Author Topic: National Novel Writing Month 2008  (Read 32397 times)

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: National Novel Writing Month 2008
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 12:03:00 AM »
I was interested in attempting this and so I tried. I got about one thousands words down I took a read threw and almost vomitted at the level of my writing skills. I then proceeded to throw away the thousand word waste of paper and got back to reading.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 01:56:24 AM »
As with last year I'll make an award and give it to anyone that completes NANOWRIMO.

42 has the 2007 trophy with the award next to his avatar (I need to re-upload the image which I'll do sometime this week), the 2008 will look the same but with 2008.

Sweet, I'm totally there!  Well I'll give it a shot anyway.  The reason I'm doing it is because I have this annoying habit of never finishing what I start.
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Silenced Parrot

• Level 3
  • You spilled my egg, I needed that egg. -Spike
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 02:43:17 PM »
I considered doing it but I'm so close to finishing my first book as it is...  :-\

I'll do it next year, when I have another book under my belt and my improvement is more than subtle, then I'll branch out and try a sci-fi. :D
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

George Carlin (RIP)

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2008, 04:57:48 PM »
I'm not sure if i want to reveal my work on the website...I mean should i?
"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 05:24:19 PM »

We don't post our stories here. We merely report our progress (honor system kind of a thing). It's up to you to post it or offer to email it to people if you want feedback. Since it's a NaNoWriMo, I don't think any of us expect it to be publishable....
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 05:30:03 PM by WickedNess »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2008, 09:33:36 PM »

We don't post our stories here. We merely report our progress (honor system kind of a thing). It's up to you to post it or offer to email it to people if you want feedback. Since it's a NaNoWriMo, I don't think any of us expect it to be publishable....

Kinky. I'll check it out some more though. :P
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Necroben

• Level 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2008, 02:46:43 AM »
elmandr1,  from what I was told at our meet an greet with other NaNoWriMo's was that nothing is published or even looked at.  It's just about numbers and finishing your goals.  If you think your story is worth persuing after that, then continue onto your 2nd draft and whatnot.  That and they tell you how to scramble the words around when you upload into sys. to confirm your word count.  After that they delete it themselves.  Hope that helps you to join.

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2008, 04:41:48 AM »
Sweet... I'll certainly give it a shot. I have a number of friends who already want to kill me for not finishing stories... :P

Wolfstar

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2008, 05:42:16 AM »
I've done this the past few years, and I have to say that it is an incredible experience.

I started out in 2006 as someone that has fallen in the trap of developing the same world and story for so long that all other ideas had been more or less pushed to the side.  October came, and I heard about NaNoWriMo from a friend that had done it the year previous.  She challenged me, and me being me, I couldn't back down.  So I looked through my 'Ideas on Hold' notebook to see what I should pull out.  I thought that since the spirit of NaNoWriMo was to write something quickly and feel the flow of an evolving story, I would pick an idea that was fairly vague.

So I selected my host of characters, which at this point only included the protagonists (The Guardians of Tralos), the king, and a few prototype dark mage types and that my keyword themes were "Conspiracy" and "Treason" (which helped spawn the title, The Tralos Conspiracy).  As I wrote, the plot unfolded into a whole lot more than I thought it would be, and found that by the time I had reached the end, something completely different had come out of it.  The "Conspiracy" and "Treason" were still there, but neither were what I thought they would be, and the story was left, by novel's end, unfinished.  Oh, and it was a NaNoWriMo victory, too.

I did it again in 2007, hitting the 50k word line early, but this one did not have the same surprise twist for me that the previous year had.  Part of it was that I decided to go with the sequel to The Tralos Conspiracy, which is The Tralos Conflict.  I'm actually still putting the finishing touches on this one at around 100k words, so it's short, but since my writing is still developing, I figure that these drafts will serve mostly as a guide to when I can come back and write them 'for real' (for fun, of course... this is merely a hobby for me).

This year... I'm not sure if I will be able to hit the mark, but I'm going to try.  When the Tralos Conspiracy and Tralos Conflict failed to be resolved in two books, I fell into the 'trilogy trap,' so with a little luck, I can finish the story and score a third NaNoWriMo victory with The Tralos Crisis.

Sorry for the length... I didn't intend to go off on this tangent when I first started this post.
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?

spejoku

• Level 3
  • Insanity isn't all that bad really.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2008, 08:48:55 PM »
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ONLY ONE DAY LEFT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA *scramble scrambe*
Tacos: the food of choice for awesome people

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2008, 08:59:18 PM »
I've signed up and I've got a story idea that has been brewing in my mind, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to do it for time reasons. I know, I know...slacker. I am. I really want to write the ~2200 words a day that it would take to finish, but I'm not sure I'll be able to. I mean, on a good day, I'm able to bang out around 6k. But then I'm sometimes dry for a week or so after that. :D

Basically, I  just need to do it. We'll see :)
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2008, 11:17:26 PM »
Wait, i don't understand, does everyone already have their stuff written, or will they start from scratch tomorrow? I began writing mine because i thought it was a competition of how much words you could fit in....

Well, i guess that doesn't make much sense either, does it?
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2008, 12:20:58 AM »
You have to do all of your writing in November for it to count. And it's not really a competition against other people, so much as a race against time to get to the 50,000 word mark.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Necroben

• Level 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2008, 01:11:28 AM »
Haha!  Just under 4 hours to go!  Are yoouuu rrreeaaadddyyyy!

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2008, 01:22:26 AM »
I'll do it!

I just thought of another story--i have about twenty pages of work in mind. The rest, im not so sure about...but i guess thats another part of the event...
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"