Author Topic: The 13th and 14th metals?  (Read 5515 times)

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
Re: The 13th and 14th metals?
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2008, 12:48:58 AM »
*Raises hand*

I has a theory.  So this kinda goes back to the mist being one of the metals.  What if the Chromium was in the mist which hinders everyone's powers and that's why not everyone can burn metals and burning Nichromel gives you the power to burn metal.  This would explain why Elend could burn it even though he wasn't an Allomancer.  This would make them opposites, fit them into the chart.

Also the burning the mists could have been directing the power of the Chromium against TLR making him weaker, not Vin stronger.  So you get rid of the mist and everyone can burn metals, but those with Nichromel can burn better and stronger. 

Th. Nichromel would be passed through blood, showing how it's inherited, it could be similar to a chromium deficiency only difference being it'd be backwards and with Nichromel.

Would this mean that before the Ascension, everybody was capable of Allomancy?

That would be the mother of all twists.  It would be really cool, actually.  Unfortunately, I think that something as basic as that would have survived in skaa tradition. and that Alendi would have compared Feruchemy to Allomancy even if Allomancy was universal (e.g. he would have said that the Terrismen became stronger than even a man flaring pewter.)

Yeah, I think something like that would have survived for at least a thousand years.  Quite a theory though.  A couple days and we'll see. :)
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2008, 06:00:47 AM »
*Raises hand*

I has a theory.  So this kinda goes back to the mist being one of the metals.  What if the Chromium was in the mist which hinders everyone's powers and that's why not everyone can burn metals and burning Nichromel gives you the power to burn metal.  This would explain why Elend could burn it even though he wasn't an Allomancer.  This would make them opposites, fit them into the chart.

Also the burning the mists could have been directing the power of the Chromium against TLR making him weaker, not Vin stronger.  So you get rid of the mist and everyone can burn metals, but those with Nichromel can burn better and stronger. 

Th. Nichromel would be passed through blood, showing how it's inherited, it could be similar to a chromium deficiency only difference being it'd be backwards and with Nichromel.

That would be the mother of all twists.  It would be really cool, actually.  Unfortunately, I think that something as basic as that would have survived in skaa tradition. and that Alendi would have compared Feruchemy to Allomancy even if Allomancy was universal (e.g. he would have said that the Terrismen became stronger than even a man flaring pewter.)

Yeah, I think something like that would have survived for at least a thousand years.  Quite a theory though.  A couple days and we'll see. :)
TLR had a lot of power he could have stomped it out.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2008, 04:28:23 PM »
*Raises hand*

TLR had a lot of power he could have stomped it out.

Even if TLR did stamp it out, Alendi would still probably have compared Feruchemy and Allomancy.  Even if it was perfectly normal to burn metals, surely the comparison would have come up.  In such a world, most people would still not have had access to metals at all times, and so it would still have been a magic system.  In addition, the supply lists would have certainly included all the allomantic metals as part of the basic needs; in such a world, who would go anywhere without pewter for the soldiers, at the very least?

Perhaps even more important, the Keepers would surely have remembered something as basic as that.  TLR didn't control absolutely everything.  With 300+ religions still in memory and knowledge of flowers floating around, surely something as universal as that would have slipped through.
Nature hates being reified.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2008, 08:39:03 PM »
I have to agree. I feel its just too far out there to suggest before TLR everyone could use allomancy. Now dont get me wrong that is a cool idea. I only think that it would have survived in some way shape or form that was known to people.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2008, 06:21:26 AM »
I have to agree. I feel its just too far out there to suggest before TLR everyone could use allomancy. Now dont get me wrong that is a cool idea. I only think that it would have survived in some way shape or form that was known to people.
But how often do wo think about stuff that is just natural?  It could have easily been looked over.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2008, 08:02:05 PM »
I'll admit that's possible; it's one thing to be stronger because of pewter (especially if most everyone can do it), but it's another thing to see someone grow in size and muscle to move a boulder. The comparison may never have come to mind. If everyone can use something, it may not be referenced at all.

Like if everyone had leather boots, and then someone had snake hide boots, you might comment on that oddity without ever mentioning that everyone else had leather boots, just because, well, everyone had leather boots. Why state the obvious?

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2008, 10:14:02 PM »
Like if everyone had leather boots, and then someone had snake hide boots, you might comment on that oddity without ever mentioning that everyone else had leather boots, just because, well, everyone had leather boots.

Wow I want a pair.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2008, 10:38:06 PM »
I'll admit that's possible; it's one thing to be stronger because of pewter (especially if most everyone can do it), but it's another thing to see someone grow in size and muscle to move a boulder. The comparison may never have come to mind. If everyone can use something, it may not be referenced at all.

Like if everyone had leather boots, and then someone had snake hide boots, you might comment on that oddity without ever mentioning that everyone else had leather boots, just because, well, everyone had leather boots. Why state the obvious?

That's one possibility.  However, the real deal breaker for me is that TLR did not have absolute power over all myths and legends.  The Keepers deliberately opposed him, desperately saving what they had.  Surely ~200 years into TLR's reign people would still have remembered that they used to be able to use Allomancy?  That would have been an economic and social calamity on the order of, well, everything else TLR did.  Surely even if TLR changed the skaa legends he would not have been able to change the Keeper's legends?  We have solid evidence that he did not.  The knowledge would have survived.
Nature hates being reified.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2008, 03:30:05 AM »
The keepers weren't founded until like two hundred years into his reign remember?  Think of our world 200 years ago.  That's a really long time.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2008, 02:33:37 AM »
Case in point. Thank you, Comatose. :)

happyman