Author Topic: National Novel Writing Month 2008  (Read 32537 times)

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
Re: National Novel Writing Month 2008
« Reply #150 on: December 01, 2008, 06:46:16 AM »
Haha. I can't honestly say I even know what imdb, and I never really got into the social networking sites like myspace, facebook and the like. My Internet time wasting is mostly forums (two general, one RP), webcomics, and author/publishing blogs. And designing my own websites.

I just broke the halfway point. Only 24960 to go. Waugh!

imdb is the internet movie database...It's pretty sweet. I go there for the forums. One particular movie forum, for one of my favorite books that's being made into a movie sometime....So not counting facebook (which isn't nearly as bad now as it once was....), my two main time-wasters are forums....I like forums. They're fun.

And good job! I still haven't written anything today. I was thinking about doing it, but then I got totally absorbed in The Count. It's a fantastic book! I've read over 200 pages today! I say that makes up for me not writing anything...
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Dount Cooku

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 01, 2008, 08:00:01 AM »
Congrats!  I am now finding that the issue now is staying focused so I continue to write... I'm starting to fall back into bad habits.

I hear you there.  Just earlier this evening, my wife asked me if I planned on actually finishing my story. :)

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 01, 2008, 08:02:21 AM »
I totally have plans.  If I continue at the rate of 2k a day I should be done by the end of feburary.  But the issue is writing.

Anyone up for an after nanowrimo word war to see who can get the most words done by the end of january?  (So I have something to motivate myself with)
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #153 on: December 01, 2008, 10:56:49 AM »

I can't believe I actually did it. (The word count my Nano profile reads differently but their bot thingies actually added to my word count, for some reason.)

Yeah, I still have to actually FINISH this bugger of a book. And I've learned this weekend (aside from learning that it's possible to write 25k in a day) that my book is, once again, probably bigger than I thought it was. *sigh* I've been guesstimating it at around 120k, but with my NaNo done it's at 90,000 and I'm not even sure I've hit a halfway point...

Hmmm. I'm all for wordwars, though I dunno about January. ANyone up for a December match? :P

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #154 on: December 01, 2008, 07:00:33 PM »
I ended just shy of 30k, which is too bad because I didn't finish, but pretty good because I did a ton of other stuff during the month (a copy edit, incorporating as a business, etc.). And I'm still far ahead of my actual deadline with my publisher, so hooray.

Even not finishing, though, I got to experience that awesome writing "high," and I really love my book. If the rest of world likes this one have as much as I do, I will be a rich man.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 01, 2008, 07:53:08 PM »
Raethe, CONGRADULATION!!!

Also, that's what I meant.  *blush*  I'm really bad with months and junk like that.  So, are you game?  Just see who can write the most now to dec. 31 (full month)
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Vatdoro

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 01, 2008, 09:31:21 PM »
imdb is the internet movie database...It's pretty sweet. I go there for the forums. One particular movie forum, for one of my favorite books that's being made into a movie sometime....So not counting facebook (which isn't nearly as bad now as it once was....), my two main time-wasters are forums....I like forums. They're fun.

What is the book they're making into a movie?  You've aroused my curiosity.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #157 on: December 01, 2008, 10:40:52 PM »
All right folks November is over and I've dished out all the awards for NaNoWriMo for people posting here in the forums, if I missed you and you completed NaNoWriMo post here with a link to the post where you mention your word count.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 01, 2008, 10:59:54 PM »
25,000 words in one day? Wow.

Dan, as long as Germany loves it as much as you do, you'll still be in good shape. :)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #159 on: December 01, 2008, 11:07:21 PM »
What is the book they're making into a movie?  You've aroused my curiosity.

Oh, it's a book you've probably never heard of. A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray....Who knows if they're actually gonna make it, though. It's been on the site since 2006, and production still hasn't started. The director keeps putting other works ahead of it.

And RAETHE! Wow. I'm in awe of your awesome-ness. Holy Hannah, I am seriously amazed! Congratulations. You're one of my new heroes. 25k in one day....wow. Just....wow....

I'm totally up for a December Word War or whatever. Hopefully I'll write more than I did this month (or technically, I guess it's last month, since it is now December....). Although to be completely honest, it would be hard to write less than I did and still call myself a writer...
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 02, 2008, 12:00:45 AM »
I made it. Sorry I didn't post yesterday, but I was a little busy.  Anyway, I finished with 52,244 words.  Hurray.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #161 on: December 02, 2008, 12:07:04 AM »
Thanks, Rose.

I'm totally in for a word war. I really want to finish my book by the end of December anyway (since I'll be starting another one in a different class in January.)

Yeah, writing 25k words in a day is pretty... epic. I'd actually thought that trying would be a miserable experience - I can't believe how much FUN I had. (Not that I don't like writing normally, but the thought of making half of the month's word count in a day was pretty intimidating.) That's probably the only reason I finished, actually...

I even slept for almost two hours and worked a 4 hour shift!

btw, Fell: It's not fair to say stuff like that! We're already waiting with bated breath for your FIRST book to come out, jeez.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 02, 2008, 06:26:50 AM »
Sweet, so we've got two people perticipating?  Yes?  No?  Anywho, I'm going to start a seprate thread for our word war.

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 02, 2008, 11:43:24 PM »
Thanks, Rose.

I'm totally in for a word war. I really want to finish my book by the end of December anyway (since I'll be starting another one in a different class in January.)

Yeah, writing 25k words in a day is pretty... epic. I'd actually thought that trying would be a miserable experience - I can't believe how much FUN I had. (Not that I don't like writing normally, but the thought of making half of the month's word count in a day was pretty intimidating.) That's probably the only reason I finished, actually...

I even slept for almost two hours and worked a 4 hour shift!

btw, Fell: It's not fair to say stuff like that! We're already waiting with bated breath for your FIRST book to come out, jeez.

Holy son of Batman...that's impressive, Raethe.  I think your next goal should be doing that two days in a row!! 

Oh, and congrats!  :D
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #164 on: December 02, 2008, 11:51:23 PM »
Two days in a row, oh god. Now THAT sounds truly epic.

I think I'll wait until I've recovered from Sunday to try that though. :P

Hmm... my book probably has another 50k in it... 50k in two days, and by then I'm SURE I'd be almost done... In two days...

Hmm...