Author Topic: Buy report  (Read 3555 times)

kaimipono

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Hail the victorious dead.
    • View Profile
    • Times and Seasons
Buy report
« on: October 15, 2008, 06:51:46 AM »
Should we have a thread about buy reports (discussing what stores had it, when, how many)?  I didn't see any for this (though I didn't click all the threads - I have to work and can't finish the book today, and I don't want to see spoilers), and I think I remember reading before how this can be useful information.

So -- I bought my copy at Barnes and Noble in La Jolla (San Diego). 

I went into the store and checked and didn't see it in the SF/F new releases, and so I asked a store clerk about it.  Turns out that HoA wasn't on the SF/F shelf because it was on the overall new release table, right at the front of the store (first table in).  It was a very nice placement (except that it was on the back side of the table, so it was a little bit hidden behind the other books on the table).

Also, when we asked about HoA, the clerk volunteered (we didn't even ask this) that they had already sold another copy earlier in the day (and it was barely noon).  There were three left at the time (two, after I bought mine).  So that's probably a good sign, maybe that store will sell out and reorder. 

(Also, the SF/F section there had a solid EUOL section in general, paperbacks of Elantris and MB1 & 2.)
A man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest.

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Re: Buy report
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 07:04:51 AM »
I had pre-ordered mine from Amazon.com and recieved it yesterday (I had the one day shipping added).

Later that day I was at a local Barnes and Noble in Framingham, MA and looked for it out of curiosity (and perhaps to buy another copy  ;)) , but couldn't find it. I checked the computer system to try and locate it, and it said it was in stock and showed me where it was suppose to be, but it wasn't there. People must have bought it out and it hadn't updated in the system yet. :)

bhthomas

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 08:20:14 AM »
I reserved mine from the local Borders and when I went there today they told me that they had just ordered them so they would arrive Thursday. Checked online and all the borders within 25 miles of me had done the same thing. Now i have to wait till Thursday to even start reading it .Just my luck that when everyone is getting theirs early I get mine late

MajSpike

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 01:01:36 PM »
I checked my local Hastings yesterday and what do you know, there was nothing there. Good thing I knew the store wouldn't get the book, so I took the liberty of placing an order just for me. I hope I can start reading HOA before the end of the week.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 08:39:29 PM »
Sigh.  Yes, there have been some delays in distribution for some areas.  I'm so sorry, everyone!  I just did a longer blog post on it. 

We've got reports that every major market has SOME stores with it on the shelves, but each one also has many stores that don't.  Right now, we're sitting with at least 40% of stores not having put it out yet. 
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Rey

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 02:10:22 AM »
I went to three different stores here in town (Bellingham, WA) and none of them had copies. Had to end up ordering it from amazon so hopefully it gets here by the end of the week.

spejoku

• Level 3
  • Insanity isn't all that bad really.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 02:51:13 AM »
It was sold out at my B&N, so I'm getting it on friday.  I saw one of my english teachers there, looking for HoA too.  We agreed that if it was in stock, we'd fight for it.  It wasnt.

...I'm not sure I wouldve won.
Tacos: the food of choice for awesome people

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 05:42:01 AM »
Barnes and Noble in Idaho Falls had like 20 copies, as well as a bunch of Brandon's other books. But that's because the people at B&N in IF show good taste and actually like Brandon. In fact, on 3 separate occasions, when buying books there they recommended Brandon to me. Then they laughed when I told them I'd already read all of his current books 3 times.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 07:59:52 PM »
Sacramento, CA - only 3 of out local B&N's (I think out of 8) had them in stock, but they were all boxed and in the back.  My nearby Borders/Walden has them , but they say they didn't order enough to put on the shelf with all the reserve requests. Local indie bookstores gave me blank stares when I mentioned Brandon Sanderson.

Pretty much all the chains around here were agonizing about not having ordered enough, and that they were getting hammered by customers to hold copies. Oddly, my college's library has 2 copies right now... Them's the breaks, eh?

Congrats Brandon, on a work very well done. I have a feeling a NY Times Best-Seller is in the works.
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 09:12:46 PM »
You can only get on the NYT list if you sell a lot of books in a single week, which, even if people want the books, can't happen unless the bookstores have enough of them.

The Amazon rankings are interesting. Right now it's 182 and it's been as high as 152. Titlez.com says WoA only got up to 1,757 (though it says the paperback got up to 1,159, which is interesting since paperbacks usually don't perform as well on Amazon as hardbacks do).

Of course, 182 is not near 25.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 09:39:12 PM by Ookla The Mok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 11:37:10 PM »
The B&N out by me still doesn't have the copy I pre-ordered.  I hope it comes by the end of the week.  They said when they get it I should have an email within an hour.

MajSpike

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 07:03:53 AM »
I picked up my copy this afternoon.  :)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 11:29:05 PM »
I plan to pick my copy up tommorow.  :) Then once I madly read-through in a single day I can dash back to the computer and read all the *SPOILERS* posts!
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Agate

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 03:03:18 AM »
I had my copy pre-orderd st one of the Borders nearby,  When I had seen on the board that some books were released ahead of time I  went and checked on the sunday before release and found the book 4 copies, in the regular SCIFi/Faantasy Hardcover section, no display and not in the new releases section.  When I went to let them know to take me off the reserved list, I asked if they had more than the ones n the shelf and they stated that only the few that had been pre-ordered.  The remaining books had all sold already. the local B&N did not have any copies.

achren99

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 04:08:58 AM »
I just moved to Rochester, NY, and sadly, there are no Borders near my apt or work--so during my lunch break I drove all the way to Borders (took the whole hour to get there and back) and they didn't have them yet!  (It's my fault -- I should have been smart and called them -- I was just overly excited to buy it).  The guy apologized and said that I was the 3rd or 4th person who had asked that day (and it was noon the day it came out).  So you must have some fans in Rochester, Brandon!  Yay!

I ordered mine online and had it shipped to the store.  It started off in NJ on Thursday, then went on a detour to West Virginia and now is stuck in Pennsylvania.  I'm very sad.  It's ok, though, I'll survive :)

I searched B&N too and they were out.  They had a whole table full of Stephenie Meyer books though *rolls eyes.*  Everyone seems to have PLENTY of those.  haha  Do I sound bitter?

I wish there hadn't been all of these distribution problems and I hope it doesn't stop the book from making the NY Times list.