Author Topic: WOT Help  (Read 136024 times)

Renoard

• Level 20
  • Fell Points: 0
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
Re: WOT Help
« Reply #615 on: June 04, 2009, 10:45:36 PM »
Naw that doesn't hold water.  Everyone of his women has been a strong woman.  Let's see. A Maiden of the Spear, A business woman and an Empress of the Freaking World come to mind. . .
Non standard role in every case. Tylin is a different case.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

PW

« Reply #616 on: June 04, 2009, 11:24:26 PM »
I'm not saying he's not attracted to strong women, he just likes to be in control.

Vatdoro

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: June 04, 2009, 11:56:50 PM »
I never thought Mat was raped. He is pursued by a VERY aggressive and powerful woman, but I never had the impression she made him do anything he didn't want to.

I thought the scenes where Tylin is domineering Mat were actually quite funny. At this point in the story Mat has grown quite a bit and has a very strong personality. It was fun to see the tables turned on him a little bit.

Now if a similar scenario were to play out in real life, I think it's almost guaranteed the aggressor would be committing rape at some level. But, we are talking about a fantasy story in a fantasy world. Mat is a super-character and he could take control of the situation if he really wanted to.

We're still talking about Mat freaking Cauthon here!!!! If he doesn't want to be in that situation he gets out of it! End.Of.Story.

Amen to Madness

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: June 05, 2009, 02:04:11 AM »
*calls "Joe you out there?"
No response.
"Joe?  JoeC!"
The echo comes faintly drifting and attenuating as if down an endless stone corridor. "C!. . . C. . . c. . . c--"

I think the book worm ate him. :(

Maybe CoT did another fan in :(
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: June 05, 2009, 02:26:23 AM »
There isn't one scene where Mat tells Tylin no(that I have found). He makes excuses in one scene but then is distracted by her kissing to the point where he does not even notice his pants are undone. Beyond that Mat has faced down six armed attackers in an ally and had enough skill to not kill the one woman attacking him during that fight. But your telling me he can't find away to get away from ONE woman with a dagger?  Highly unlikely. He didn't like the role reversal but he was in no way raped.
Crown of Swords chapter 29, first scene.  He doesn't actually tell her no, but he tries to physically take the room keys from her after she locks the door, almost certainly intending to either leave or physically force her out after unlocking it, and says "I don't have bloody time for-" before getting cut off.  Afterwards he mentally considers ways to prevent it from happening again and is not happy about the fact that they're not likely to work.

achren99

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: June 05, 2009, 04:55:29 PM »
I understand this is a fantasy world etc., but even so, when I read things I always relate it to how I would react, so that's why I saw it as rape.  She was manipulative and creepy (in my mind) and if a guy did that to me I would feel violated.

I was glad when that story line ended because Tylin creeped me out and made the Mat parts a little less fun for me because it didn't feel like a healthy or fun relationship to me. 

Opinions of things like this vary a lot in our world too, so it makes sense we don't all agree. 

IngtarWhoStoleChristmas

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: June 05, 2009, 05:35:41 PM »
...didn't feel like a healthy or fun relationship to me.

It was most definitely neither :-)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: June 05, 2009, 05:46:28 PM »
What the hell are you talking about HE NEVER gets out of a position he wants out of he was like that for the 1st two or three books he says he doesn't play hero but it is exactly what he does he stays not for Tylin but because he feels obligated to do so... he is taavern he knows he can't escape it and is now trying his damnedest to get through Tarmon Gaidon with as little losses as possible so he does things he finds unpleasant such as leading a rag tag army that happens to be a match for 3 times their number in regular soldiers
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Vatdoro

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: June 05, 2009, 06:03:16 PM »
Wow. I can see how some people might get the impression that Mat was being forced to do stuff against his will with Tylin, but I never thought people would feel that strongly about it.

Now I'm getting more curious. I'm tempted to make a poll to see how the masses (lurkers) feel about it, but I'm reluctant to start a thread just about Mat and Tylin's relationship.  :-[

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: June 05, 2009, 10:13:42 PM »
The concept of rape is a sensitive topic so views on it can be pretty agressive
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

JoeC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: June 06, 2009, 08:46:22 PM »

LOL Nope! Almost though! This book was very slow and frustrating to read. I'm almost done though and I should have an update on Monday or Tuesday. Sorry for the lack of updates. I've been very busy.

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: June 07, 2009, 01:16:32 AM »
Glad to know your still sticking with it, it's not a horrible book but not the best of the series at all. I know some will say it's the worst, but that can be debated I think. Just know that Knife of Dreams is much better and worth it.
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

IngtarWhoStoleChristmas

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: June 08, 2009, 02:36:20 PM »

LOL Nope! Almost though! This book was very slow and frustrating to read. I'm almost done though and I should have an update on Monday or Tuesday. Sorry for the lack of updates. I've been very busy.

Hang in there Joe, almost a big payoff coming. I always felt like 10 was really 9.5 :-)

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: June 08, 2009, 03:54:20 PM »
The main thing I remember from CoT is that it seemed like half the book was just various groups of channelers staring off into the distance with dropped jaws and saying something to the effect of "Holy **** that's a lot of power!"

IngtarWhoStoleChristmas

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: June 08, 2009, 05:35:26 PM »
The main thing I remember from CoT is that it seemed like half the book was just various groups of channelers staring off into the distance with dropped jaws and saying something to the effect of "Holy **** that's a lot of power!"

And that will probably be the whole of Joe C's recap :-)