Author Topic: Anime  (Read 6240 times)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Anime
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 10:05:41 PM »
Wow thanks! I've started going through Hellsing which looks as if it didn't make the list.  :( Its a vampire type anime, modern setting. There are some episodes where they swear a lot, some not at all. There is a lot of gore, probably more than most here would appreciate. Also the view of religion is not really positive, don't know what most of you would think about that. Like there's this crazy priest running around with "JC is dead" written on his gloves, so yeah I wouldn't recommend it.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2008, 06:25:51 AM »
One thing you should be aware of is ratings.  Some anime is R-rated, which may or may not be a problem for you.  They are labeled, however, as 18 and up, 16 and up, 13 and up, and so on.  I personally think that 16 and up would count as R-rated, but my husband thinks it is just a really strong PG-13, so be warned.

Also, the magazine Anime Insider did a list of the top 50 anime.  I don't know if I agree with it, but I thought I would include it here.

1. Cowboy Bebop
2. Porco Rosso
3. Millenium Actress
4. FLCL
5. Revolution Girl Utena
6. Neon Genesis Evangelion
7. Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade
8. The Castle of Cagliostro
9. Akira
10. Macross Plus
11. Fullmetal Alchemist
12. Now and Then, Here and There
13. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
14. Ghost in the Shell/Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex
15. Haibane Renmei
16. Grave of the Fireflies
17. Paranoia Agent
18. Boogiepop Phantom
19. My Neighbor Totoro
20. Gankutsuou
21. Tokyo Godfathers
22. Patlabor the Movie 2
23. Galaxy Express 999
24. Serial Experiments Lain
25. Princess Tutu
26. Movile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
27. Samurai Champloo
28. Planetes
29. The Place Promised in our Early Days
30. Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal
31. Gunbuster: Aim for the Top!
32. Princess Mononoke
33. Read or Die
34. Trigun
35. Excel Saga
36. Night on the Galactic Railroad
37. Fruits Basket
38. Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
39. Astro Boy
40. Urusei Yatsura
41. Azumanga Daioh
42. Twelve Kingdoms
43. Giant Robo: the Animation
44. Irresponsible Captain Tylor
45. Fantastic Children
46. Cardcaptor Sakura
47. Kino's Journey
48. Berserk
49. Saikano
50. Vision of Escaflowne

Interesting list, although I'm not sure I agree with some of the rankings either. I think Neon Genesis Evangelion should definitely be in the top two. Berserk definitely needs to be higher as well.

And as for Hellsing, which series are you watching? There is the original series released (think  it was four discs) and now they're releasing the Hellsing Unlimited series, which follows the manga more closely.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2008, 10:03:11 PM »
Im just watching it on youtube and I am fairly sure its the original. I'll have to look into the Unlimited though, thanks for the heads-up.
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2008, 10:12:38 AM »
Berserk is a great series except for the last episode or two, there's some really messed up stuff there.

Eva is utter crap, it's one of those things that makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever yet everyone thinks that if they don't understand it they're admitting they're dumb so they all talk about how great it is instead, which gets their friends to watch it--and thus start the whole cycle over again.  Even if the plot made any sense all the characters are so fricking annoying and moronic (I know that's supposed to be the point) that it's frustrating to watch.

I'm also wary of any list that has Excel Saga in it....shutter, and didn't have Char's Counter Attack (heck every Gundam series and many war anime series just copy that movie in just about ever regard).

I'd list in this order myself:

1) Robotech (oh ya)
2) Macross Plus
3) FLCL
4) Bebop
5) Any Miyazaki (my favorite is Laputa)
6) Char's Counter Attack
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2008, 08:50:17 PM »
I second Sprig's opinion of Eva. It's not nearly as good as some people think it is, and mostly just gets notoriety because it's a) well known and b) unintelligible. It's a prime example of the Emperor's New Clothes in action.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2008, 10:49:59 PM »
...I liked Eva, even though everything you've said about it is true. I wonder why I liked it.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

spejoku

• Level 3
  • Insanity isn't all that bad really.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2008, 11:16:37 PM »
I personally love Miazakis.  Spirited Away was one of the best animes ever.  Also, I liked Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann quite a bit (its by the guy who made FLCL and it has giant robots made of faces).

Have you ever heard of the Chevalier D'eon?  It's a horror anime, so it's pretty bloody in some places, but all in all it's cool and creepy. 
Tacos: the food of choice for awesome people

MrPaperCamel

• Level 12
  • Camel Superiority
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2008, 10:54:21 PM »
I like making lists, so here is mine:

1) FullMetal Alchemist
2) Cowboy Beebop
3) Trigun
4) Death Note (Ignoring the last few episodes)
5) The Irresponsible Captain Tylor
6) Miyazaki  (I even think just him on screen staring back at us would still be better than most things that come out of Hollywood these days.)

Death Note is really dark. Really really dark. The concept was so interesting and you keep being pulled along by what the heck is going on that I couldn't stop watching it.

I know this is some sort of Blasphemy to some people, but Trigun was only watchable dubbed. I normally hate the horribly acted dubbing that accompines these works, but Trigun actually pulled it off. It also help the whoever wrote the subtitles might have had too much to drink while writing them. Exactly how many ways are there to spell Vash?
If it's not on fire, it's usually a software problem.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2008, 01:27:38 AM »
yeah I was checking out death note. I think I'm on something like episode 20. And yes, it is really dark. Its just getting into the play and counter-play, mental strategy between Light and L.

And I checked out Spirited Away by Miyazaki and, while its not my style, I still thought it was really, really good.

zchance

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2008, 08:28:39 PM »
While I was a big fan of anime when I was a kid I haven't watched any for a really long time. However I noticed that Hulu just added a ton of Anime series to their lineup and thought some of you may get a kick out of it. I am thinking I may start reconnecting myself. It's at http://www.hulu.com/channels/Animation-and-Cartoons/Anime#kind=shows&sort=popularity

zchance

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2008, 08:53:27 PM »
Here is the list of shows they have so far on Hulu:
xxxHolic
Naruto
Bleach
Death Note
Peach Girl