Favorite book in the trilogy.

Mistborn: The Final Empire
13 (38.2%)
Mistborn: Well of Ascension
4 (11.8%)
Mistborn: Hero of Ages
17 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: The Mistborn Trilogy. *Spoilers*  (Read 7751 times)

Elmandr

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Mistborn Trilogy. *Spoilers*
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 09:59:00 PM »
However, its just his name--names nowadays say little about a person...
"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

GoryCat

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2008, 11:40:37 PM »
Just fyi, GoryCat, my actual username is Chaos2651, this is just my holiday name change. I like to be confusing that way.

Ah, thanks.  I recognized your picture and your writing style, but was thrown off by the name.  I'm new to posting but I've been reading a while longer.

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 11:44:21 PM »
Just fyi, GoryCat, my actual username is Chaos2651, this is just my holiday name change. I like to be confusing that way.

Ah, thanks.  I recognized your picture and your writing style, but was thrown off by the name.  I'm new to posting but I've been reading a while longer.

your right, his writing style is a bit like a vampire sucking your blood through your neck...except its a little worse, i think.
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2008, 12:29:30 AM »
Elmandr, I think you mean that my writing still is just imbued with life force. It's vibrant! (Yay, the sub-text in those two sentences!)

I think one of the reasons why I didn't like Well of Ascension as much as Final Empire or Hero of Ages is because it did not really focus on the classical era of Scadriel (that is, Alendi/Kwaan/Rashek's time period). After that remarkable twist in FE, I wanted to know what the Lord Ruler's final words meant in the greatest detail. These questions about the mythology and the magic captivated me more than the notion of "what happens after the Dark Lord is defeated?" was. So, for what I wanted in the book, it definitely lagged until the koloss attacked. After that point, the book was extremely dynamic, but before that (with the exception of the scene where Vin and Zane attack the keep), it lagged a lot.

It all comes down to what you wanted with the book. Me, I wanted more of the mythology, so the ending of Well of Ascension was extremely satisfying in that regard. However, the first couple of sections in the book weren't the same sort of dynamic coolness that FE was. One of the reasons why I didn't like Zane was that he wasn't nearly as destructive as Kelsier could be. Zane seemed more like some homicidal emo than an actually cool character. Zane was remarkably well reigned-in compared with Kelsier. Zane was so conflicted, he was just "mysterious" and inactive. The character did not mesh with me at all. Knowing that he was controlled by Ruin does not make me pity him any more.

I wanted answers with mythology, you see, and Hero of Ages far surpasses Well of Ascension in that regard.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2008, 09:26:13 AM »
Elmandr, I think you mean that my writing still is just imbued with life force. It's vibrant! (Yay, the sub-text in those two sentences!)

I think one of the reasons why I didn't like Well of Ascension as much as Final Empire or Hero of Ages is because it did not really focus on the classical era of Scadriel (that is, Alendi/Kwaan/Rashek's time period). After that remarkable twist in FE, I wanted to know what the Lord Ruler's final words meant in the greatest detail. These questions about the mythology and the magic captivated me more than the notion of "what happens after the Dark Lord is defeated?" was. So, for what I wanted in the book, it definitely lagged until the koloss attacked. After that point, the book was extremely dynamic, but before that (with the exception of the scene where Vin and Zane attack the keep), it lagged a lot.

It all comes down to what you wanted with the book. Me, I wanted more of the mythology, so the ending of Well of Ascension was extremely satisfying in that regard. However, the first couple of sections in the book weren't the same sort of dynamic coolness that FE was. One of the reasons why I didn't like Zane was that he wasn't nearly as destructive as Kelsier could be. Zane seemed more like some homicidal emo than an actually cool character. Zane was remarkably well reigned-in compared with Kelsier. Zane was so conflicted, he was just "mysterious" and inactive. The character did not mesh with me at all. Knowing that he was controlled by Ruin does not make me pity him any more.

I wanted answers with mythology, you see, and Hero of Ages far surpasses Well of Ascension in that regard.

While I can see where you're coming from, I'm going to have to disagree on one point. You said that WoA didn't really touch on the classical era of Scadriel (Alendi/Kwaan/Rashek), but I think it was doubly important for a few reasons.

1) Kwaan's metal script which made up the chapter bumps were incredibly insightful into the mind of the Terrisman at that time, as well as further explore Alendi's character. We already had Alendi's first person view from the journal in FE, but now we had an outside objective source from the man who knew him better than anyone. I always read these parts and really wanted to know more about Alendi's journey.

2) It sets up Ruin's influence and starts to show us his ability to manipulate that which is not cast in steel.

3) In a way, it influenced Sazed himself into following the same path as Kwaan did with believing someone was the HoA. Obviously, like Kwaan, he realizes something is amiss, but unlike Kwaan, is too late to stop it. I found this to be an incredible character development for Sazed, for it was after this that he finally lost faith. (obviously I'm biased, since Sazed is my favorite character, and I felt like his character's journey was incredibly paced and written  :)).

As for Zane, I've found it's either a love him or leave him type situation. It is incredibly split down the middle for like/dislike of the character. I always just found him interesting. /shrug

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2008, 05:46:19 PM »
I agree with Chaos2651, Zane didn’t feel like a necessary character to me. Most of WoA he spent his time trying to manipulate Vin instead of being active and actually doing something. He was little more than a representation of Kelsier used to add tension to the story.

Admittedly, I’m not a compassionate person. Someone who cuts himself is—in my opinion—a moron, and that’s exactly how I think of Zane, as a moron.
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2008, 05:51:47 PM »
Ruin's inability to change what's written in metal is prolly due entirely to the fact that he can't see what's written on it.

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2008, 08:59:40 PM »

While I can see where you're coming from, I'm going to have to disagree on one point. You said that WoA didn't really touch on the classical era of Scadriel (Alendi/Kwaan/Rashek), but I think it was doubly important for a few reasons.

1) Kwaan's metal script which made up the chapter bumps were incredibly insightful into the mind of the Terrisman at that time, as well as further explore Alendi's character. We already had Alendi's first person view from the journal in FE, but now we had an outside objective source from the man who knew him better than anyone. I always read these parts and really wanted to know more about Alendi's journey.

2) It sets up Ruin's influence and starts to show us his ability to manipulate that which is not cast in steel.

3) In a way, it influenced Sazed himself into following the same path as Kwaan did with believing someone was the HoA. Obviously, like Kwaan, he realizes something is amiss, but unlike Kwaan, is too late to stop it. I found this to be an incredible character development for Sazed, for it was after this that he finally lost faith. (obviously I'm biased, since Sazed is my favorite character, and I felt like his character's journey was incredibly paced and written  :)).

As for Zane, I've found it's either a love him or leave him type situation. It is incredibly split down the middle for like/dislike of the character. I always just found him interesting. /shrug

Yes there were some things that revealed themselves in WOA but i think what chaos is trying to say is that the focus was on the rebuilding and confliction of the now TLR-less world. He did mention that the very end gave him what he was looking for, however, it was a fairly long book--i can only imagine the exasperation he felt as he read through them...

For me though, i wasn't too interested in the specifics and the clarification of the prophecies and engine behind Scadriels deterioration. I was more interseted in how the characters would get through the impossible...again.

I remember, way back when i was reading FE, thinking "This is the craziest thing...their actually gonna do this...?" (something along those lines) and i remember reading the part where the crew met to discuss what exactly they were gonna do--it seemed so dire. However, when they finally managed to overthrow TLR, it didn't feel forced or...i don't know--like somebody was sitting in a chair saying "Okay, the stories gotta end now. The lord ruler dies, every thing is dandy, the end."

It was believable. And yet it still amazed me that they did it. I don't think its coming out clearly enough. Imagine how wierd it must feel to believe something that was supposedly impossible is done--now imagine how hard it it to believe it knowing its a fictional story....

See what i mean.

I'm not sure if i'm making any sense.

Really, each book surprised me in that sense, but book one had kelsier...'nough said.
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2008, 11:02:16 PM »
What I meant about WoA was that it did not provide answers to many setting situations. It explained the Deepness--which I was thankful for--but what I wanted was answers, not more questions. Of course, once I read HoA, I was thankful for WoA more (because the questions it posed were the perfect setup for HoA). However, I still liked WoA the least, because it lagged in the center there. I can only attribute a lot of this lag to Zane. In fact, I don't even like the name "Zane". Everything about him made me... not care.

Elend, on the other hand, is my favorite character throughout the trilogy. His character arc was handled very well in WoA. Well of Ascension is still a good book, I don't want to sound like I'm belittling it. I just thought... well, it's all Zane's fault I didn't like the book as much.

That being said, once I do a reread of the entire trilogy, I may change my mind, but I think it's unlikely. Final Empire is #1, Hero of Ages a close #2, and then Well of Ascension easily #3. I don't think that any amount of rereads will change that, because I remember my pure visceral reaction to finishing each book. Final Empire was the most powerful to me.

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2008, 04:12:11 AM »
Chaos brings up a good point. Approach the question with the prospective of how you liked each book as an individual--and not what it did for the trilogy as a whole...

If that were the question, than Fe would be the least significant--since defeating TLR was the primary problem in it, and such a negligible piece in the book...

If that were the question, I think we'd all agree that HOA is at the top of the list...

"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2008, 04:57:22 AM »
Well, HoA was a fantastic conclusion to the trilogy. No denying that.

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2008, 11:57:27 AM »
Well, HoA was a fantastic conclusion to the trilogy. No denying that.

Agreed.  :)

The Hat Monster is right, it is based on personal feelings towards the books. I just personally liked WoA. /shrug.
Not trying to change anyone's mind or anything lol.  :D

Xekim

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2008, 08:11:27 PM »
HoA was my favorite with Final Empire being an incredibly close second.  I loved WoA too, but something about HoA clicked with me.  I just couldn't put it down.  The final battle between Vin and 13 Inquisitors, Elend and the Atium Mistings fighting for their lives and Vin empowering Elend in that fight.  All the things revealed and left open.  It just was all brilliant.  The reason HoA most clicked with me was the ending and how Sazed paved the way for a a lot more potential for Mistborn universe. 

USNAVYAM08

• Level 2
  • there's always another secret
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2008, 06:25:28 PM »
HoA was my favorite no doubt. but it didnt have my favorite scence from the trilogy. that forver will be kel fighting the inquisitor.
there's always another secret
Arizona Cardinals 4-3
Phoenix Suns 2-1

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2008, 06:56:12 PM »
It was a tough choice between TFE and HOA.  In the end I picked HOA.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。