Author Topic: Submission of Suggested Profile Pictures *MILD SPOILERS*  (Read 2223 times)

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
Submission of Suggested Profile Pictures *MILD SPOILERS*
« on: October 16, 2008, 05:56:29 AM »
Ok, Reaves, I admit it. You win. The epigraphs are not written by Rashek. At least, that's what it seems like at this point, seeing as in order for them to be, he would have to refer to himself in 3rd person. Now, I don't know who they are written by as I'm only 300 pages in, but I am willing to admit I lost my bet.

So, I am now starting this thread for everyone to suggest profile pictures for me to wear for a week in celebration of Reaves' victory. Then Reaves can pick whatever he wants.

By the way, I want you to know that I literally screamed, "NO! Oh crap," When I read the chapter 4 epigraph. Anyway, I hope you are satisfied.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
Re: Submission of Suggested Profile Pictures *MILD SPOILERS*
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 06:15:29 AM »
I would love to see use you this one (or something similar).  After all, it has part of your own words.

"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 07:11:48 AM »
You guys were so sure, with no good reason. Every time a new sample chapter got posted, you were like, "Oh, it's definitely Rashek," and I could only shake my head.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 07:25:20 AM »
You guys were so sure, with no good reason. Every time a new sample chapter got posted, you were like, "Oh, it's definitely Rashek," and I could only shake my head.

Hey, there were some good reasons. Firstly, Rashek would fit in with the previous two books of showing a perspective from Alendi's time. Secondly, we only knew of Vin and Rashek holding the power, and going off of the first point, that would logically mean Rashek.

It worked... until it didn't. But hey, in that one storage cache, the Lord Ruler said he finally meant what the meaning behind "Hero of Ages" was, misinterpreting himself. So, in a way, our point after the first epigraph was somewhat valid: Rashek did believe to be the Hero of Ages.

...I blame it on the fact that we expected a consistency (of every epigraph pertaining to the ancient times) and an internal logic that was not there. In fact, it is better to have these ones than Rashek's point of view, because it helped the worldbuilding immensely.

EDIT: Of course, we should have looked at the Chapter 3 epigraph more carefully.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 07:39:43 AM by Chaos2651 »
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

TyranAmiros

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 07:50:45 AM »
I also think that most of the bumps--all except those about Vin/Elend/current events--could have been written by Rashek with little change.  In fact, it still might be interesting to see how Rashek seeks to defend/explain his actions centuries after seeing the effects.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 11:44:23 AM »
Alright, well I currently have not read the book but I don't consider this a spoiler. After all, I already knew.  :P (Ok, gloating over.)
And wow, I don't know if I could find one better than the one firstRainbow picked out, go ahead and take that one. Now I'll virtually shake your hand and try my hardest to avoid these forums until I read the book.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 05:27:04 PM »
Do I need to put the picture in, too, or did the bet only apply to Andrew?

Also, I think elmandr just hasn't come back to the forums because he ate his hat, suffocated, then died. Lol...

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 05:48:59 PM »
I forget, why did he need to eat his hat again?
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 05:50:16 PM »
The mist spirit thing. He believed Vin needed to merge with the mist spirit (which under this model were previous HoA's), which is totally wrong. :P

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 06:31:27 PM »
Well... ;)

I mean, it wasn't completely off-base. (Except for the spirits of former heroes thing.) But since this thread is only for mild spoilers, I won't elaborate.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 07:06:19 PM by Ookla The Mok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 05:54:20 AM »
I was just coming to wonder about whether or not he should have to eat the hat. We'll have to discuss it in a few days. I'm not calling him Your Holiness though.

Chaos, the bet only applied to me, but if you really want to....
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 07:46:22 AM »
Oh, no. I'm much too busy... uh... yeah. Being Hero of Ages-y. You know how that is.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 07:34:41 PM »
Anyway, I'm waiting for Reaves to tell me to start so he gets to be here the full week. I'm far too kind-hearted in letting him see me lose like this, but hey...

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 11:44:29 PM »
Oh be my guest go for it!! Just got the book today, which means I'll probably finish it at about midnight tonight. (No, I have more restraint than that. Or so I tell myself.)
Anyway, go ahead and take Rainbow's pic. Its far better than anything I would've found.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!