Author Topic: Electrum (Long.. sorry)  (Read 7347 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: Electrum (Long.. sorry)
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2008, 04:19:19 AM »
If that shadow isn't the inquisitors than how come he doesn't have one?  Everyone Vin can see should have a Malatium shadow.  I thought that the Lord Ruler had two shadows as well at first, but after the reread, it's pretty clear that the other shadow belongs to the inquisitor.  Sorry.
I see, I was just reading near there yesterday, but I should reread that part in particular.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Czanos

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2008, 04:22:09 AM »
If that's the case, then where's the shadow of the Inquisitor?

I'm pretty sure the shadow is of the Inquisitor. The exact passage is . . .

Quote from: Mistborn: The Final Empire page 593
Vin turned to the side. There was another unfamiliar man
beside her, a young nobleman. He was a merchant, from the
looks of his suit—and a very wealthy one at that.

From what we know, Inquisitors are recruited from the nobility, and particularly the upper nobility. On top of that, the malatium shadow is standing next to her and the Inquisitor, instead of right next to The Lord Ruler, with the other shadow. To seal the deal, when Vin burns malatium during her fight with The Lord Ruler, he only has one shadow, the one she saw standing next to him in this scene.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2008, 06:54:32 AM »
Thanks for that C.  Yeah.  I noticed that people talking about the 'second person' a lot and about WHO it was. . . I couldn't remember like a 'second' shadow, probably because I just figured it belonged to the inquisitor and just didn't commit it to memory because I didn't care.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2008, 05:28:10 PM »
If that's the case, then where's the shadow of the Inquisitor?

I'm pretty sure the shadow is of the Inquisitor. The exact passage is . . .

Quote from: Mistborn: The Final Empire page 593
Vin turned to the side. There was another unfamiliar man
beside her, a young nobleman. He was a merchant, from the
looks of his suit—and a very wealthy one at that.

From what we know, Inquisitors are recruited from the nobility, and particularly the upper nobility. On top of that, the malatium shadow is standing next to her and the Inquisitor, instead of right next to The Lord Ruler, with the other shadow. To seal the deal, when Vin burns malatium during her fight with The Lord Ruler, he only has one shadow, the one she saw standing next to him in this scene.

This assumption can also be supported from a narrative perspective.  Vin had to have enough clues to figure out what was going on so that she wouldn't have to do too much thinking at the climax.  Having two examples of what Malatium does would make it more likely that she would make the connection, not to mention strengthening the connection with Atium.
Nature hates being reified.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2008, 07:26:48 PM »
And the connection she makes to touching her gold image, which influences her plan to try and stab the Lord Ruler's malatium image.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2008, 07:26:27 PM »
And the connection she makes to touching her gold image, which influences her plan to try and stab the Lord Ruler's malatium image.

Right.  Remember that EUOL tries to make his magic systems consistent.  If Atium shows everybody else's future (external) and Gold shows your possible past (internal), than Malatium should show everybody else's possible past.  Thus with two other people in the room, she should, logically, see two different alternate pasts, one per person.  There is no real reason, without further evidence, to go beyond this simple logic.
Nature hates being reified.

Time and Again

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2008, 03:50:16 AM »
Spoiler in a non-spoiler thread. I moved your post to the spoiler thread instead.

--Brenna
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 04:31:54 AM by Brenna »