Author Topic: Are you serious?!  (Read 5986 times)

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Are you serious?!
« on: November 02, 2008, 03:21:14 AM »
Although I thought of posting this in the Role Playing Games forum, I decided against it and decided to post it here as it is accompanied by a small rant.

http://www.giantitp.com/index.html

Again, I repeat. ARE. YOU. SERIOUS?! Oh no, the devil's game raised money for starving children! We cannot take their dark and evil currency to help give water and food and medical supplies to people suffering. We'll let our pathetic hate cloud our judgments and refuse a donation to our charity and let these kids suffer some more.

Now, the charity may have every right to turn down a contribution, but in doing so, in my opinion, makes them pathetic and cowardly and evil.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Are you serious?!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 05:32:49 AM »
Honestly, I don't think hate had anything to do with it. I think they just plain don't understand gaming. Whoever it was who made the decision to turn it down probably was out protesting against Harry Potter too.

Some people just don't understand what fantasy is for. It's not due to malice; they just...don't get it.

Sure is dumb though.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 05:33:44 AM »
I agree with the sentiment, entirely. What were they thinking? I understand that a charity has every right to refuse, or accept, any and all donations that come to them, but I would think that a Christian charity would be more tolerable of where the money comes from. I honestly don' t think that they pre-screen all their charitable donations do they? That would be an awful lot of time and effort just to make sure that the "wrong" people weren't donating to your charity. And if they are willing to give, are they really the "wrong" people?? Frustrating, especially for someone like me, who is not only a gamer, but someone who gives to charities when I have the extra money.  

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 07:47:17 AM »
If I came across as a little heated in the previous post it was because I don't usually stop to think when I'm mad and typing.  :D

Mok: You're probably right, about the "just not understanding," but it saddens me that such ignorance can still exist.

What I don't understand is that Mr. Gygax himself donated for years to the CCF and was never turned down (which is ironic considering he is one of the father's of the game lol). He should be public enemy #1 to them.

MrPaperCamel

• Level 12
  • Camel Superiority
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 04:01:29 PM »
Stuff like this really bothers me. Christians are supposed to be a think first, act later group of people. Self promoted as not being over-judgmental. A willingness to show compassion to the person and not the sin. These were the big things I was raised with. And aside from what my beliefs are now, I still yearn to see these things from the Christians communities because it is exactly what they preach. But, things like this just help promote the secular conception of Christians. The exact opposite of everything I just mentioned. Sometimes it feels like they are trying to find reasons to bring themselves back to what everyone thinks they are really like.
If it's not on fire, it's usually a software problem.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 12:43:25 PM »
Yes, a fairly moronic decision.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 05:52:51 PM »
I'm guessing that either it was a different person making the decision or they just didn't know who Gary Gygax was before.

I understand the desire of a religious group to avoid association with evil or the appearance of evil. D&D is not evil and does not teach kids to worship demons, but the perception problem has been out there for decades. I'm not saying it's the D&D community's responsibility to counter a perception problem that wasn't their fault in the first place, but have they been trying to counter it, or have they mostly been just ignoring it?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 11:43:25 PM »
Well, as a D&D gamer, and a giver to charities when I have extra lying about, I never thought that I needed to announce, or defend, the fact that I was a gamer who also gave to charities. The fact that this charity was to be the featured charity at this event is what made the fact that they were being given money by a certain group obvious. I don't hide the fact that I am a gamer, and I honestly haven't done D&D in quite some time due to a lack of people to play with, but I don't advertise it either.

But, I  don't really know how D&D gamers could actively change their image with the religious groups that label them as evil. Most of the extreme groups that feel that way wouldn't bother to read, see, or hear anything that was said that contradicted their view point, at least that is my experience with that kind of person. My step-dad can be that way, his way is the only way, and just because you have proof that his way is wrong, or not the only way, that doesn't mean that he has to see or hear it. Very frustrating for me, but that is neither here nor there.

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 06:53:11 PM »

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 09:25:22 PM »
no offense but thats kinda what I figured  :-\
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 11:15:02 PM »
Honestly, I can see that being a cover for the after the fact negativity that it receives, simply because of how many religious zealots still see roleplaying in general as evil. I'm not saying for a fact it is, it just wouldn't surprise me if it was.

I think it's ironic how D&D players especially can still see some backlash from the old "Dark dungeons" comic from the 80's, which pretty much started the hate against it  :-\
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2008, 06:22:48 PM »
The real fear religious groups have about fantasy is the comparison.  If the Lord of the Rings, D&D, etc, are all made up, then is the bible made up as well?  If elves never really existed, do angels?  I'm not defending their position, but I know from talking to other Christians that this is what some believe.  A guy I work with believes that just by having a TV on in your house you are choosing sin over God.  He's really been on a roll since the election.  Most of you know why if you have heard what Obama is being portrayed as.  I won't repeat it because it beyond ludicris, but this is what you deal with sometimes.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 10:33:47 PM »
The real fear religious groups have about fantasy is the comparison.  If the Lord of the Rings, D&D, etc, are all made up, then is the bible made up as well?  If elves never really existed, do angels?  I'm not defending their position, but I know from talking to other Christians that this is what some believe.  A guy I work with believes that just by having a TV on in your house you are choosing sin over God.  He's really been on a roll since the election.  Most of you know why if you have heard what Obama is being portrayed as.  I won't repeat it because it beyond ludicris, but this is what you deal with sometimes.

I'm sorry, but I can find no good way to describe this except as a straw man.  There may be some individuals whose grasp on reality is weak enough that they can't distinguish between things written as fictional and things written as historical (which includes most of the Bible---no matter what you think of it, it was intended to be believed as historical, with perhaps some exceptions), but such people are (a) not typical of any healthy group of people anywhere, including the adherents of any religion I am familiar with and (b) in serious need of help in the modern world, which is also not typical of any religious group I am familiar with.

Incidentally, I strongly suspect that your coworker who refuses to have a T.V. in his house is not suffering from this particular problem.  There are real issues with the influence the media has over the public perception, and their ability to frame issues which offends many people of all stripes.  That you understood it in terms of the above straw man is much more indicative of your understanding than his.  That doesn't mean you have to agree with him (I doubt I agree with him either, certainly not about Obama being the Antichrist), but I doubt you understand him.
Nature hates being reified.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 08:19:58 PM »
Oh, I understand him quite well, believe me, and he is part of a Baptist church that has a very large following.  Are saying you are not familiar with Catholics (who believe the Harry Potter books are evil, as do some Protestant groups), or the Quakers, who have shunned the modern world almost entirely?  Fear is fear, and it is seldom rational.  I am not saying that the members of these groups all think the same, but unfortunately those that are extremists always seem to be the ones who get on the news.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 09:06:36 PM »
I think you're confusing the Quakers with the Amish/Mennonites.