Author Topic: WOT Help  (Read 125202 times)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
Re: WOT Help
« Reply #705 on: November 20, 2009, 08:27:42 PM »
If you are trying to disrupt the clique mentality then you would need to establish a more balanced sharing of powers than what currently exist... the Amyrlin and the hall just play tug of war all the time
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: November 20, 2009, 09:23:28 PM »
Hi JoeC,

Glad you enjoyed the latest installment of the WoT books. I think the thing I enjoyed the most was when I opened to the title page and there stamped under the title was Rj's autograph. Having read his books since I was in HS (approx. 13 years ago) and I knew that I would never be able to meet the man and get this autograph. So this was the next best thing and apparently this was thanks to Brandon. That just makes him awesome I think.

As for the writing I thought this was an excellent addition to the series and I haven't had as much fun with the books since 4 and 5. I enjoyed the dark path and climax of Rand's journey in this story, I was truly afraid for his sanity as well for the safety of Min. I thought that Tam calling Cadsuane a bully was as excellent as her getting Semiraghe spanked to humiliate her. Pride seems to be a great flaw amongst many of the WoT characters. I wonder what Rand will be like now that he has found his sense of humor again, remember though he can laugh he is still damaged from the Taint and linked to Moridin. Plus the dual scars on his side and he used TP so that may tempt him again... Rand he may be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel but he is not out of the forest yet.

Course that's not taking into account the other messes Rand needs to clean up, Bandar Eban, the Borderlanders in Far Madding, the Black Tower, and possibly Lan Irtulde. There's also debate on if Greandal is really dead or not, theories that she either used a Compulsion weave that would disapate or someone else put that weave.

What little we get of Perrin was good, with hints of some really great stuff to look forward to in ToM. I loved that Faile took care of Masema, she finally did something useful.

Egwene was probably the best part of the books watching that story come to a climax, Verin's sacrfice was a heartbreaking part for me since she was one of my most liked characters. Seems she was BA all along lol. People should know that Messana is apparently still in the Tower and the Four Bloodwrasps are still unaccounted for.

Mat I know has had the most controversal part, many feeling his character was off from the previous books. I think Brandon explains it best by saying Mat's world has been turned upside down here now that he is married, he is trying to figure out how to deal with that fact. I feel as well that for the first time in a long time he's primarly surrounded by people he trusts, no Seachan or numerous AS to worry about to keep secrets from. I think he's still a man who doesn't want to wear the label Hero even if it is true of him.

I actually think the Ajah's should not only remain but the Asha'man would do well to have them. It keeps their order organized though I have a feeling the Channelers of both groups are going to have to evolve and change once TG is done.

I think Brandon has succeded with tGS and I can't wait to see ToM, aMoL and his own Epic fantasy series.
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

Batchman

• Level 4
  • Can I get you some water?
    • View Profile
    • Official Gordon Korman Web Site
« Reply #707 on: November 20, 2009, 09:55:59 PM »
By the way, what I said about Rand not being in any shape to take the Amyrlin Seat, and having to destroy the WT to get it only applies right now.

If he survives TG and comes out of it fairly sane, and the world can tell things are much better all around, then a male/female WT under Rand might be a much better possibility. (Assuming Egwene can bend enough to allow such a possibility.)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: November 21, 2009, 04:08:02 AM »
I doubt it b/c it would take a huge change in Aes Sedai mentality to except anyone as an equal.... witness the popular opinion about older novices
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

IngtarWhoStoleChristmas

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: December 02, 2009, 12:22:47 AM »
Hey JoeC!

Like you I loved TGS.

Egwene parts were good and I'm glad that the tower divide is finally resolved.

Rand getting his crap straight at the end was great and I loved viritually all of his parts, both up and down.

The minor parts with Mat & Perrin were ok, tho I did find Mat a little bit off.

Verin = Awesome

I really enjoyed the book and can't wait to get to ToM; Glad you enjoyed too, Look forward to further input on the books.

Say did you ever get around to reading A New Spring? The small lull between now and ToM would be a good time to review that. There is some really cool information in that one that is fun to read about :-)

Braus

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: October 01, 2010, 01:10:40 AM »
1 month and 1 day to go :>

JoeC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: October 05, 2010, 01:10:16 AM »
Oh I'm still here! Lurking. Just finished Way of Kings last night and came to creep on the discussions. All my questions are being answered through the forum searching I'm doing. A little surprised to see this one got remembered!! Should I resurrect it for the next WOT book?? lol

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: October 05, 2010, 05:18:40 AM »
Should I resurrect it for the next WOT book?? lol
Sure, why not?  Have you read the prologue, chapter 1, and chapter 8 (I think) yet?  Those have all been released online already.

JoeC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: October 06, 2010, 03:43:16 AM »
No I purposely haven't. While I appreciate Brandon doing that for the fans in principal, I would kinda feel a bit teased. It would make the waiting a lot harder for me. But it's not all that bad. I just grabbed Salvatore's new Drizzt book today so I will VERY much enjoy that in the meantime!! Good to see you again btw douglas!

mtbikemom

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: October 06, 2010, 06:25:58 AM »
Ditto for me, JoeC.  It's nice to enjoy the uninterrupted flow of the book.  I made the mistake of reading the prologue and ch. 1 early last year and regretted it.

What did you think of The Way of Kings, if I may ask?  I have 100 pages still to go, but the book finally grabbed me at about chapter 45.  I'm hooked.

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: October 06, 2010, 06:57:02 AM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one that avoids partial previews of unreleased books. Why should I hook myself before the final product is available?
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

JoeC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: October 06, 2010, 11:29:42 PM »
Ditto for me, JoeC.  It's nice to enjoy the uninterrupted flow of the book.  I made the mistake of reading the prologue and ch. 1 early last year and regretted it.

What did you think of The Way of Kings, if I may ask?  I have 100 pages still to go, but the book finally grabbed me at about chapter 45.  I'm hooked.

I absolutely loved it! I ate that story right up. There's SO much there! I discovered even more when I came to the forums here. There was a lot of stuff I didn't understand, and others I had missed completely. Loved the story and the characters and the action was thrilling! Not too many people who can write a fight scene as well as BS.... except maybe Salvatore.  ;)

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: October 07, 2010, 07:15:39 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one that avoids partial previews of unreleased books. Why should I hook myself before the final product is available?

Because, like me, you find yourself utterly unable to resist?

Seriously, the Prologue, Chapter 1, and Chapter 8 are pretty awesome. Could I have lived without them? Yes. Should I have? Probably? Do I regret that I bought the prologue and read the others? Not for a second.

But then again, I'm a sucker for spoilers. I disconnect my internet whenever I get something like the next WoT book and I haven't finished it but other people have and are discussing it online. Otherwise I'd never make it through the book before finding out most of the ending.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

mtbikemom

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: October 08, 2010, 06:16:06 PM »
I discovered even more when I came to the forums here. There was a lot of stuff I didn't understand, and others I had missed completely.

I just finished WoK.  Wow!  Loved all the last-few-chapter twists, especially between Shallan and Jasnah.  I totally missed that Shallan had Soulcast without the Soulcaster, so her revelations were a surprise.  I usually miss so much the first time through and am amazed at what I read on the forums.  When I can abide the wild theories.  Sometimes I just don't care! 

I kinda expected Kaladin and Dalinar to join forces eventually and for the love affair to proceed between Dalinar and Navani, but that didn't make it any less satisfying.  Best surprise for me: Talenel returning!  And who and what, really, is Wit?  And I also want to know more about Dalinar's late wife. . . and it all should be RAFO because speculation is just that, at this point.  We do not have nearly enough information, nor should we.

See ya after ToM, JoeC!

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: October 08, 2010, 06:48:23 PM »
And who and what, really, is Wit?
Wit is Hoid.  If you don't know who Hoid is, you really haven't been reading this forum much.