Author Topic: WOT Help  (Read 135934 times)

Braus

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: WOT Help
« Reply #675 on: July 21, 2009, 06:57:05 PM »
hmm, ive always wondered why Fain visits Caemlyn aswell(after the TR) before he goes to the tower and get the dagger again.

Also im abit curious if Slayer killed anyone important when he stepped out of the dream world and killed a sleeping couple. I remember when i read it it seemed he had choosen the wrong couple to go stab, but i dont know.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: July 22, 2009, 12:27:41 AM »
Shadar Logoth is in no way related to the DO because the friends of the dark that lived in Adrihol were far to ambitious and corrupted the power of shadow to fight true shadow...
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Braus

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: July 23, 2009, 01:17:26 PM »
Well its related in the way that it fights the shadow. The two wounds in Rands side fights each other and keep each other at bay. Same thing when Rand cleansed the male true source, he battled the taint vs shadar logoth and cleansed it.

IngtarWhoStoleChristmas

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: July 23, 2009, 08:19:32 PM »
hmm, ive always wondered why Fain visits Caemlyn aswell(after the TR) before he goes to the tower and get the dagger again.

Also im abit curious if Slayer killed anyone important when he stepped out of the dream world and killed a sleeping couple. I remember when i read it it seemed he had choosen the wrong couple to go stab, but i dont know.

Fain visits Caemlyn chasing Rand/Mat (I don't recall any other time). With the people that he killed he was actually aiming for his "Nephew & the wench". (Nephew = Rand; Wench = Min). I thought the POV in his head basically said they were nobody, just in wrong place at wrong time.

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: July 23, 2009, 11:45:17 PM »
Slayer did kill some of the BA in the Tear that the Wondergirls had locked up.
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

AGrey

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: July 24, 2009, 01:50:40 AM »
Shadar Logoth is in no way related to the DO because the friends of the dark that lived in Adrihol were far to ambitious and corrupted the power of shadow to fight true shadow...

I like to think of it as:

DO = Lawful Evil (hierarchy, order, commands given and obeyed, everyone with a plan)

SL = Chaotic Evil (ambition, greed, paranoia, selfishness)

hmmm..... I wonder how the rest of the factions would go if you try to box it off in the DnD alignment grid?
My old account demented_yam is on the Warbreaker acknowledgments page.  Awesome.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: July 25, 2009, 04:07:35 AM »
That's freaky...to simplify matters like that is to invite mr. jordan's ghost to haunt you...but hey you have company over your midnight tea time! ::)
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

yakumo fujii

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: September 08, 2009, 05:43:40 PM »

- Thom finally let Mat read his letter from Moiraine and HOLY CRAP!!! She's alive!! I guess she's prisoner (?) to the Finn's and only Thom, Mat, and one other person (I think it might be Noal) can save her but only if they themselves go. Otherwise she will die. This had my heart racing. I'd LOVE to have Moiraine back in the story. I've wanted to see her reaction to certain events for a long time since she "died." I want to see her meet Cadsuane. I want to see her reaction the the cleansing of saidin. What she thinks of Egwene as Amyrlin seat. Potential Thom/Moiraine romance?? So many things!!! I'd love to see other Aes Sedai's reactions to her being alive, as she is now legendary among Aes Sedai for killing TWO Forsaken herself. This is one plot thread I will eagerly be awaiting.

Actually Moraine and Cadsuane have already met and it wasn't a pleasant meeting. Moraine suspects that Cadsuane may be a darkfriend. This all happened in the prequel novel A New Spring.

Now, since we've read Cadsaune's point of view we know she isn't a darkfriend, but Moraine doesn't. I don't think she'll like how close she's gotten to Rand.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: September 09, 2009, 04:49:09 AM »
Wasn't this thread killed?

Batchman

• Level 4
  • Can I get you some water?
    • View Profile
    • Official Gordon Korman Web Site
« Reply #684 on: September 09, 2009, 11:54:40 PM »
It seems it has been resurrected ... maybe somebody corrected it's aeon and brought it back to life.

IngtarWhoStoleChristmas

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: September 10, 2009, 11:04:32 PM »
Well we are all still waiting for JoeC's impressions of New Spring....

JoeC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: September 21, 2009, 11:22:18 PM »
Well we are all still waiting for JoeC's impressions of New Spring....

LOL I'll have to get on that soon. I'm read The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown right now. Then it may be Salvatore's new Drizzt book after. Don't worry, I still do frequent these boards and I'm happy about how my thread has provoked discussion.

Batchman

• Level 4
  • Can I get you some water?
    • View Profile
    • Official Gordon Korman Web Site
« Reply #687 on: September 23, 2009, 11:30:15 PM »
I'm doing my own reread ... though not at as fast a pace as I ought to.

Went through New Spring, Eye, and am now about halfway through Great Hunt.

I enjoyed new Spring and Eye a fair amount. Though I liked Great Hunt in the past, I am having a harder time staying interested in parts.

As I interact with some of these characters again, questions come to mind.

** Spoiler Warning **

I know that Verin is Black Ajah ... but am I the only one who gets the oddest feeling that she's almost more of a double agent? That she'll pay a heavy price for the way she has chosen to fight, but that she is really on the side of the light?

[edit]I have done some poking around on the internet. I can't remember exactly what convinced me that Verin is Black Ajah, but I am so convinced. As noted above, I somehow believe she is Black Ajah, -and- on the side of the light. But looking at the thoughts on the internet, I somehow suspect I will remain completely alone in this thought.[/edit]

** End Spoiler Warning **
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 11:57:28 PM by Batchman »

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: September 24, 2009, 01:16:45 AM »
Well she does lie in tGH. She tells Rand, "Moiraine sent me," which Moiraine later denies. But there are lots of theories on this. And I'm pretty sure that there's a good legitimate reason why Verin can't be a Darkfriend, but I can't remember what it is. I do like your idea of her being a double agent, though. That would be pretty cool.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: September 24, 2009, 03:19:06 AM »
I think Verin is on the good side and just used clever and ambiguous wording or stretching of the truth for that oft-quoted "lie".  "Moiraine (and what I learned from her) caused me to come" is, I believe, a technically correct possible meaning of the phrase "Moiraine sent me", and is completely true.  It's not her fault everyone interpreted it differently from how she meant it. ::)