Author Topic: WOT Help  (Read 136157 times)

Shard

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: WOT Help
« Reply #435 on: April 13, 2009, 05:30:41 PM »
Well in tDR when we see Ishy's body his mouth and eyes are black burned out holes. Though I suppose that could have something to do with the fact that he's dead but it just doesn't seem like a good thing to do to ones body.
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #436 on: April 13, 2009, 06:39:57 PM »
I was sure that Saidar/Saidin were The Source or the One Power and the other was the True Source or True Power alternatively.  Granted my last reading was nearly 3 years ago and hectic years they were.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

JoeC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: April 13, 2009, 10:17:03 PM »
Hey guys!! I got a lot of reading done last night, and I know I will finish it tonight and have a final update for you maybe tomorrow. I just figured I'd write one now because a lot happened last night.

Okay,

-Rand went to see the Sea Folk. He went to announce himself as the Coramoor. Although they claimed he had to Bargain with them, Rand wasn't having it. He basically told them what's up, and it's his way or the highway. He told them they WILL help transport soldiers and battle the Seanchan. The Wavemistress was stunned to find herself PULLED toward agreement. Rand feels that this is ta'varen working in his favor and leaves with Min.

Rand decides to take Min with him to settle the rebels. After leaving the gateway they immediately run into a lady that Min almost mistakes for Moiraine. She is Caraline Domodred. I'm hoping this turns out to be Moiraine's sister or something. BTW, the Damodred's and Trakand's are mixed together bunch if I recall correctly. I forget exactly who married who, but I always wondered if Moiraine and Elayne were related. Also, I wish I got to see Moiraine interact with her family when Rand and the Aeil were in Carhein.

But anyways a man named Darlin comes too and Min views that Caraline and Darlin are to be married, although it won't be an easy path getting there. With Min and Rand pretending to be Caraline's cousins (she knows who they are) they are led to a tent where there are the rebels with Aes Sedai, including Cadsuane, and a man named Toram who also holds affections towards Caraline and is EXTREMELY jealous. Finally, Rand spots Padan Fain. Man, my heart was racing when I read that. I've been WAITING for the two of them to square off. When Rand was explaining to Caraline who Fain was, I laughed when he said "He is a Darkfriend.......and a dead man." I wonder why Rand didn't immediately seize him with Air but I understand he was worried about the Aes Sedai, because a few of them were Red. A jealous Toram challenges Rand to spar with wooden sticks. It is a fairly even battle until Fain attacks. I didn't expect Fain to be this powerful. I always wondered how he overpowered a Myrrdral a couple of books back. I see how the powers he gains from/as Mordeth are useful. Amassing a huge fog and creating creatures that are made of the mist yet can kill in brutal ways. Rand reveals himself by using balefire on on of these things. That makes Toram fly into a rage, blaming Rand for all of it and runs away. It also earns him a swift slap across the face from Cadsuane. I like her a lot.

-Fain himself makes an attempt on Rand and actually scores a hit with his cursed dagger. Since the dagger is instant death he runs away. Fortunately the sisters were right there and could immediately apply Healing. My heart jumped in my throat when is said Fain got him with the knife because I remember the horrible death a Novice suffered from that blade when Fain was in the White Tower a while back. He cut Rand right over his unHealable wound from Ba'alzamon. When brought back to the palace the Asha'man decide to take a crack at Healing. One actually manages to do a better job than the Aes Sedai. She demands he teach her how he did it. LOL That had me laughing too. How awful it must have been for her to ASK a male channeler to teach her something. He claims he didn't really heal it, he sealed the wounds off from Rand. Only temporarily though. This was a really good chapter. I'm a little concerned that the wounds are only sealed off and not fully Healed. I bet Rand is going to wake up foaming at the mouth with revenge for Fain. I REALLY REALLY want to see Rand battle him.

-The Kin lead Nyneave, Elayne, Mat, Lan, and some soldiers to the house that holds the Bowl of the Winds. There they encounter two Black Ajah and other soldiers. A fierce battle ensues between Mat, Lan, and the Red Band against the Darkfriends while Nyneave battles the two Black Ajah herself....and they're LINKED. She begs Mat to go upstairs because she heard Elayne scream and felt channeling. (I see what you guys were saying about Nyneave's attitude changes.) When Mat arrives he finds chaos. Elayne is injured and several of Mat's soldiers are dead along with Reanne and a few Kin. Killed by a mystery man who Mat does battle with. He isn't named, but is faster and stronger than a Myrrdral and pretty much kicks the crap out of Mat. A soldier who tries to save Mat has his throat ripped out by this mystery man. Mat continues to fight the man and at one point on the ground, Mat's foxhead medallion slips out of his shirt and when it touches the mans face it burns him. Realizing he can use the medallion as a weapon, Mat chases the guy into a closet. But when Mat breaks the door down, the man is gone. They get the Bowl of the Winds, Heal anyone that can be healed, and Mat orders all of them to leave Ebou Dar immediately.
  Now THIS was a great chapter. I'm very intrigued by this mystery man Mat fought. Apparently he can channel, because he must've Traveled to get out of that closet. I don't know why he was burned by the medallion though. Is he MADE from the One Power?? LOL Perhaps I don't know everything about this medallion. Also, Elayne said her flows vanished with him, just like they did with Mat's medallion. As for his identity, I initially suspected Moridin/Ishamael. Now I'm not so sure. Remind you I haven't finished the book, so we'll see. I love it when Mat gets into the fight. I would have to say he's my favorite character right now. All the stuff with Queen Tylin is hilarious.

Okay, I should probably do more updates for a few reasons. First and most important, I know you guys like them and I really am humbled by your enjoyment of this thread. Second, so much stuff happens in a few chapters which means the longer time between updates, the bigger update I have to write. Unfortunately, since I have to cover so much, important things are left out. Like my update from a week ago. This update above, was only a couple of chapters, and look how long it is. There is lots to discuss. So if you guys feel I'm slacking......let me know! I'm always reading, and I can pretty much do an update anytime. I check this thread EVERY day so don't think your messages don't get through. This thread is for you guys as much as it is for me too!! So, I have only about 65 pages left and I will finish CoS tonight. Which means FINAL update tomorrow hopefully. I'm really excited to see how this ends. Take care guys!!!
-Joe

Vyrance

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: April 14, 2009, 01:24:40 AM »
that thing that Mat fought was the gholam.  gholams were pretty much made in order to assassinate channelers, because channeling has no effect on them.  the gholam can't use the power though.  he was able to escape by squeezing through a small hole, since they have no bones.  gholams are pretty cool creatures!

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #439 on: April 14, 2009, 02:31:27 AM »
Caraline Damodred and Moiraine are cousins. Elayne's father was also a Damodred, not sure exactly how related, but Morgase married him for political reasons. So they're all one big happy family. And yeah, the gholam is pretty cool. You'll see him again. Fortunately for Mat, the medallion is pretty much the only way to defend yourself.

We appreciate it whenever you update, JoeC!
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #440 on: April 14, 2009, 02:36:13 AM »
Killer gumbies on dust!

Damodred Demandred ... hmmm

I guess it's lucky for Rand that Cairhienin and Andoran nobles are okay with kissing cousins.

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #441 on: April 14, 2009, 02:39:27 AM »
Damodred Demandred ... hmmm

Don't think so.

I guess it's lucky for Rand that Cairhienin and Andoran nobles are okay with kissing cousins.

They're really not that closely related. Rand asks someone about it and she tells him that if the houses weren't noble, they wouldn't really be considered related.

Also, here's a link to the family tree that I think is spoiler-free.
http://linuxmafia.com/jordan/2_nondark/2.5_lurv/2.5.1_whos-who-fam.html
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: April 14, 2009, 03:11:04 AM »
Gholam is also what killed the philospher guy... I think your right about the Gholam being made of the power since the medallion seems to melt weaves made of power.

Yes Nynaeve is quickly becoming a much more easier to read character, not as cuastic when she doesn't have to contend with a block and now has her own "warder" of sorts.
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: April 14, 2009, 01:55:19 PM »
Gholam were, yet another wonderful creature, created by Aginor....

Philospher guy = Herid Fel
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 01:57:50 PM by Comfortable Madness »
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

achren99

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: April 14, 2009, 05:10:25 PM »
Yes, that chapter with Mat fighting the "mystery man"/Gholam is the one I was saying was like my favorite chapter in the series.  I wouldn't have told you who he was, but it seems everyone else has.  You probably find out who he is pretty soon.

I also love Mat--he's the coolest.  In the rest of the books he is still the coolest--starting with book 9 or so, I'd skip ahead and just read his parts before reading the rest of the book.  I'm bad, I know.

So--why are most guys I talk to ok with this whole "Rand loves 3 women" thing?  lol  I find Min EXTREMELY annoying and--I also find Rand annoying (like how he is insane and rude and all--not all his fault, but I just don't enjoy reading about him).

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: April 14, 2009, 05:24:36 PM »
Achren, it's no big deal to explain the gholam because in the very next chapter, 39, Birgitte explains it all to Mat.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: April 14, 2009, 05:43:44 PM »
It's not just the guys but the female WoT fan base seems just fine with it as well, so long as all four of them know and are willing to get into that sort of relationship very few seem to really be bothered by it. I'm curious to see if the movies get that far and keep the whole "Rand is going to marry three women."

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: April 14, 2009, 05:57:27 PM »
I think most people accept it because Rand and his three gals really have no control over it. All three are being forced by the pattern to Rand. Not that the forcing causes them to love him any less but they really have no choice in the matter. Take, for example, Aviendha who tried with all her will, and she is one with an extraordinary amount of will, to not fall for Rand. Yet in the end she did. Also, like Shard said, they are all informed and agree to the situation.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #448 on: April 14, 2009, 06:06:03 PM »
There are other reasons the polygyny seems natural.  We see an entire nation, the Aeil, practice it regularly and are being reintegrated.  It's not so much that the girls are okay with it as they planned it and arranged it without his consent.  And major portions of WoT World are governed directly or indirectly by a massive and corrupt quasi-religious matriarchy.

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: April 14, 2009, 07:02:02 PM »
Well it isn't like he is not in love with all three of them, not to mention he is Aiel afterall. We should be careful about this subject as JoeC is still on aCoS still.