Author Topic: WOT Help  (Read 125256 times)

AGrey

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: WOT Help
« Reply #660 on: July 01, 2009, 07:48:56 PM »
One thing that I have to admit I'm not that psyched about is Sanderson's ability to write battle scenes.

don't get me wrong, Hero of Ages has some great battles, but compared to what Jordan was capable of...

nothing really beats going to the citadel (the military academy in South Carolina, FTWDNK) or actual combat experience (Jordan was a helicopter gunner in Vietnam, IIRC)

Dumai's Wells was one of the best battles I've ever read or seen in any medium, but I don't think Sanderson can beat it for Tarmon gaidon.

does anyone know how much of the actual battle was written by Jordan, and if it's one of the things he got on paper?

on the other hand, Sanderson has an unparalleled ability to tie up loose plot threads (I didn't even realize some of those things were hidden clues until the big reveal.  see: crushedthroat)
My old account demented_yam is on the Warbreaker acknowledgments page.  Awesome.

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: July 02, 2009, 04:28:27 AM »
Sanderson has said that writing the WoT book has caused his writing to grow, that he's had to do research he doesn't nomally do. Sun Tzo is one of those things Warbreaker is supposed to be a hint at how much his writing has changed.
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: July 02, 2009, 06:42:21 AM »
Erickson's battle scenes put Jordan to shame...though WoT is my favorite series
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: July 02, 2009, 02:16:55 PM »
I am just going to guess here.  But, I believe that the final battle scene is completely written and will just have to be modified some to bring in the changes that will occur through editing and filling in the blanks of the rest of the book.  We known that RJ wrote the end of the book a while back so hopefully that includes the final battle.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: July 06, 2009, 08:59:29 PM »
I'm sure the battle scenes will be fine.  Harriet and RJ's two assistants are helping him the whole way, and much of the last scenes were mostly written already by RJ.

Joe - Have you guessed yet that Semirhage was Anath, Tuon's TruthSpeaker?  If you read the scenes with her and Tuon again, it just jumps right out at you, especially how she gets the job (her former TS falls down a flight of stairs and breaks her neck, and somehow "Anath" is chosen as a replacement instead of the person being groomed for the position).  It seems no matter how often RJ wrote the "powerful influence coming out of nowhere" clue of a Forsaken most of us still miss it.

Your opinion on Semi's attack on Rand got me thinking; if she really wanted to kill him, you'd think she would have had some better attack than a little fireball......
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #665 on: July 08, 2009, 09:24:31 PM »
Rigney was subtle.  The powerful influences coming out of nowhere are not overpowering set against the backdrop of the story at large.  It's forgivable to miss some of that foreshadowing.

I love the fact that Lan is gathering the Shienaran Diaspora, the question is how this will work out when he's forced to face his brother at the head of a battalion of Trollocs and Fades.

Fortunately the story of Perin and Zarine is far from over.  There is still a little matter of a broken crown, as well as the final unification of Manetheren.

In the Afterward, where Semirhage was arrested, it's pretty obvious that they are in or near Seandar rather than Ebu Dar so what ever her previous role, Semirhage assassinated the Empress and put herself in control of the Empire.  When Tuon meets Rand she'll be as much a beggar looking for a hand out as Elayne was when Rand occupied Caemlyn.  OF course she won't BE Tuon.  As a married woman and the new Empress, she will take a throne name and I have a sneaky suspicion that it will be "old tongue" for precious.  Knowing Tuon half of her reason for taking the name precious will be so she can once again start calling Mat "toy".

Given all the Scythian influence on the "old tongue".  (Yeah I know some of it was just take an english phrase and mangle the pronouciation, but since old english is a scythian dialect. . .)  I suspect it will be something like Shah-min.  But, given the similarity to Asha'man (a shaman) and shaman, as well as the term Seanchan (which borrows the gaelic "sha" from Sean and marries it with chan drawled like a Carolina farm boy) I'd rather see it be Seamin or Seameen despite the juvenile humor that will generate.

:)
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Inquisitor

• Level 8
  • Lord of Cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: July 14, 2009, 06:45:25 AM »
Wait, Lan has a brother?
Captain Commander of the Holy Vanguard of Kaz

I have recently discovered that pie cannot be trusted. I am switching full time to cake.

Cake shall prevail!

Come join us over at the Mistborn Forum RPG!
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mistborn/index.php?

AGrey

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: July 14, 2009, 08:14:32 AM »
My old account demented_yam is on the Warbreaker acknowledgments page.  Awesome.

Inquisitor

• Level 8
  • Lord of Cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: July 14, 2009, 08:22:18 AM »
Oh ok.
Captain Commander of the Holy Vanguard of Kaz

I have recently discovered that pie cannot be trusted. I am switching full time to cake.

Cake shall prevail!

Come join us over at the Mistborn Forum RPG!
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mistborn/index.php?

Braus

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: July 20, 2009, 07:03:38 PM »
Wait, Lan has a brother?

actually his cousin

http://steelypips.org/wotfaq/1_dark/1.4_whats-up-dark/1.4.02_slayer.html

Yeah there is alot of things like that which you might miss the first read through, and some stuff that you dont grasp until you almost memorized the books :P.

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: July 20, 2009, 07:23:10 PM »
Doing a reread and just finished the part where Fain gets the dagger back from the tower.   He mentions going after Rand and "old enemy".  I don't have the exact quote on hand though.  Any idea who this old enemy is.  This seem to be from Mordiths perspective so it would have to be someone from the AoL (makes me think Asmodean but I haven't got back to his death scene yet).  My only thoughts are one of the forsaken if he is referring to an individual. 

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: July 20, 2009, 10:18:37 PM »
Rand is the one with the wacky family...Luc is his uncle and Galad is his half-brother
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

IngtarWhoStoleChristmas

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: July 21, 2009, 12:29:09 AM »
Doing a reread and just finished the part where Fain gets the dagger back from the tower.   He mentions going after Rand and "old enemy".  I don't have the exact quote on hand though.  Any idea who this old enemy is.  This seem to be from Mordiths perspective so it would have to be someone from the AoL (makes me think Asmodean but I haven't got back to his death scene yet).  My only thoughts are one of the forsaken if he is referring to an individual. 

Me thinks "old enemy" is in reference Aridhoril's (sp) ancient enemy The shadow. Remember it was turned in to Shadar Logoth due to its own way of fighting the shadow.

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: July 21, 2009, 06:19:46 PM »
Well I changed my mind in that it was Asmo because Shadar Logoth is after Age of Legends and during the time of the trolloc wars.  With that in mind I still don't think it is the shadow.   It sounded to much like and individual. 

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: July 21, 2009, 06:32:40 PM »
It could be Ishamael, but I always thought it was Old Dark One himself.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.