Author Topic: Hero of Ages, job well done  (Read 14525 times)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Hero of Ages, job well done
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2008, 03:10:00 AM »
Yeah I can kinda see why you would want to read the end. But for me I like to put myself in the shoes of the characters.       Sometimes I even find myself adopting their facial expressions...They have no idea how its going to end, so why should I?
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

jnktoburen

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Uh... is this thing on?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2008, 04:58:08 AM »
Really outstanding discussion.

It comes down to preferrence. There will always be ending readers. There will always be those who'd never want to know the ending first.

Happily, we all get to enjoy the book in our way. We all get to "win".

Well, I'm 150 pages in... back to it!
What? You were expecting greatness?

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2008, 06:07:45 PM »
I have the book also, but have not finished it yet.  My reading has really slowed down lately, but I am rereading and analyzing a lot, so that might be why.  I preordered it from Amazon, but saw it at borders on Sunday and couldn't wait.  I did not read the ending, but I did check out the ars arcanum.  Not any real spoilers in it.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 06:18:32 PM by darxbane »
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2008, 06:56:13 PM »
I didn't want to start a new thread so this was the best area to post this request/suggestion.

Would it be possible to arrange a live chat room with Brandon, Ookla, et. al sometime in the coming days after the books release?

Many cannot attend a signing or party and it would be a nice treat for everyone to give their thanks to Brandon and discuss the books that have created lifelong fans. I know Brandon's free time is few and far between and something like this may not be possible, which is why I suggested Ookla or any other person that was involved from the get-go whom might have some knowledge not easily gleaned from the books.

We'll have plenty of time between Sanderson books to chat on the forums, it seemed that an event like this might warrant something more personal. Anyway, that's just my 2¢.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

jnktoburen

• Level 2
  • Uh... is this thing on?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2008, 08:27:57 PM »
Gotta second VegasDev's suggestion.

Let's all love on BS a little, and get some of those extra details we all love.
What? You were expecting greatness?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2008, 10:11:12 PM »
Has everyone read Patrick Rothfuss's review of Hero of Ages on Amazon?

"I was lucky enough to get an advance reading copy of this book a while back. And I have to say that Sanderson's storytelling keeps getting better and better.

"Simply said, Brandon Sanderson's books are so good that they're starting to piss me off. It just doesn't seem fair that someone should be about to write this well, this fast.

"I don't believe in spoilers, so I will say simply this. Everything comes to good resolution in this final book. It all fits. It all makes sense. But at the same time I didn't see it coming. That doesn't happen very often."
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2008, 01:14:34 AM »

I was at work today at my college library, and we, the employees, had to step outside and go through a mandatory fire lesson. There was a trailer waiting for us at the parking lot. We entered it. The fireman told us the obvious--lay low, feel the door, get out stay out. You know.

To get to the point, the trailer emits smoke from the ground and walls, to show people what its like in an actual fire. He said that the smoke he was using wasn't poisonous and was also a bit lighter in color.

"...Like Mist."

Imagine me, sitting there, everyone saying "wow, thats pretty awesome..." and me saying..."Please don't choke me, please don't choke me, please don't choke me..."

lol.

"Sir you ok?" says the Fireman.

"huh?" i squinted. "holy crap, The mist spirit! Wow, i didn't imagine you with a gut. Or side burns for that matter..."

"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2008, 09:30:42 PM »
I finally found time to read the book, starting yesterday afternoon and finishing sometime in the early morning hours. I wanted to share a little bit of my experience but am afraid that my words will sound contrived, please do not take them as such.

To say that I was surprised with how emotionally vested I became with this series is an understatement. I can remember crying only a few times in my adult life; when my grandfather passed, when my son was born and at various times throughout this book.

I fully understand that these are fictional characters in a work of fantasy but my journey with them was more than that of a spectator leafing through the pages of a book; I developed an emotional connection just as I would with family or friend. I tried to internalize these emotions as best I could but they still found ways to bubble to the surface.

My son (Alex, 2 years old) takes a bath every night just before bed, I read him a book or two and then tuck him in. Last night, of course, I was reading Mistborn 3 and was just finishing a section about Spook that was particularly emotional to me. Alex walked up to my chair wearing his pajamas and asks "Are you ok Daddy?", patting my leg to console me. I didn't even realize I had tears streaming down my cheeks. I didn't answer but instead picked him up in a hug and carried him to his room for book time.

Obviously, I was able to experience the full gamut of emotions reading these books, from excitement, joy to sadness. That was not the last time I cried either, but stands out to me because of it's importance. In the coming years, I will still be able to enjoy your books, reading new ones as they come, experiencing old ones again and again.

I simply wanted to say Thank You Brandon. Not because you wrote an exceptional series, but because in 13 years or so I will be watching my son while he reads and when he gets to Spooks chapter, pat him on the leg and ask "Are you ok Alex?".
moustaches on the other.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2008, 01:02:52 AM »
Wow, that is so cool. That is the sort of thing I think every author lives for; for their words to touch the hearts and minds of their readers. I can only think of perhaps one or two books that have been that emotionally charged for me. I can tell this will be another one to add to that list. I can't wait to pick it up!
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2008, 05:49:41 AM »
I'm about 280 pages in, and I really don't have time to read, but I keep making it. This book is amazing.  I'll probably stay off the next few days until I'm able to finish it. See ya guys then!
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2008, 11:57:28 PM »
Well, I got the book last night at the Sam Weller's signing, and just finished it.

With the memories fresh in my mind, I can only agree with VegasDev. These books have the power to touch people. To make them trust more in the world, to change their lives for the better.

Seventy years from now, when I'm either old or dead, I hope my children, and their children, and even their children will still read these books. They contain messages that do not dull over time.

I would like to humbly thank Brandon for sticking to his dreams and giving us these stories.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2008, 12:22:14 AM »
In my English 339 class at MSU, one of the texts I'm reading really said that genre fiction has no merit because the stories are completely formulaic and interchangeable. Then, she mentioned that Harry Potter is a work of genre fiction trying to be more than that.

Well, I humbly present this author--who says that genre fiction has no literary merit--the Mistborn trilogy, a series unique, powerful, exciting, and logical. It is a work like nothing else, a real inspiration to aspiring writers (like me) to strive to make new, unique stories with powerful characters. And a fantastic magic system, one which is simple, yet complex.

Mistborn is a refreshing tale, one of the finest fantasy stories I have read. The characters are extraordinarily real, and like Czanos said, they contain messages that do not dull over time. Of course, in my opinion, Mistborn is more about being an entertaining story first. The fact that it succeeds in both entertaining value and deeper meaning is just a testament to Brandon's skill.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2008, 01:11:51 AM »
I enjoyed Harry Potter, but it is SO formulaic, and there was such a waste of potential to make Snape's character more complex in the final book. Sigh.

Eventually, people are going to say that Harry Potter has nothing on Brandon. Alcatraz may be a bit too quirky to appeal to a lot of the Harry Potter crowd, but Scribbler could be gigantic.

Okay, I'm being overly optimistic, because you just can't predict a success like Harry Potter. So many random factors go into a bestseller like that that don't necessarily correlate to how good the book is. If the audience for Scribbler can find out about it, it's going to be huge, but it takes a lot of word of mouth.

Anyway, Brandon's books are anything but formulaic. They're such a breath of fresh air. And he's only getting better and better.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2008, 01:38:00 AM »
...but Scribbler could be gigantic....

....If the audience for Scribbler can find out about it, it's going to be huge, but it takes a lot of word of mouth.

Agreed. I have done alot of fan art, 3D modeling, etc. because I thought it was a great book. I've been hoping he gets it published because I know alot of teenagers that liked Alcatraz but it was just a bit too young for them and Mistborn/Elantris was too old. Scribbler fit that young adult to adult range.
moustaches on the other.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile