Author Topic: Hero of Ages, job well done  (Read 14842 times)

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
Re: Hero of Ages, job well done
« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2008, 07:58:02 PM »
(clap clap)
That was fricken amazing!
I loved it!
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2008, 05:51:13 AM »
I read until 2 in the morning, and that was knowing I had to get up at 4 the next day. It was more than worth every second of sleep I lost.

BEST BOOK EVER!

Ok. I felt the need. Now you can all go on with your lives.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 21, 2008, 11:58:16 PM »
No book for GM. I am away from home and my book is at home. :(. I think I might cry
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 22, 2008, 12:06:05 AM »
Yeah I just want to say the book was fricking AMAZING!!!!! I would say more, but I am afraid that would cheapen it...I feel like my heart is still pounding almost a day later.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2008, 01:31:22 AM »
Yeah I just want to say the book was fricking AMAZING!!!!! I would say more, but I am afraid that would cheapen it...I feel like my heart is still pounding almost a day later.

...the best part is...i'm not sure its over...i mean, is it?
"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2008, 06:50:54 AM »
Over for some years... After Brandon gets a few seconds together to breath, maybe we'll see some more. :)

bhthomas

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 22, 2008, 08:39:16 AM »
Its 12:35 in the morning and after 4 days I finally finished it.Wow.Its just... WOW. Now i have to take another 4 days to get through the spoilers thread since it seems to be growing rather fast.

Again, Best book  ever and the greatest ending possible.
Thank you Brandon Sanderson!

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2008, 02:08:43 AM »
Has everyone read Patrick Rothfuss's review of Hero of Ages on Amazon?
"Simply said, Brandon Sanderson's books are so good that they're starting to piss me off. It just doesn't seem fair that someone should be about to write this well, this fast."
ROTFL. Oh, boy. You know, as much as I love Brandon's work, it makes me look at my own half-finished bits of different stories and think, "Ha, why did I ever think I could be a published author again?" But then I think about one thing that Brandon said in a Writing Excuses ep. He said (to paraphrase) that both tenacity an talent matter. Sometimes, you can have 90% talent but only 10% tenacity and so you just don't stay in the game long enough or put in enough time to get published or be more than a one-book wonder. I think perhaps I just need to be more tenacious and well, not to compare myself to one of the best new SF authors in the biz. ;)
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2008, 08:06:28 AM »
One of the great things about Brandon's writing philosophy is that he's not afraid to take those bits of stories that didn't work somewhere and put them somewhere else where they work better. He's not married to the integrity of a work; when Mistborn Prime and Final Empire Prime didn't work, he wasn't afraid to scrap them and build something awesome from the scraps. That's a huge example of killing your darlings.

Even knowing that as long as I have, it didn't really sink completely home until tonight how far Brandon is willing to go to make a book as good as it can be. Brandon told me at dinner that he's just decided to cannibalize something from Dragonsteel to put it into Way of Kings—one of the best parts of the book. I honestly never thought he would cannibalize Dragonsteel, but now that he knows he's not going to get back to Dragonsteel for at least ten years, even that is fair game in order to make Way of Kings awesome. (Inkthinker is also partly responsible for the inspiration to do this.) I was always kind of ambivalent about Way of Kings—it didn't quite gestalt for me like his other books such as Dragonsteel did. But now—now I'm really excited for it.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2008, 04:30:43 PM »
One of the great things about Brandon's writing philosophy is that he's not afraid to take those bits of stories that didn't work somewhere and put them somewhere else where they work better. He's not married to the integrity of a work; when Mistborn Prime and Final Empire Prime didn't work, he wasn't afraid to scrap them and build something awesome from the scraps. That's a huge example of killing your darlings.

Even knowing that as long as I have, it didn't really sink completely home until tonight how far Brandon is willing to go to make a book as good as it can be. Brandon told me at dinner that he's just decided to cannibalize something from Dragonsteel to put it into Way of Kings—one of the best parts of the book. I honestly never thought he would cannibalize Dragonsteel, but now that he knows he's not going to get back to Dragonsteel for at least ten years, even that is fair game in order to make Way of Kings awesome. (Inkthinker is also partly responsible for the inspiration to do this.) I was always kind of ambivalent about Way of Kings—it didn't quite gestalt for me like his other books such as Dragonsteel did. But now—now I'm really excited for it.

Authors like Brandon are an inspiration. I cant wait for more Sanderson... Ahem, i meant his books. *Awkward silence looms heavy.*
"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"