Author Topic: Randon Mistborn Thoughts/Questions  (Read 1720 times)

Adrienne

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Randon Mistborn Thoughts/Questions
« on: October 09, 2008, 07:09:46 PM »
The noblemen are people that are accepted as blessed by the Lord Ruler for supporting him during his rise of power.  Obviously they are not terrismen because he has hunted them to extinction.  Were they perhaps Alendi's traveling companions?

On page 111 of the second book it states:

"Perhaps that was what Marsh had been following; the senses of a man burning tin could be quite acute."

Marsh wasn't a Mistborn he was a seeker who could burn bronze...  Was this part of his change into an inquisitor?

VegasDev

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Randon Mistborn Thoughts/Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 07:57:01 PM »
The noblemen are people that are accepted as blessed by the Lord Ruler for supporting him during his rise of power.  Obviously they are not terrismen because he has hunted them to extinction.  Were they perhaps Alendi's traveling companions?

Yeah, I thought this was a little weird myself, which spawned my 'TLR is actually Alendi theory'. I won't get into the specifics, but the only argument against it was that TLR had Feruchemy which Alendi did not have, as if Furechemy is the only ability that cannot be gained. This might be true but I haven't seen any evidence that Feruchemy cannot be gained through a process similar to the other two.

On page 111 of the second book it states:

"Perhaps that was what Marsh had been following; the senses of a man burning tin could be quite acute."

Marsh wasn't a Mistborn he was a seeker who could burn bronze...  Was this part of his change into an inquisitor?

Marsh could always tell what someone was burning as long as they didn't have a cloud up. His Hemalurgy might strengthen his Allomancy allowing him to read them or give him the ability to pierce the clouds. Or both.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 08:23:57 PM »
Yeah, I thought this was a little weird myself, which spawned my 'TLR is actually Alendi theory'. I won't get into the specifics, but the only argument against it was that TLR had Feruchemy which Alendi did not have, as if Furechemy is the only ability that cannot be gained. This might be true but I haven't seen any evidence that Feruchemy cannot be gained through a process similar to the other two.
There's also the argument that a good storyteller would not make the major twist in the first book turn out to be false in the third book.

Marsh could always tell what someone was burning as long as they didn't have a cloud up. His Hemalurgy might strengthen his Allomancy allowing him to read them or give him the ability to pierce the clouds. Or both.
I think Adrienne's point was that Marsh was burning tin.  This isn't by any means the only reference to Inquisitors doing things that seem Allomantic, but that's been discussed to death on other threads, so I won't get into it now.
He ate my horse.

Adrienne

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 08:28:33 PM »
I think Adrienne's point was that Marsh was burning tin.

Yes, this is where Sazed was following Marsh around and Marsh walked directly towards the smell of blood.

I don't see TLR as Alendi due to TLR having terrismen only traits and TLR did have Terris blood.

I'm trying to dig through the Hemalurgy thread slowly but surely as my clock ticks down for the books release :)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 08:36:09 PM »
Well... it's presumed that Hemalurgy could grant Allomancy. We go back on forth without any definitive answer.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

VegasDev

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 09:12:29 PM »
Ahh, yes. You are quite right, I did misinterpret Adrienne's post about buring Tin.

Regarding the TLR theory, I haven't decided what I think of it, it's merely another theory I pondered trying to make sense of what little information we have acquired. I have a bunch of theories that prove and disprove each other, I am just trying to fit them together like a puzzle that will eventually fall into place. I fear I will have failed come October 14th, however I am comforted because a voice whispers that another shall finish my work.

My TLR theory was created to make sense of his actions. He gave Allomancy to people he hated, forced his own race into slavery and breeding programs in part to prevent them from breeding with the very same people he gave Allomancy to, which would have produced offspring that could challenge his throne. Why not just withhold Allomancy entirely?

The only confirmation in the book that Rashek was TLR was when Vin whispers 'Rashek' and TLR turns. She accuses him of killing Alendi and then TLR says 'You know nothing!' 'You know nothing of that!' We also have Kwan's mention that he is sending Rashek to kill Alendi and Alendi's journal ending before the asencion, so there are those things.

However this information is offset by TLR's actions and other things in Alendi's journal. Alendi killed his own friends because it was necessary while Rashek always talked about the Terris people being dominant rather than subservient. Alendi wouldn't have to change character to become TLR in book 1, whereas Rashek would have to change dramatically, making his own race subservient when he wished them to be dominant, merely because he decided to give Allomancy to people he hated.

Edit: Please don't read this as I am in support of my theory; I have come up with theories against, like the reason he put the Terris into breeding programs was to breed out the ability to store memories in metalminds, which could be altered by Ruin. I think Brandon even mentions Rashek in one of his annotations, proving that TLR was in fact Rashek, however like I said, most of my theories are trying to make sense of information that doesn't jive. I don't share most of them, the board would be too cluttered.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 09:19:03 PM by VegasDev »
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.