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 12:19:14 PM »
sorry bout that.... thought this was in the warbreaker thread. Didnt realize i made my own...  :-[

Lightblade

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 12:32:57 PM »
If anyone has any comments or add on's to what i noticed or things i may have missed i would like to read about them so please feel free to post.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 11:13:51 PM »
There are a lot of comments in the other Warbreaker thread, if you haven't read it already.

[EDIT: Never mind, I see you meant to post there. Maybe just delete this thread and post there anyway? This thread is likely to get lost.]
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 11:17:31 PM by Mok Apple Pie »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 01:29:26 AM »
There are a lot of comments in the other Warbreaker thread, if you haven't read it already.

[EDIT: Never mind, I see you meant to post there. Maybe just delete this thread and post there anyway? This thread is likely to get lost.]

Not if I can help it!  Lightblade, I had nearly the same reaction as you in regards to Brandon's work...though...I started with Mistborn.  The second I finished the prologue of Mistborn...I couldn't stop.  So far, I have gotten four friends to read Mistborn.  One of them said she can't start HoA until after this semester is over because it was interfering with her school work.  :D
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 01:30:59 AM by Wielder »
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain