Author Topic: WOT Help  (Read 125186 times)

darxbane

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: WOT Help
« Reply #540 on: April 24, 2009, 04:51:05 PM »
Exactly, that doesn't mean I don't like her as a character, though.  She was given a fascinating personality. 

Yukomo, what do you mean that's not how she acts?  Does she ever explain to anyone the reasons for her counsel?  Does she share her ideas and goals with other Aes Sedai (or even Rand) as equals do?  Most certainly not.  If you want her help, you must do it her way, and you must trust her. 

I partially agree about the Latra Posae thing.  She is no more to blame than Lews Therin.  All Aes Sedai knew that the greatest achievements the One Power created were the result of both halves being used.  Lews Therin chose to act without the female Aes Sedai, and the results were catastrophic.  I am not excusing the lack of action, I am saying that both sides were equally at fault.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

JoeC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: April 27, 2009, 11:11:36 PM »
Hey guys. Sorry I didn't do the update but a close friend of mine was killed in a car accident. It's been rough and I miss her but I'm trying to do things to keep her off my mind. So I figured I give an update since I did finish Path of Daggers.

Okay, I'm gonna say that unfortunately I did not enjoy this book as much as I did the others. There were definitely good parts but overall I think too many things were drawn out. I'm still not giving up though!

-Perrin met Masema and gave him his order to report back to Rand. Masema says he'd rather travel the long way than to go through a gateway made with the Power. I am really anticipating this guy being put in his place by Rand. He has certainly caused a lot of trouble. Faile and Morgase are captured by the Shaido Aiel. Again, the whole Shaido storyline is frustrating but now I'm actually worried for Faile. I like her.

-Egwene, however, has put both Romanda and Lelaine in THEIR places. She has gotten the Hall to declare war on Elaida and at the end of the book they are going through a gateway to Tar Valon. I'm very curious about how they are going to do this. Afterall, Artur Hawking had the White Tower sieged for years and eventually lost. Though, I don't believe he had any channelers on his side.

-Elayne claimed the Lion Throne finally. Though apparently it won't be easy for her because others have laid claim to it. Then she rips down all the Dragon banners!! Man, women are cold sometimes. lol

-Elaida's embassy to the Black Tower was ambushed by Asha'man. They were led by Toveine who she herself was captured by Logain. I don't recall Logain joining the Black Tower but I think it's a great addition. Now, Toveine wasn't making it easy on him, so he kissed her. Now, I may be wrong but I think he gave her an orgasm. Is that what happened?? If so, that was very nice of him.

-Liandran is damane now. Serves her right.

-Rand's battle with the Seanchan was not as much fun to read as I hoped it would be. I actually wound up with a splitting headache from all the talk of his seeing double everytime he used saidin. All the back and forth character points of view didn't seem very necessary. I will admit that I almost jumped out of my seat when he revealed he had Callandor. It's too bad that he killed a lot of Seanchan AND his own army. Cadsuane reveals later that Callandor is flawed and actually magnifies the taint. She says he needs to link with two sisters to use it, with one sister controlling the flows. I personally think he should find a way to cleanse saidin. That would solve problems!
 Back in Carhien, Rand is attacked by Dashiva and other Asha'man who have betrayed him for some reason. Have they gone mad?? I guess I kinda saw this coming, because the prophecies said that there will be dreadlords at Tarmon Gai'don and I imagine that this is where they come from. Too bad Rand couldn't kill Dashiva. That could be a big problem.

Sorry if this update is kind of crappy, but my heart just isn't in it today. I didn't want to make you guys wait any longer though. I did order Winter's Heart and it should arrive in a couple of days. Take Care!
-Joe

Vatdoro

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: April 28, 2009, 01:02:34 AM »
Joe - Sorry to hear about your friend. I really don't know what to say about that. It's a really hard thing to deal with.

On a WoT note, thanks for the update. It was fun to read even if your heart wasn't in it. And ya, it was kind of obvious you weren't quite your normal self when you wrote that.

I agree that Path of Daggers wasn't as good as the previous books. I don't mean to say that I didn't like it. I did. But I LOVED some of the previous books. Fires of Heaven is AWESOME! And most people REALLY enjoy reading from Matt's point of view, and there isn't any Matt in Path of Daggers at all! No wonder it's not as exciting!  ;)

Masema is crazy. I also hope to see Rand lay into that crazed loon one of these days. I won't comment on Faile, because I can't think anything to say that wouldn't potentially lead to a slight spoiler.

I'm currently at the beginning of The Dragon Reborn on my own re-read of the series. I love the foreshadowing that Jordan drops about different characters. Every time someone teases Egwene about rising as far as the Amyrlin Seat is great! She is an awesome Amyrlin. Artur Hawkwing wouldn't have had any channelers when he laid seige to Tar Valon. It will be very interesting to see how that goes.

Ya, you'd think Elayne would just walk in and take the Lion Throne. She's the Daughter Heir and her boyfriend is the freaking Dragon Reborn, who already controls Andor. I kind of see her point, but I also think she's a little stubborn. She wants to jump through every tiny hoop to prove to everyone that she is the Ruler of Andor because she deserves it and not because Rand handed it to her on a silver platter. Kind of makes sense, but a little frustrating she has to go through all the politics anyway.

I don't recall when Logain joined the Black Tower, but yeah, he's there. When he kissed Toveine he did something to her with the Power. You'll probably find out exactly what shortly after starting the next book. Elaida is such an incompetent person. Everything she does ends up blowing up in her face. Sending those sisters to the Black Tower ends up introducing some very interesting twists in the relationship between Ashaman and Aes Sedai.

It's been a long time since I read Path of Daggers. I can't remember much of Rand using Callandor in a battle with the Seanchan. Cleansing Saidin is an interesting idea. That would be pure crazy talk though.

Dashiva and the other Asha'man haven't gone mad. They're just finally showing their true colors. Looks like there are some darkfriends mixed in with the Asha'man. Now they have to keep an eye out for "Black Asha'man" as well as ones going mad.

So yeah. Path of Daggers isn't as great as some of the other WoT books, but I think it still carries the plot forward and sets up more exciting things for later books.

Good luck Joe!

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: April 28, 2009, 01:29:09 AM »
All I can say is stick it through, man. It'll be worth it in the end.

And I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Requiescat in pace.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: April 28, 2009, 01:55:31 AM »
Hey guys. Sorry I didn't do the update but a close friend of mine was killed in a car accident. It's been rough and I miss her but I'm trying to do things to keep her off my mind. So I figured I give an update since I did finish Path of Daggers.

I'm very sorry to hear about your friend JoeC, I lost a friend to a car accident as well. I hope Wheel of Time helps you to cope. :)

Okay, I'm gonna say that unfortunately I did not enjoy this book as much as I did the others. There were definitely good parts but overall I think too many things were drawn out. I'm still not giving up though!

Yes and now imagined you just waited two years for that book you just read. Two LONG years of not knowing what happened to Mat and now you STILL don't know and have to wait another TWO years to know. Now how pissed off are you? That's why I think PoD recieved such a backlash from the fandom. With hindsight and re-reads I did grow to enjoy this book more though it isn't my favorite either. The next book is much better I think, and you get Mat back so Yay-tie!

-Perrin met Masema and gave him his order to report back to Rand. Masema says he'd rather travel the long way than to go through a gateway made with the Power. I am really anticipating this guy being put in his place by Rand. He has certainly caused a lot of trouble. Faile and Morgase are captured by the Shaido Aiel. Again, the whole Shaido storyline is frustrating but now I'm actually worried for Faile. I like her.

This is going to be a l-o-n-g one and that's all I will say.

-Egwene, however, has put both Romanda and Lelaine in THEIR places. She has gotten the Hall to declare war on Elaida and at the end of the book they are going through a gateway to Tar Valon. I'm very curious about how they are going to do this. Afterall, Artur Hawking had the White Tower sieged for years and eventually lost. Though, I don't believe he had any channelers on his side.

I really enjoyed this aspect on the re-read, just be glad they know to use gateways.

-Elayne claimed the Lion Throne finally. Though apparently it won't be easy for her because others have laid claim to it. Then she rips down all the Dragon banners!! Man, women are cold sometimes. lol

I too wish there was a "warmer" way to do it but she needs to prove herself otherwise people will second guess her and wonder when her "Dragon" is going to come back. This way they know it's the Lion Queen in charge, not the Dragon Reborn.

-Elaida's embassy to the Black Tower was ambushed by Asha'man. They were led by Toveine who she herself was captured by Logain. I don't recall Logain joining the Black Tower but I think it's a great addition. Now, Toveine wasn't making it easy on him, so he kissed her. Now, I may be wrong but I think he gave her an orgasm. Is that what happened?? If so, that was very nice of him.

Yes something HAS happened to change the dynamic with Aes Sedai and Ashaman. Your going to love the next book. Just remember, the BEST things happen when Saidin and Saidar work in union. *wicked grin*

More important though to remember that it seems Logain doesn't like Taim...

-Liandran is damane now. Serves her right.

Just love when baddies get what they got coming.

-Rand's battle with the Seanchan was not as much fun to read as I hoped it would be. I actually wound up with a splitting headache from all the talk of his seeing double everytime he used saidin. All the back and forth character points of view didn't seem very necessary. I will admit that I almost jumped out of my seat when he revealed he had Callandor. It's too bad that he killed a lot of Seanchan AND his own army. Cadsuane reveals later that Callandor is flawed and actually magnifies the taint. She says he needs to link with two sisters to use it, with one sister controlling the flows. I personally think he should find a way to cleanse saidin. That would solve problems!
 Back in Carhien, Rand is attacked by Dashiva and other Asha'man who have betrayed him for some reason. Have they gone mad?? I guess I kinda saw this coming, because the prophecies said that there will be dreadlords at Tarmon Gai'don and I imagine that this is where they come from. Too bad Rand couldn't kill Dashiva. That could be a big problem.

I think you should look to the M'heal maybe.

I thought the part with Rand destroying the Seachan was rather disturbing but nice to know that he DID have loyal Asha'man to him at least.

Sorry if this update is kind of crappy, but my heart just isn't in it today. I didn't want to make you guys wait any longer though. I did order Winter's Heart and it should arrive in a couple of days. Take Care!
-Joe

We understand, take care of yourself and I think you will enjoy Winter's Heart more then Path of Daggers. :)
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: April 28, 2009, 02:09:19 AM »
I wouldn't wish the punishment of being put under the control of an a'dam/sul'dam on anyone, though.

[I think that's actually a total lie.  :P]
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #546 on: April 28, 2009, 02:21:52 AM »
Sorry to hear about your friend, Joe. Hope you find a way to get through it.
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: April 29, 2009, 05:22:14 PM »
My sympathies on your friend, Joe.  I'm sure RJ would be happy to know that you are finding refuge in his writing during your time of grief. 

I don't think Liandrin is Damane, just a da'covale for Suroth.  I find it even more fitting that someone this evil to be reduced to a servant, and one who must wear see-through clothing as well.  She would be useless as a Damane anyway, that Shield may never be unraveled.

I am glad you like Faile, so many people find her annoying, but I think she's great.

Logain's kiss - pay very close attention to the way Toveine acts afterwards.  Does her behaviour seem strange to you?  What does it remind you of?

Not only does Elayne have to prove herself to be independant of Rand, but since most Andorans blame Morgase for the damage Rahvin caused, she now has to prove she will not follow in her mother's footsteps.  "Lord Gaebril" did some very bad things in Morgase's name.

The Callandor information Cadsuane gives out is what some believe to be the lesson she needs to teach Rand and the Asha'man, per Min's viewing.  I don't think it's that simple, personnally.  One thing I have always wondered is how she knows Callandor is flawed.

Dashiva, et al - don't tell me you are that surprised that some of the Asha'man are bad guys. 

Casco

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: April 29, 2009, 08:47:24 PM »
I partially agree about the Latra Posae thing.  She is no more to blame than Lews Therin.  All Aes Sedai knew that the greatest achievements the One Power created were the result of both halves being used.  Lews Therin chose to act without the female Aes Sedai, and the results were catastrophic.  I am not excusing the lack of action, I am saying that both sides were equally at fault.
?? The reason LT did end the AoL, was becouse Saidin was tainted and drove him mad. He did work with Aes Sedai all the way until the end. He did use the tainted Saidin, THAT ended ages of legends. Not the lack of using combined Saidar/Saidin.

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: April 29, 2009, 08:56:51 PM »
Casco, Darxbane is refering to the Strike at Shoyul Ghol that was supposed to use both the Male and Female halves of the power together to seal the DO in. The leader of the Female AS decided that none of them would go and help LTT and the 100 companions.
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: April 30, 2009, 02:37:44 PM »
Exactly Shard.  Now, it can be argued that both Saidar and Saidin could have been tainted, but it is much more likely that using only half of the power allowed the DO to slip in the taint.

JoeC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: May 02, 2009, 09:30:08 PM »
I appreciate the support you guys. It was very nice of you to say those things. It's hard for me but the Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills...... so some say.

Anyways, I got my copy of Winter's Heart today and I'll be starting it tomorrow. Expect updates soon!!

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: May 08, 2009, 12:55:37 PM »
Hope your enjoying WH JoeC. :)

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #553 on: May 08, 2009, 01:13:42 PM »
I'm sorry you lost a friend.  I'm not big on platitudes so I'll just leave it at that.

I particularly enjoyed Winter's Heart.  Ironically I was in the Border's in Plano, Texas.  Had lost track of WoT and had stopped reading for entertainment, because I was in a very ugly environment surrounded by people I literally feel were dark-friends in the real-world sense.  Then I pop into Border's on a whim and am trying to find a copy of the JPS Tanakh and Voila! There was  winter's heart. I was so tickled, I took it home and read it in two days.

I guess you could say I found winter's heart in the Heart of Winter, while I was dodging freezing rain.  I know cheesy. But it sure cheered me up.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 02:13:02 PM by Renoard »
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

yakumo fujii

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: May 10, 2009, 01:20:51 PM »
Exactly, that doesn't mean I don't like her as a character, though.  She was given a fascinating personality. 

Yukomo, what do you mean that's not how she acts?  Does she ever explain to anyone the reasons for her counsel?  Does she share her ideas and goals with other Aes Sedai (or even Rand) as equals do?  Most certainly not.  If you want her help, you must do it her way, and you must trust her. 

She explains herself to Verin and Sorilea.