Author Topic: Anime  (Read 6237 times)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Anime
« on: October 01, 2008, 12:06:39 AM »
So I have pretty much never watched an anime in my life. The closest I have ever gotten to reading an anime is when my little brother throws one of his Batman comics at me...

I am wondering what shows are good. There seem to be so many...

I don't really know if anyone here actually watches anime, although I believe Ookla's work has to do with manga in print. However, if anyone has any suggestions of shows I might like please chime in!

(also if someone could coach me on the difference in anime and manga)  :D
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 12:43:00 AM by Reaves »
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

dawncawley

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Anime
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 02:55:23 AM »
If I remember correctly, there are quite a few anime watchers that post here. I don't watch much, but I have heard that Naruto is good. I don't remember where I heard it, but like I said, I don't really watch much. Good luck, and you should get some much more useful posts than mine soon :)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 05:08:46 AM »
Manga is in books. Anime is on TVs and movie screens. (It comes from the English word "animation.")

What types of genres are you interested in? Asking for anime or manga suggestions is like asking for movie/TV suggestions or book suggestions. They're formats; stories of all kinds appear in those formats.

Karen says it is kind of interesting that you have a very anime-looking guy in your avatar, though she supposes he could come from a video game.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 05:46:39 AM »
Hehe, his avatar is of Cloud from FF VII. Although if I'm not mistaken, its from the CGI movie Advent Children, which was AWESOME. (saw it IN theaters when I was stationed in Japan).

Ookla is correct about the genre thing. There are just as many, if not more genres in anime than anywhere else.

A few suggestions from my personal opinion would include:

If you're into Mecha/Giant Robots, check out Gundam Wing; Escaflowne; and definitely, DEFINITELY Neon Genesis Evangelion.

If you're into more traditional sword and/or sorcery, check out Samurai X, Berserk, Record of Lodoss War.

If you're into sci-fi, check out Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Vandread

For comedy, Love Hina is pretty good.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.  :)

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 12:23:34 PM »
My avatar is from both, actually  :P The character Cloud is originally from the video game Final Fantasy 7 which I have never played, strangely enough. However they did make a pretty awesome, full-length anime movie based on the same characters. Its a bit weak on dialogue but its not like its all action either; the makers obviously tried to incorporate themes such as forgiveness and friendship. I'd reccomend it but its confusing.

It is a magic/swords thing, but its based in the future, and its really quite cool. In fact I would go so far as to say its amazing.

As for what I am interested in, probably either sci-fi or fantasy. definitely not mecha, definitely not comedy. Thanks!

EDIT: I guess that kinda puts the lie to my statement when I said I've never seen any anime  :P
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 11:19:56 PM by Reaves »
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 04:50:28 PM »
I enjoyed the FF VII movie, even though I've never played the game.

Cowboy Bebop is a great anime. Also, you could try anything by Miyazaki; I would especially recommend Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke (My Neighbor Totoro is amazing, but I think moreso if you have kids).  I also like Trigun, Millenium Actress, The Big O, Last Exile, and InuYasha (although InuYasha might be too much for the girl crowd). Oh, and Hikaru no Go is oddly intriguing considering it is all about playing Go.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 07:35:19 PM »
Amazing! No mention of Dragonball or Dragonball Z!

Some good anime movies, imo, would be Vampire Hunter D, Fist of the North Star, and the Samurai X movie.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 08:38:52 PM »
I liked Akira and Wicked City. For series, Full Metal Alchemist and Full Metal Panic (unrelated) are pretty good.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 09:37:40 PM »
Urusei Yatsura the movie 2: Beautiful Dreamer is an outstanding piece of reality-bending SF. I would recommend it to anyone who likes Philip K Dick stories; it can be enjoyed without knowing anything about the rest of the Urusei Yatsura series.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 03:35:41 AM »
Amazing! No mention of Dragonball or Dragonball Z!

Some good anime movies, imo, would be Vampire Hunter D, Fist of the North Star, and the Samurai X movie.

Honestly never liked the Dragonball series. Don't know what it was, just never appealed to me. Although I fully second the Vampire Hunter D recommendation. :)

As for sci-fi/fantasy, your best bet is everything that's been mentioned already (Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Outlaw Star, etc, etc). That's a good list to start with.

Oh, and for movies, definitely Akira, although I suggest picking up the 6 volumes of manga by Katsuhiro Otomo that the movie was based on. It is truly and genuinely awesome.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 04:12:33 PM »
Akira was a good series.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 09:23:56 PM »
I'm glad this thread is here because I know even less about anime and manga than Reaves does but was scared to admit it in this crowd.

Can someone give me a rough definition of anime?  Pretty much all I know is it's some kind of Japanese cartoons.  How exactly does it differ from American cartoons (say, Little Mermaid or Lion King or Finding Nemo)?  Is the target audience still children?  (I'm guessing not exclusively, from the fact that so many adults are crazy about it.)  Is the dialogue in Japanese, or do they dub it in English too?  What exactly is the appeal of anime over live-action Hollywood movies?

Thanks.
He ate my horse.

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 10:44:57 PM »
I'm glad this thread is here because I know even less about anime and manga than Reaves does but was scared to admit it in this crowd.

Can someone give me a rough definition of anime?  Pretty much all I know is it's some kind of Japanese cartoons.  How exactly does it differ from American cartoons (say, Little Mermaid or Lion King or Finding Nemo)?  Is the target audience still children?  (I'm guessing not exclusively, from the fact that so many adults are crazy about it.)  Is the dialogue in Japanese, or do they dub it in English too?  What exactly is the appeal of anime over live-action Hollywood movies?

Thanks.

Anime is basically short for Animation. Japanese anime started around the early 1900's, the first ever anime produced was in 1917 and was only two minutes long. After Disney's success in America, Japan took notice and really started to crank them out. Western Animation, mostly Disney, was a huge influence on the style of Japanese Animation.

The great thing about anime is that it ranges from being targeted for young children to adults. There aren't too many western animation shows that are geared towards adults. Mostly children.

The differences are amazing though. For example, you usually won't find a western animation show for adults dealing with such themes as religion, sexuality, evolution, etc etc. (just fyi, I'm referring that to a Japanese anime known as Neon Genesis Evangelion, sometimes considered one of the breakthrough and highly praised animes).

As for the dialogue, it depends. Some people like me will usually never watch it with American voice actors, aka "dubbed", because we feel it detracts from how the original was suppose to be presented. Others hate reading subtitles. /shrug
It is more of a preference thing really. Although I always though the subbed voice acting always carried more emotion usually.

In terms of Hollywood live action vs. Japanese anime, let me put it this way (although remember, it is just my opinion  :)): I've been emotionally moved and awed by more Japanese Anime than I have by live action Hollywood movies. I think it is because Hollywood really doesn't take chances that much with films. I dunno, I've always just found Japanese anime to be deeper than most Hollywood flicks.

Sorry for the long post, wish I could explain it better.  :)

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 06:35:15 PM »
Thanks for the explanation - I think I get it better now!
He ate my horse.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 06:09:45 PM »
One thing you should be aware of is ratings.  Some anime is R-rated, which may or may not be a problem for you.  They are labeled, however, as 18 and up, 16 and up, 13 and up, and so on.  I personally think that 16 and up would count as R-rated, but my husband thinks it is just a really strong PG-13, so be warned.

Also, the magazine Anime Insider did a list of the top 50 anime.  I don't know if I agree with it, but I thought I would include it here.

1. Cowboy Bebop
2. Porco Rosso
3. Millenium Actress
4. FLCL
5. Revolution Girl Utena
6. Neon Genesis Evangelion
7. Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade
8. The Castle of Cagliostro
9. Akira
10. Macross Plus
11. Fullmetal Alchemist
12. Now and Then, Here and There