Author Topic: Brandon's novelette in Asimov's: Defending Elysium  (Read 1394 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Brandon's novelette in Asimov's: Defending Elysium
« on: October 18, 2008, 03:54:35 AM »
Brandon's science fiction novelette (meaning it's between 7,500 and 17,500 words) "Defending Elysium" is in the October/November issue of Asimov's magazine. The December issue just came out, so bookstores will probably be pulling the October/November issue soon. I picked a copy up today in the Torrance Borders.

This is the story that won that UPC Science Fiction award in Barcelona a while back. It's something all you Brandon fanatics definitely will want to get.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Xandeis

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Brandon's novelette in Asimov's: Defending Elysium
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 10:52:03 PM »
Any suggestions of how to get it if it's been pulled?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 11:57:01 PM »
Try other local bookstores.  Asimov's's FAQ mentions how to get back issues, but it doesn't sound convenient. You can also get an e-magazine at Fictionwise, but electronic formats aren't what a lot of people want.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 05:25:12 PM »
Went to the B&N in Orem last Saturday and they'd already pulled it.  Am going to try and find it elsewhere.  Grumble, grumble.  Didn't know they'd pull it this early.  Of course, I don't buy a whole lot of magazines, so I don't really know the replacement schedule for them.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 06:05:26 PM »
Often they'll pull old issues when the next one comes in, or when the month that shows on the cover comes in. Even though this one says October/November, they probably pulled it since the December issue is in. Bookstores only have so much space.

We should have kept better tabs on this so we could have gotten it right when it came out. (The best way to buy these magazines is by subscription, of course.)

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 07:19:44 PM »
Yeah.  I plan on getting one eventually.  Something about being broke and without a paycheck just makes it tough to do.  Will have to see if I can find it somewhere else.  Or maybe he'll just post it for free in a couple years, like he did that Hope of Elantris story.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 07:27:04 PM »
Blast, I'll have to keep an eye out today when I go to the bookstore. I wish I would have known earlier.... :(
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.