Author Topic: National Novel Writing Month 2008  (Read 32874 times)

Necroben

• Level 14
  • Fell Points: 0
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
Re: National Novel Writing Month 2008
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2008, 07:35:04 AM »
Today: 2,341
Total: 14,425

Wow, that was freaking hard to get done today.  I'm discovering that I have no problem when I'm writing one of the major events, but when it comes to in between filler type stuff I'm having a hard time.

I'm running into the same problem and it really slows me down.  Well, that and not being able to type very fast.  My wife tells me that I could lose nine fingers and still type the same speed.  I give new meaning to Hunt and Peck.  Finishing the day or yesterday, whatever @ 12,129 :P
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2008, 07:20:56 PM »
Wow u guys are really moving along quite rapidly! I'm inspired! I myself am not officially doing it but I am trying to up the amount I am writing. Unfortunately its hard to tell because the computer I am writing on (not this one) doesn't even have a word count tool. I've had to put it on a flash drive and copy it over just to see how much I've done, and I was surprised and encouraged to see I have about 25,000 words! (didn't start this month) which is about 10,000 more than I thought I had.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2008, 05:17:49 AM »
I'm finishing up at just over 22k tonight. Didn't get as far as I'd hoped for the weekend. Just found it hard to stay motivated.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2008, 06:05:25 AM »
Dude. 42. I get on to say that I'm soooo happy to be barely squeaking by the daily word count at 14,700 and here you are 6k ahead of that. You are cruisin'.

Motivation isn't my problem. It's the 3 demon spawn running around here. They are like a freight train running through my house. VERY hard to ignore while I'm pounding away on the keys.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 06:08:25 AM by ThankfulNess »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Necroben

• Level 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2008, 06:09:43 AM »
Wow!  I thought I was doin' good, looks like this will just be a break instead of the stopping point I had hoped for, doh! :-[
Was going to end the day @ 14,194 :'(

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2008, 07:54:17 AM »
Wow!  I thought I was doin' good

I felt the same way up until I saw that number.  Now, I feel like I should do a lot more.

Today: 2,316
Total: 16,740

It was kind of weird.  While I was writing one part of today's work a song came on my ipod that fit the mood perfectly.  It was really fun, and I think it really helped write that bit out better.  Of course, I also discovered the value of backing up your work.  I unplugged the flash drive I have my book stored on before the program I've been using to write it on was compleately closed, and so it gave me this weird error.  When I plugged my flash drive back in the program said that all of the files were gone.  Thankfully the actual files weren't gone, the program just wasn't reconizing them.  So I'd like to remind everyone to make a backup of your book if you haven't already.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 08:02:08 AM by firstRainbowRose »
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Dount Cooku

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2008, 06:44:32 PM »
I forgot about this until the 6th, but I signed up anyway.  I won't mention how far I am off of the pace thus far.  :-[

Necroben

• Level 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2008, 02:52:11 AM »
While I was writing one part of today's work a song came on my ipod that fit the mood perfectly.  It was really fun, and I think it really helped write that bit out better. 

Yeah, AX7 and some others really help me out.  I've also found that with some, they give me little inspirations; just tiny bits that help with dialog, or setting, and sometimes even mood.  Its been great and a lot of fun.  I'm slow, but glad to have signed up for this.  It's pushed me to do what I have never done before... writing, as much as I can, everyday.   

I also have a new appreciation to those who do this for a living, wow.  This would be great for me...   if I happened to be any good. :D

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2008, 04:04:37 AM »
Actually, it wouldn't be that hard.  I did the math, and if you only wrote 2k words every day you would have a 200k book in three months.  (Of courses, after that you'd have to do the editing, because that was assuming you just write)  The challange becomes making sure you actually do the work each day.

Also:

Today: 2,118
Total: 18,857

I'm feeling really good about this right now.  I'm all like "Yeah, maybe I can actually get throught this thing."  (Of course, I was pretty much finishing where I had left off yesterday, and my next big event I don't see coming for a while, so tomorrow is going to be a huge challenge because it's going to be another filler type piece which means I've got to figure out what the heck I can even have happen.)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 07:02:54 AM by firstRainbowRose »
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Necroben

• Level 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2008, 08:15:07 AM »
I’ve hit 15,307.  O-M-G! I thought at one point I was doing good then see that, nope, I’m not.  I’ve really had to break my goals down (going for 25k by the 15th) so I don’t get too discouraged, but it’s been a lot harder than I had thought it could be.  I only have 5-days to get 10k!  2000 might not seem like much but I only have 3-4 hours a day to do it in and I’m avg. 400 wds/hr (Yeah, I don’t type fast) so I’m trying to make up word count on weekends and I don’t know if I’ll make it there at The End. :'(

Ok, now that’s off my chest…  :-[

I’m loven’ it.  This is great, I can’t remember the last time I had this much fun working.  Of course, this could just be from lack of sleep, but that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.  Now if only I could get paid for it… Ha! ;D

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2008, 07:39:48 PM »
At 25,266. Just past the halfway point. It is a big relief to get this far.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Necroben

• Level 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2008, 06:04:45 AM »
17,000 on the dot, and that's at the end of a sentence.  Well, the last word is too.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2008, 06:52:54 AM »
Woah, nicely done.  Both for ending it on such an even number, and for getting out that many words.

Here's my update,

Today: 2,148
Total: 21,005

I just wish I could do a bit more for each of my scenes.  I want to build up a big buffer in case I can't write for some reason, but I just can't seem to be able to.  Oh well, maybe when I reach another of my big scenes I'll be able to get into the flow enough to keep it going for a while.

Necroben

• Level 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 13, 2008, 08:05:57 AM »
*sigh* got to 19,028; ouch, I didn’t know my fingers could cramp up that bad.

I just wish I could do a bit more for each of my scenes. I want to build up a big buffer in case I can't write for some reason, but I just can't seem to be able to. Oh well, maybe when I reach another of my big scenes I'll be able to get into the flow enough to keep it going for a while.

I wish I could think of something that might help, but... my brain has turned to mush.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2008, 11:07:21 AM »
Congrats on the numbers.  It seems like you're zipping along.

Total: 25,673

Do you realize that tiresome Scheherezade is mearly half way through her thousand-and-one nights?  I have to think of another 496 tales before she's safe, and my diary is chock-a-block![/i]

I really appricate this quote now.  Expeically since today I had to fight tooth and nail to get anything figured out.  Still, there's always hoping that tomorrow will be a super thought day.