Author Topic: On Submitting Experimental Pieces  (Read 2258 times)

Silk

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
On Submitting Experimental Pieces
« on: December 12, 2008, 10:32:00 PM »
So, I've been agonizing over this for a little while, and I figured I might as well post it here on the off chance that somebody knows more than me (not hard).

Say you're an aspiring author who's never been published, but you've finished a novelette that you're convinced is almost ready to go out. Except that your manuscript does a couple of funky things: it switches tenses, and it's not actually a linear story, something which is foreshadowed but not definitively revealed until the end.

Should aspiring author be worried that if she sends this manuscript out, the editor or pre-reader is going to look at the ms, catch the hints that all is not quite at as it seems, assume that aspiring author doesn't know what the heck they are doing, and put it down before they've read the ending and seen that the funky stuff does have a point? Would aspiring author be better off to start with a few more conventional stories, until she's had a couple things published and people might actually believe she knows what she's doing?

Hypothetically speaking, of course. ;)

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 11:11:14 PM by SilknSnow »

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
Re: On Submitting Experimental Pieces
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 10:30:01 PM »
While I admittedly do not have any experience, I would think that as long as they read the whole thing you would be OK.  It would have more to do with the target demographic I think, as to whether they would be interested.

Isn't it true that you also send a synopsis in as well when one submits?

That way they would read your synopsis before they read your actual MS.
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 08:11:45 AM »
I'm pretty sure synopses are for novels only. At the least, I have never, ever seen a litmag request a synopsis and none of the ones I will be sending this one out to do not.

Yeah, what I'm worried about is if the whole thing would get read. An editor or pre-reader who gets inundated with crap on a daily basis has no reason to trust me as an author, and might see some of the foreshadowing in there as simply odd, and not read to the end. Maybe I'm worrying over nothing - I have no idea.

Thanks for the response.

Karl

• Level 5
  • Rolling. Speed. Scene one, take one. ACTION!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 09:01:16 AM »
Make sure the first ten pages are really stunning and grab the reader. Doesn't matter what happens later if the reader never gets past the first ten pages.

I haven't seen non-linear story telling too much in novels, but certainly Quinten Terantino has shown that it can be done in film (Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction).

Consider having average readers look at it. If they can figure it out then perhaps an editor could too. If you need a suggestion on where to find a writing group...

The other thing to do is to submit it to a publisher and find out! Won't know for certain until you  ask the editor.

You miss all the shots you never take.
"When I came to this town five years ago I didn't have a nickle in my pocket. Now I have a nickle in my pocket."

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 10:01:05 AM »
Fair points, both.

Though when I talk of putting this piece away I'm not talking about hiding it in the closet and never letting it see the light of day, only biding my time until I have a few other pieces under my belt, so that people actually might have a reason to believe I know what I'm doing. 'Cause once you submit, you can't resubmit.

Or I could just go with the "make the first ten pages so engrossing" plan, that sounds good too...

Yeah, this piece is only 11k words. I imagine trying to carry on a non-linear story for an entire novel would be a lot more difficult. At least if you're concerned with it also being readable. ::)

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 06:45:23 PM »
Fair points, both.

Though when I talk of putting this piece away I'm not talking about hiding it in the closet and never letting it see the light of day, only biding my time until I have a few other pieces under my belt, so that people actually might have a reason to believe I know what I'm doing. 'Cause once you submit, you can't resubmit.

Or I could just go with the "make the first ten pages so engrossing" plan, that sounds good too...

Yeah, this piece is only 11k words. I imagine trying to carry on a non-linear story for an entire novel would be a lot more difficult. At least if you're concerned with it also being readable. ::)

At that length, you shouldn't be too concerned.  But you have to remember something: good editors/agents are looking for reasons to throw your manuscript in the 'crap' bin.  As long as you catch their attention right at the start, you should be fine.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 07:13:48 PM »
I don't know about the protocol regarding including a synopsis with a novelette, but don't you send a cover letter or SOMETHING with your manuscript?  You could perhaps clue in the editor that way, to the intentionally unconventional style.  I've heard that you don't need to worry about spoilers when you're talking to editors about your work - you only worry about spoilers when you're marketing to readers.  The editors actually want to know what the big surprises are, so they know whether to waste their time reading the manuscript.
He ate my horse.

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 09:20:11 PM »
Cover letters are standard but most places ask you not to summarize or talk about your story in the cover letter other than "here it is".

Thanks for all the input, guys. :)