Author Topic: Mistborn:The Hero of Ages Thread. SPOILERS!  (Read 1496 times)

Czanos

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Mistborn:The Hero of Ages Thread. SPOILERS!
« on: October 14, 2008, 12:34:42 PM »
In a slightly ironic twist, as I have not yet got a copy of the book, I thought I'd start the spoiler thread. Discuss your impressions on the book, on the series in general, and ask Brandon questions.

Several potentially helpful background links:

The Final Hero of Ages Theories Thread
http://www.timewastersguide.com/forum/index.php?topic=6132.0

The Comprehensive Hemalurgy Thread
http://www.timewastersguide.com/forum/index.php?topic=5745.0

The Ruin and Preservation Thread
http://www.timewastersguide.com/forum/index.php?topic=5739.0

Other than that, let the fun begin.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn:The Hero of Ages Thread. SPOILERS!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 05:53:17 PM »
I almost choked when someone came up with the mist snapping theory within the past week. Of course, the details weren't there, but endless speculation hit on so many theories that were actually true. My hat's off to you.

And someone's hat is eaten.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 07:08:54 PM »
OK, that book was awesome.

I strongly suspected that Sazed was the HoA.  He just fit what little we did know.  Much of the foreshadowing was in Final Empire, actually.  His height was the first thing that jumped out at me when I started looking, probably because the comments about the Hero's height was the first annotation that I noticed had been changed by Ruin (something bugged me about it on the first reading, and so it stuck out even more on the second when I knew the answer).

Incidentally, when talking about style---the style of the bumps was done extremely well.  After the second chapter, I thought---reluctantly---that it was Rashek, but it still seemed off.  After the third, I was even less certain.  Somehow in those short chunks, EUOL managed to convey Sazed's personality, divorcing it from Rashek effectively.  I knew, rock solid certain, that Sazed was the HoA when I ran into the line "I am, unfortunately, the only leader they have," (paraphrased, I can't find it.)  From then on, the connection was easy.

And the revelation that Koloss were not just made from humans in the distant past, but actually constructed from real humans in the present---that was just plain terrifying. 

The relationship between Ruin and Preservation reminded me of the Purposes in David Edding's work, except frankly I like Ruin and Preservation better.  Their "game" was a no-holds-barred real fight, where either "player" would gladly cheat if it gave them an advantage.  Much more raw, I felt, and thus in many ways more immediate.  And a "game" it was, a game which makes chess look like tic-tac-toe, a game in which Preservation tricked Ruin into using Vin as a pawn, a move which succeeded for Preservation (and backfired on Ruin spectacularly) although it was really close.

OK, I need to get to work.  Hopefully we'll see more theories popping up soon.

My only real question at the moment:  What happened to the Kandra?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 07:33:12 PM by happyman »
Nature hates being reified.

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 07:11:49 PM »
Does the final version say exactly what happened to Marsh?  The ARC left it ambiguous.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 07:27:27 PM »
My only real question at the moment: What happened to the Kandra?
Brandon told me he was going to address that after draft 3.0...
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 10:13:01 PM »
So that means there are some things you Alpha Readers don't know?  Oh, I have got to finish this book now.  :D
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 11:14:23 PM »
There are plenty of things I don't know. And don't go peeking in the spoiler thread if you haven't finished the book!