Poll

What was the most awesomistic fight scene?

Kel VS Inquistor (Master of Push and Pull)
18 (37.5%)
Atium-burning Elend (The Last Stand)
4 (8.3%)
Mist-wielding Vin (Divine Power)
14 (29.2%)
Vin vs TLR (For Hope)
1 (2.1%)
Vin-to-the-rescue Vs Koloss (Horseshoe hero)
3 (6.3%)
Other (thats all i could think of)
8 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: Best Mistborn Fight Scene *SPOILERS*  (Read 10920 times)

Elmandr

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Best Mistborn Fight Scene *SPOILERS*
« on: November 03, 2008, 03:23:46 AM »
The idea for this thread sprung when a poster claimed (in another thread) that Kels fight vs the inquistor was the ulimate fight.

I disagree. But thats just me. I realize that-despite my vanity. Otherwise i wouldn't have posted this thread.  Anyhow, i picked Mist-wielding Vin. For obvious reasons. The first being that she flattened Kredrik Shaw. KREDRIK SHAW!

Plus she fought one, two, three...Nine Inquistors (i think). So, logically, that would make her fight nine times better, right. Right?

But then again, thats just me.  :P

To be honest, Kel's fight came in third for me--following Atium--induced Elend. Seriously. He was using a sword. And felled thousands of Koloss

And he used a sword.

What'd ya'll think?
"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Re: Best Mistborn Fight Scene *SPOILERS*
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 03:55:09 AM »
I cannot choose the "Best" because honestly I loved them all. But if I was forced to choose one, I'd pick Kel vs. Inquisitor because at that point the Inquisitors were really still unknown. We as readers didn't know their weakness yet, which made it all the more dramatic. Plus the writing in that segment always struck a good chord with me.

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 09:43:17 PM »
I always liked the fight where Vin killed Shan. It was her first go at really fighting another Mistborn and it was exciting.

Also, her "fights" with Zane were cool... they had... finesse...

Out of the ones in the poll, I'm not sure I can pick. Probably Vin vs. the Lord Ruler. Maybe.
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 09:51:40 PM »
I agree that Vin and Zane's fights were good examples of what allomancy could do. However, imagine you were a producer or director. Which fight do you think would be the funnest to shoot. or as a viewer, which fight do you think you would most enjoy to watch?
"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 02:10:26 AM »
For me, it has to be the Kelsier vs. Inquisitor battle, as long as you include the part where the Lord Ruler arrives and defeats Kelsier. The Inquisitor battle was so... wow, I'm literally shivering now that I'm recalling it. And, of course, I loved when the Lord Ruler arrived at last.

Everything about that segment was just so beautifully intertwined. Unlike Vin's final battle with the Inquisitors, this scene linked Vin, Elend, Kelsier, and the Lord Ruler into the scene in some way. Vin's outside perspective as Kelsier dies was what made that scene so resonant for me.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 03:46:36 AM »
Wow this is definately a tough question. there are just too many awesome fight scenes to pick from. I think there are quite a few excellent examples missing.  the first fight we ever see when Kel breaks in to Keep Venture will always hold a special place for me (killing all those hazekillers with a paperweight). Vin and Zane's final fight was also epic (defeating ATIUM!!!). Kel vs Inquisitor, Vin vs LR, Vin vs Koloss siege, Vin and Zane vs Cett's keep, Vin and the mist vs 13 Inquisitors, Elend and the Seers vs Marsh and the Koloss, etc... the list goes on and on. Personally, however, i would have to side with fights involving Sazed. Feruchemy pretty much rocks. if i had one problem with Hero of Ages it was that the inquisitors didn't use it to its full potential.  Sazed fighting Marsh in Kredik Shaw was awesome. For not being a warrior, Sazed kicks butt.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 10:53:28 PM »
I will also go with Kel v Inquisitor.  He didn't have duralumin, or divine power, he was just really, really good with the abilities he had.  If you add in the fact that he was trying to save other people while fighting, it really makes the fight.  Plus it's a cool addition for Vin to realize that Kelsier had been teaching her his best skill, not holding her back on the other metals. 

This being said, I still think my favorite overall scene is Vin rocketing through the air, giving Straff just enough time to realize his doom before she shears him in half.  In my opinion, Straff was the most truly evil person in the books, so I didn't have one hint of sympathy for him.  If this is ever made into a movie, the cheers at this scene will be heard outside the theatre.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

JoeC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 11:53:00 PM »
Would definitely have to say that Kelsier vs. The Steel Inquisitor is my favorite. I had to stand up while reading that. An earlier poster mentioned that it was because the Inquisitors were still unknown and we didn't know their weaknesses. Therefore, we were worried for Kelsier because he was fighting something that we had previously thought invincible. Kind of like Neo's subway fight with Agent Smith in The Matrix. Not to say I didn't enjoy the other fight scenes in the series because I definitely did. But there is that soft spot for Kelsier. LOL

jjb

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 01:51:21 AM »
You know, if Mistborn were a movie, then the most visually appealing fight scenes would have to be with Mistborn. And Mistborn fight scenes are the only ones you gave. But if I were to choose the my favorite fight scenes(i know favorite isn't necessarily the same as best), I would probably pick fights where Vin was just learning her power(i.e. killing of the lady mistborn in final empire) or when Sazed became a beast in WoA, defending Luthadel and killing all those koloss.

Those aren't the best choreographed fight scenes, but they're my favorite because a)Vin wasn't "perfect" in her allomancy yet or b) what Sazed did was just amazing and the emotion in reading him giving hope to Luthadel's people was the highest the books ever got emotionally for me.

So that's why I voted other(and I am alone in that)

spejoku

• Level 3
  • Insanity isn't all that bad really.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 03:33:06 AM »
...she broke the cloud barrier and flattened Kredik Shaw (freaking Kredik Shaw!) along with blasting inquisitors out of the air with their spikes.  Mist Vin wins.

I wonder if that's what it would be like to burn duralamin but not have the metals dissapear.  only it's god duralamin.
Tacos: the food of choice for awesome people

Dalenthas

• Level 2
    • View Profile
Vin Vs Shan
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 02:58:10 PM »
I'm gonna go with the fight between Vin and Shan Elarial in the first book. Sure, it might not be the most epic of fight scenes in the books, but it had a definate sense of danger and awe and it was, IMO, the best written fight. The archers, the atium, the whole fight was just awesome. Vin's trick of shutting off her atium early to make Shan think she ran out... brilliant. And it didn't require bending the rules like the fight with Zane did. (OK, I understand how she did it, but how she managed to change direction of her swing so fast and still have enough force to kill Zane with it was kinda cheap, IMO).

When Vin's pwning Inquisitors at the end of HoA I was kinda meh. Oddly enough, I think it would have been more suspensefull if there were fewer Inquisitors involved. Apparently the Inverse Ninja Law applies to Steel Inquisitors as well. I know it was supposed to show just how awesome Vin was, but really it made the Inquistors just look like chumps.

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Re: Vin Vs Shan
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 01:31:02 AM »
I'm gonna go with the fight between Vin and Shan Elarial in the first book. Sure, it might not be the most epic of fight scenes in the books, but it had a definate sense of danger and awe and it was, IMO, the best written fight. The archers, the atium, the whole fight was just awesome. Vin's trick of shutting off her atium early to make Shan think she ran out... brilliant. And it didn't require bending the rules like the fight with Zane did. (OK, I understand how she did it, but how she managed to change direction of her swing so fast and still have enough force to kill Zane with it was kinda cheap, IMO).

When Vin's pwning Inquisitors at the end of HoA I was kinda meh. Oddly enough, I think it would have been more suspensefull if there were fewer Inquisitors involved. Apparently the Inverse Ninja Law applies to Steel Inquisitors as well. I know it was supposed to show just how awesome Vin was, but really it made the Inquistors just look like chumps.

In regard to Vin's final fight with the Inquisitors, I think there was an obvious unfair advantage for Vin. Most of the Inquisitors had only been recently made, and still really didn't fully comprehend their powers I think. Granted Vin was still something of a n00b when it came to fully using her power, but she was definitely more adept at it than the new Inquisitors were methinks.

bhthomas

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 03:17:22 AM »
I really liked the tin savant spook fight scenes. How he could tell when an attack was coming because the he could hear the air moving, that's just cool. And Pre misborn Elend taking on a koloss.Those are just my favorites but the best fight scene i would have to say is kel vs. Inquisitors. Just because at the time he was fighting and winning against something that people had thought were as invincible and powerful as the lord ruler. That fight IMO was what pushed every one over the edge to finally realize they could revolt.

Xekim

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 08:38:27 AM »
Kelsier's fight with the Inquisitor was indeed better written in my opinion.  However, due to the way my mind works, converting everything i read into a near-movie quality picture in my mind (Exaggerated a bit, but I'm good at perceiving imagery) the fight between Vin and the Inquisitors in HoA just made go "Wow!"  Some say the fight wasn't epic, or that there were variables that, when taken into account, make the fight less enjoyable, but I found it fascinating to see what certain metals could do when push to insane extremes.  It re-sparked by love for Iron and Steel, in much the way the Kelsier/Inquisitor fight did.  The Mist just kept growing.  While in her normal state she was very much overpowered.  Yes, The inquisitors may have been recently made, but I don't think that a bunch of older ones could have fared much better...

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 07:06:21 PM »
I think Kelsier vs. Inquisitor was the best. It was the first big fight in the books so you kind of have to compare everything else to it. Not that the other fights weren't cool, but this one was extremely well written and had a big impact in the storyline. Everyone does impossible stuff, but Kelsier did it first!
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott