Author Topic: On the essence of Mistborn.  (Read 4037 times)

Elmandr

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
On the essence of Mistborn.
« on: October 24, 2008, 05:06:30 PM »
I, after reading HOA and letting out an "OOooha Man!" in attempt to express the sheer awesomness of the Trilogy, approached my bookshelf and tried to catergorize it...

I wasn't sure where to put it, and i still don't know:

Should i place it Near Goodkinds Sword of Truth Series? It is a fantasy epic that has plenty to do with a young couple in love.

Should I have placed it In my Mystery category? I presume you all know why that is a possibility.

then i saw The Name of The Wind, and Brandon's Mistborn Rivals it in uniqueness.

I was also tempted to shelf it near my WOT books.

I think you are all beginning to see me problem.

So, with that in mind, in a sentence how would y'all describe and/or categorize Mistborn?

"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

GreedyAlgorithm

• Level 1
    • View Profile
Re: On the essence of Mistborn.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 05:37:17 PM »
"Written by someone whose last name is s-a-n-d-e-r-s-o-n."

I think my organization scheme is different than yours... :D

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 05:55:33 PM »
only slightly
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 09:21:47 PM »
While my system is different, I think it is kind of similar....I don't categorize based on content so much as I categorize based on enjoyment. I have Brandon with Melanie Rawn, another of my favorites, with Anne McCaffrey, with Gone with the Wind and Scarlett, and Alice Borchardt as well. No rhyme or reason really, just shelved as my enjoyment dictates. I don't know if that will help you though.

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 06:08:04 AM »
Don't think I'd be much help, all my stuff is organized by genre.  ;D

I find it the easiest set-up for me.

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 06:21:18 AM »
I know! I know!! With all your other Brandon Sanderson books! With Elantris and Alcatraz! :D

Relient A

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 05:03:53 PM »
I'm having a big problem with this because I only have one bookshelf. Top shelf is currently Terry Brooks, second shelf is Orson Scott Card and Robert Jordan, and the bottom is classified as "other". And thusly, I haven't even really put my Sanderson books in there yet. Waiting on getting a new shelf to work with.

But in the more strict sense of the question, all I really have is fantasy/sci-fi, hence the alphabitzed order. Trying to arrange them by type would be confusing since Alcatraz would be over here, and Mistborn would be over there.
The following Statement is True.
The Previous statement is False.
(bythe way, that's a self-reliant paradox)

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 06:36:07 PM »
You guys try too hard.  My books are literally all stacked up in my closet randomly on some larger shelves.  I know where they all are.  It's great.

It would take someone else a good twenty minutes to find anything, though.  Like literally; fantasy, classics, mythological, contemporary, sci-fi, writing, linguistics, etc...are all just mixed up together.  Let's call it ordered chaos.

On a similar, yet, unrelated note--you all should see my writing notes.  If I died halfway through writing the series I am planning, there would be no one who would be able to put the rest of the story together.  Nothing is in order and most of it is just random note after random note.

Here, let me grab one. 

On a sticky note that was attached to some prose that had nothing to do with the note: "Dagger doesn't really hold hidden powers...it's just a piece of the puzzle you need on the road to TDP.  The enchantment may work now...think."

Or this:
"On Atrius:
 'I should feel guilty.'
He didn't.

It's going to be hell when I actually have to put this all together!  Woo!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 06:45:59 PM by Wielder »
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 07:27:45 PM »
You guys try too hard.  My books are literally all stacked up in my closet randomly on some larger shelves.  I know where they all are.  It's great.

It would take someone else a good twenty minutes to find anything, though.  Like literally; fantasy, classics, mythological, contemporary, sci-fi, writing, linguistics, etc...are all just mixed up together.  Let's call it ordered chaos.

On a similar, yet, unrelated note--you all should see my writing notes.  If I died halfway through writing the series I am planning, there would be no one who would be able to put the rest of the story together.  Nothing is in order and most of it is just random note after random note.

Here, let me grab one. 

On a sticky note that was attached to some prose that had nothing to do with the note: "Dagger doesn't really hold hidden powers...it's just a piece of the puzzle you need on the road to TDP.  The enchantment may work now...think."

Or this:
"On Atrius:
 'I should feel guilty.'
He didn't.

It's going to be hell when I actually have to put this all together!  Woo!

Duuuuude.  If there was such a thing as linguistic acrobatics, i can imagine that as a primary example. Either that, or on the blooper reel for the sport...i can't real tell yet.

Reminds me of the Metal art--where the "Artists" put together a pile of mashed up or smoothed up slabs and chunks of I'm sitting there thinking, "Is there a specific order to all this? Was this intentional? Perhaps he knew that the pompous rich folk wouldn't dare call it crap, fearing that others might understand it and they will be seen as less than competent. So they sit there admiring in full focus. Making his random, artless piece, into an "abstract" art...
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008, 09:07:17 PM »
Ah, yes <nodding head in a sagely manner> The "Emperor's New Clothes Syndrome." (ENCS) It affects so much of the arts now-a-days.

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2008, 10:05:30 PM »
Ah, yes <nodding head in a sagely manner> The "Emperor's New Clothes Syndrome." (ENCS) It affects so much of the arts now-a-days.

That nod, where have i seen it before?

...My psychiatrist.
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2008, 11:31:59 PM »
As I'm trying to type this post, I quickly realize that my bookshelf is far stranger than anyone else's.

My top shelf is stuffed full of video games (hey, give me a break. I'm a college student and bookshelves happen to be the best organizational thing anyone could ever have!), and my second one has CDs and DS games. Then I have my third shelf completely devoted to school-related stuff. My fourth shelf has a bunch of box sets.

My final is the one with Mistborn, Elantris, and, uh... Eragon. Yeah. My organizational technique works like this: "I puts them where there's room". Though, in retrospect, I should really switch the fourth and fifth shelves of stuff around. For some reason Mistborn--the books I pick up the most--is on the shelf which is the most inaccessible, because right now there is a stack of boxes blocking the bottom shelf.

So yeah, the answer is "put them where there is room."

...You should all be happy I don't work at a library.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2008, 03:44:10 AM »
As I'm trying to type this post, I quickly realize that my bookshelf is far stranger than anyone else's.

My top shelf is stuffed full of video games (hey, give me a break. I'm a college student and bookshelves happen to be the best organizational thing anyone could ever have!), and my second one has CDs and DS games. Then I have my third shelf completely devoted to school-related stuff. My fourth shelf has a bunch of box sets.

My final is the one with Mistborn, Elantris, and, uh... Eragon. Yeah. My organizational technique works like this: "I puts them where there's room". Though, in retrospect, I should really switch the fourth and fifth shelves of stuff around. For some reason Mistborn--the books I pick up the most--is on the shelf which is the most inaccessible, because right now there is a stack of boxes blocking the bottom shelf.

So yeah, the answer is "put them where there is room."

...You should all be happy I don't work at a library.

Yeah i'll find a medical journal about a paraplegic in the midst of the children's section...

What i mean, though, by the question, is what category of fantasy does it fit in. The First law books, i would call grim or Dark Fantasy. Then, of course, theres the epics that i presume i need not explain. There is also a type that Patrick Rothfuss calls Epic Heroism--which is the epic life of a single person, rather than the epic of story of a world. There is also Romantic Fantasy...

Where in these, and other categories that i'm sure i missed (feel free to point out), does Mistborn fit?

Of course its Epic, but its also a Romance, and it gets pretty explicit at times (marsh breaking Vin one bone at a time)...so it does have a Dark aspect...

what do you think?
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2008, 04:11:34 AM »
If I was going to categorize it with one of those, I'd go with "epic fantasy."

"Romantic fantasy" is more like Patricia McKillip or something... And I'm not really sure what could be categorized as "dark fantasy."

But like many people, I don't categorize my bookshelf. I think Elantris is next to some Jane Austen and Mistborn is crammed in with all my Tolkien stuff...
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2008, 08:41:28 AM »
I don't think Mistborn is too dark to be real dark fantasy. Sure, it's dark, but I wouldn't classify the characters as "dark". You could claim that Kelsier is dark, but he always smiles, so it's a stretch to call him a darker character because he ruthlessly kills noblemen.

While it has its romantic elements, Mistborn is epic fantasy. It's classic epic fantasy, but at the same time, it's refreshing epic fantasy. That's what makes it a great book.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.