Author Topic: National Novel Writing Month 2008  (Read 30766 times)

Silk

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
Re: National Novel Writing Month 2008
« Reply #90 on: November 18, 2008, 09:37:54 AM »
So I'm not the only one who writes pencil-and-paper? Sweet.

Yeah, don't ask me what my word count is. It's a low number. It embarasses me.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 18, 2008, 08:32:17 PM »
I find that my writing quality is actually much, much better if I write on a computer. Also I can't lose it. Also I have very bad handwriting....
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #92 on: November 18, 2008, 09:07:48 PM »
Haha, I'm the other way around. The screen does bad things to the quality of my writing. Plus, I can take a pencil and paper anywhere. Not so my desktop computer...

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 19, 2008, 12:33:53 AM »
Paper and pencil rock, or is that scissors?  Anyway, I've found that I am beginning to begrudge the time I have to use to eat and all the other stuff...like sleeping.  Instead of writing, oh well, nature calls. ;D
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #94 on: November 19, 2008, 05:22:57 PM »
*sigh* I think I'm officially going to give up on NANO this year. Too many things happened at the beginning of the month and here we are at the 19th and I haven't even started ..... Not that I haven't written, just I haven't started the new story I was planning....
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #95 on: November 19, 2008, 06:56:10 PM »
Hey, 5000 words a day from here on out and it's still entirely doable.

(I keep telling myself that. Since I've only GOT 5000 words so far.)

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 19, 2008, 10:48:09 PM »
Just passed 40k. Into the home stretch.

Unfortunately, It looks as though I'll only finish about half of what I have outlined. It looks like I'll have some writing to do in December.

And it's possible to write 5k a day for those who haven't started yet. I just break it down to 100 words every few minutes. Usually I pick put on some music  and say to myself "I'm go to write about this description or this action or this character dialogue before the end of the this song." It usually works out. 100 words is only about 8-10 sentences.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 20, 2008, 05:16:34 AM »
Congrats 42!  You're totally going to have to tell us when you finally hit the end.

And don't feel bad.  I don't think I'll be done for another two months if I keep going the way I am.  See, I didn't realize you were supposed to have everything done by the end of the month.  I thought you were just supposed to be 50k words in.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 20, 2008, 05:55:54 AM »
Woohoo! 33,444 words! I'm especially excited because I didn't think I was going to get any writing today, but my husband encouraged me, and I did it!  And I must be tired because I'm ending every sentence with an exclamation point!  At least I didn't do that in my story!
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 20, 2008, 05:57:24 AM »
Actually, I think that is the goal, just 50k words.  If you keep going great, but I think its just about motivating people to write.  Congrat's 42.

I'm now around 36k.  I've stopped typing altogether, its so much faster for me to just write it out on paper.  otherwise I won't make it at the end.  I'll have to get my ML to review what I do by hand to get approved--I just have to buy him a cup of coffee, I think.

lol, ThankSigyn, great job!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 05:59:15 AM by GreenNecrobeanCasserole »
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 20, 2008, 07:05:28 AM »
Congrats Sigyn, sometimes the hardest thing is to simply sit down and take the time to write.

Today: Unknown the exact number (see below for why)
Total according to Nanowrimo.com: 40,010

I'm so happy they have their offical system available to check our numbers.  It's so much easier then me trying to copy and paste my file with all my qualifying text into ywriter, and then from there type in the number.  Plus, then I know for sure if I need to add text or not, rather then going "well, I hope my program is close to theirs."

I had like 39,929 (or some such) and I was like "I can totally write those last 80-something words" and set off to edit a few scenes until I got over 40k.  Now I just have five more days and I'll be offically green!  :D
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #101 on: November 20, 2008, 07:43:35 AM »
I think in theory you might be suppposed to produce a finished work, but the major emphasis is definitely on getting those 50k words.

I'm totally bending the rules. I have 40,000 words already, and even if I make the NaNo goal and hit 90,000 words I probably still won't be done. I'm guessing my MS will end up around 120k.

utoxin

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 20, 2008, 07:28:12 PM »
Newbie to the forums here... but a Nano veteran. This is my 5th year, and as of this morning... my 3rd win. :)

I'm the Utah :: Elsewhere ML as well, for the second year in a row.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 21, 2008, 09:20:50 AM »
Congrats utoxin!  I could be wrong, but I think you're the first of us to hit the goal (and tell about it at least).

Today: 2,347
Total: 42,353

I discovered today that writing is totally theraputic.  I was having a really stressful day, to the point where I was really considering just not writing today.  But I knew I'd regret it if I didn't.  So I sat down to pound it out, no matter how bad it ended up being and came up with some of my best work (I think).  I also felt tons better by the end of it.  It was just a great little reminder of why I love writing.

utoxin

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 21, 2008, 05:23:21 PM »
Congrats utoxin!  I could be wrong, but I think you're the first of us to hit the goal (and tell about it at least).

I'm reasonably certain other people here have won. :)

Also... aren't you on the UtahWrimos forums? I recognize that username. :) Good wordcount, keep it up.