Author Topic: Told you so....*spoilers*  (Read 2665 times)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Told you so....*spoilers*
« on: October 19, 2008, 11:56:15 PM »
Just thought we needed a thread for those who have read the book to gloat over their correct or not so correct theories. I have not even finished it yet but realized we needed something like this, if only to justify the months we've spent theorizing!! Let the one-upmanship begin!!

Also, as I said I am not even done yet but when I read Spook's third? chapter I almost laughed.
yeah, i knew it.  kelsier lives.

Also if the epigraphs do turn out to be written by Sazed I called that too. I'm not sure where I said it but I'll find it eventually. And from where I'm standing page 100? that possibility is looking greater and greater... :D :) :D
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Told you so....*spoilers*
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 12:43:43 AM »
All I have to say now about your post is: MWA HA HA HA HA.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 01:15:54 AM »
MWAHAHAHA!

I'm just saying that because evil laughs are cool.

Also Reaves, when you finish, move into the main Spoiler topic at the top of the Brandon Sanderson forum. That's the one where we talk about spoilers, and also get feedback from Brandon himself. I'm surprised, really, that he's responded to the vast majority of inquiries already, what with the Book Tour and all.

Someone should give that guy a Gold Star for Being Awesome and Caring For the Fans.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 01:47:58 AM »
MWAHAHAHA!!!!!

Just wanted in on the action.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 02:14:46 AM »
This topic is what I was referring to when I wrote, "Chaos, something in your most recent post made me cackle with glee. Just wait until you read the book. ;)"
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 02:15:37 AM »
MWAHAHAHA!

I'm just saying that because evil laughs are cool.

Also Reaves, when you finish, move into the main Spoiler topic at the top of the Brandon Sanderson forum. That's the one where we talk about spoilers, and also get feedback from Brandon himself. I'm surprised, really, that he's responded to the vast majority of inquiries already, what with the Book Tour and all.

Someone should give that guy a Gold Star for Being Awesome and Caring For the Fans.

Incredibly off-topic, but does anyone know what kind of pressure it would take to start reacting gold in the same way elements are reacted in stars? That'd be a lot of gold.

Also, I was just noticing that gold is a very "valuable" Allomantic metal? It's alloyed with both electrum and malatium, on top of being a base metal itself.

And to give this topic a smidgen of on-topickness, I believe I was the first to mention what Ruin was looking for, but I had it in the wrong location/form. Chaos got that one right.  (And technically that's a spoiler, because we didn't find out Ruin was looking for something until one of the sample Hero of Ages chapters, but it is in the prologue.)

And BWAHAHAHAHA! End of post trickery!
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 02:18:27 AM »
I don't remember who it was, but someone was dead set on Reen's voice not being Ruin, to the point of where they didn't even want it discussed.  I was pretty sure it was Ruin.  :)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 02:36:47 AM »
This topic is what I was referring to when I wrote, "Chaos, something in your most recent post made me cackle with glee. Just wait until you read the book. ;)"

I don't even remember what my post was which warranted such a statement.

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 02:43:54 AM »
I like to think of it from Brandon's perspective: why, if it's the third book of the trilogy with many already established characters, would Brandon ever introduce one of the main characters and then later, somehow not have him actually be the main character? It's unnecessarily convoluted from a storytelling perspective.

Though... I was caught off-guard because of the facial hair, but there are too many things that point to him being Elend than him not being Elend. White cape, just like from MB2, same hair style from MB2, and most of all, he essentially completes the story arc from MB2 about him becoming king. He is the emperor now, and now he acts like it.

The improvement is extraordinary. Elend, I think, has always been my favorite character (series-wise, at least. Kelsier was the favorite for MB1), but now he is even better than I could have imagined. He's a powerful leader, the only thing that has really happened to him is that he's grown. The world is falling into chaos, and he is doing what he has to do to keep it alive. I like to think of it from the perspective of his last line in MB2, where he says, "We are going to survive." Obviously, he is doing it this way--without that pesky "ideals" business--to survive. Already, before we even get into his viewpoint, I can see what Elend's internal conflicts will be in the book: he is going to struggle with trying to keep his ideals (or restore them) in the face of unimaginable chaos.

This is Elend, I am positive of it. He's just stronger now.

Remember, though, that Statlin City is probably more like one of the Lord Ruler's storehouses than the hidden atium supply. Recall from the preview chapter in the second edition paperback of MB1 (the one from Spook's viewpoint) that Elend was going after cities that had these storehouses.

In fact, I believe I just figured out why Vin isn't with Elend: she is commanding the koloss army to conquer places with the storehouses. As to why Elend cannot control koloss, I do not have a sufficient answer for you.

The Hero of Ages, though... wow. Everything is just phenomenal.

I am, unfortunately, the Hero of Ages.

My first impression, here, is that the Hero is no one we've known before, but an unknown. However, it could simply be here that it is Rashek writing believing himself to be the Hero.

Either way, it is purely phenomenal.

I think it's that one.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 02:57:49 AM »
Maybe...

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 03:39:49 AM »
MWAHAHAHA!!!!!

Just wanted in on the action.

keep your evil laughs to yourself bud....after all, you're the one wearing the avatar....

And yeah, about the official stickied Spoilers thread, I wasn't sure if that was the proper place to gloat about our theories. And I didn't want to risk peeking in....but I'll absolutely make sure to head on over there as soon as I finish!
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 03:52:14 AM »
Yes. That's the one.

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 09:29:53 PM »
I don't remember who it was, but someone was dead set on Reen's voice not being Ruin, to the point of where they didn't even want it discussed.  I was pretty sure it was Ruin.  :)

I was discussing this with a friend.  He didn't believe me.  I just gave him the HoA on Sunday, so I can't wait until he gets to that part so I can say "hah, told ya."  He also refused to believe me when I said I thought the HoA was Sazed. 

Meh.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 10:26:00 PM »
I was the one who refused to believe it was Ruin. I just didn't think that Ruin had power during the Lord Ruler's reign.

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 11:07:24 PM »
I also was kind of against it. I just kept pointing out that we didn't know. Mostly, though, I was the one who thought that TLR touched Ruin and not Preservation.  :-\