Author Topic: Mistborn Book 3 Was In Store Days Before Release!  (Read 2091 times)

merlincam

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Mistborn Book 3 Was In Store Days Before Release!
« on: October 13, 2008, 05:07:32 PM »
I tried to email brandon this but it wasn't working:

Brandon,

I was at the Barnes and Noble at the mall at turtle creek in jonesboro, arkansas where I live on Saturday October 11th and saw the mistborn book 3 on the shelf, I asked them why but they didn't give me an answer.

I wanted to let you know because I have ordered a signed copy and I have to wait for it, so I don't think it's fair for them to have it for sale days early.

The mall listing is here:
http://www.mallatturtlecreek.com/storelistings.html

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn Book 3 Was In Store Days Before Release!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 05:45:56 PM »
I tried to email brandon this but it wasn't working:

Brandon,

I was at the Barnes and Noble at the mall at turtle creek in jonesboro, arkansas where I live on Saturday October 11th and saw the mistborn book 3 on the shelf, I asked them why but they didn't give me an answer.

I wanted to let you know because I have ordered a signed copy and I have to wait for it, so I don't think it's fair for them to have it for sale days early.

The mall listing is here:
http://www.mallatturtlecreek.com/storelistings.html

This has been the case for pretty much all of Brandon's books since I started reading them (before MB2). 

From what I understand, the "release dates" for books are mostly just suggestive.  It's more letting people know that it will be available that day, but could be found a few days earlier.  Some stores adhere strictly to the date, but others do not.

It seems rather rare that you have a book like Harry Potter, which has extremely strict guidelines on when it can come out, simply because of the size of the group of readers of the book and the hype built up around it. 

In general, it seems that stores put things on shelves well before the 'release date' if they can.  If I remember correctly, the first Alcatraz book was on some shelves for as much as a month before the official date.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 08:44:29 PM »
Tor does not want the bookstores to break the release date. They have asked Brandon not to sign any books before Tuesday. (Scholastic does not seem to care about release dates, except with Harry Potter.)

In any case, both Brandon and Tor are aware of this issue. Brandon can't do anything about it besides do as Tor asks, and Tor is doing what they can on their end with the bookstores.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 09:34:32 PM »
It happens. 

We'd rather that the bookstores wait, but there are just so many books coming out that it's tough to keep track of them.  Plus, for most books, it doesn't matter at all.  Just for those lucky enough to get close to the Bestseller lists. 

So if you found a copy early, great!  It's fine.  I hope you enjoy it, and don't worry.  We understand that they get put on shelves early sometimes. 

http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 02:22:42 AM »
EUOL, are you officially back on now that the book is coming out, or are we officially waiting until tomorrow after the release party to welcome you back to the forum?

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 04:55:50 AM »
He's been lurking here Sunday and Monday. He posted on the Job Well Done topic that he will sticky a Spoiler thread midnight tonight and then answer questions.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Adrienne

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 03:30:40 PM »
I'm glad I saw this thread.  I was able to purchase it last night (B&N are WAY overpriced) and am 1/3 of the way finished with the book.  It's frustrating to know I could have picked it up two days earlier then that. 

MPlease

• Level 4
  • You mean my character concept can't be 'pink hair?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 05:22:55 PM »
Well I don't know if they were put out early or you're just that good, but the bookstore here was sold out of HoA today  (Good for you, Brandon, but I wanted a copy, dangit!) and we're going to have to go make a trip around to all the other local stores to see if they have them in stock tonight after the hubby gets off of work.
English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 09:04:00 PM »
I preordered a copy at my local B&N early last week.  Went by today to pick it up and they didn't have it.

They said they got 2 copies in on the 9th, and both were gone.  At first I was a little upset, since I preordered one, but it sounds like those two copies were also preorders, so it's at least good that there is some local interest in his books.

Though, they did said the local distribution place had many copies, and has mine ready to ship to the store, and they would let me know when it comes in, "probably some time this week".  I'm a little confused as to why they didn't just throw it in with the other two, but hopefully it will come in time so that I can help out the first week sales.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 01:14:05 AM »
yeah I'm hoping I'll get mine at Borders this weekend, its pretty much five mins from my house. Although now I'm thinking I should at least call ahead...
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Mellington the loony Gold Misting

• Level 5
  • Hoid's deranged yet cute stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 09:53:00 PM »
With any given book shipping is generally done so that the book arrives in stores and libraries 1-7 days prior to release.
Some places follow the rules, others totally ignore them and put their copies out early.

I remember working in a library and a store that sold books and unpacking and stocking massive troves of Harry Potter books one or two days before release.  Did I sneak a look at the table of contents?  Heck yes.  Genuine article.

The Potters got shelved, displayed or reserved AFTER closing on the night prior to release (I worked in the stores when the early books were coming out and the hype hadn't reached a high...so no all night release parties yet).

Even if we weren't readers  (which would be really odd in a bookstore or library) we had to reference the release date if it was a new release book prior to putting it out.  It was standard operating procedure and it took only a few minutes.  Sometimes this meant holding a book in back for a week before we could move it to a shelf or display.

Obviously someone was skipping steps at various bookstores if the release dates were ignored - I blame the management.