Author Topic: Mistborn 3 Chapter 3  (Read 13302 times)

VegasDev

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Mistborn 3 Chapter 3
« on: September 29, 2008, 05:20:54 AM »
Wow.

Are we finally seeing Hemalurgical abilities or Feruchemical abilities fused with Allomancy?
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Re: Mistborn 3 Chapter 3
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 07:16:47 AM »
Holy crap. Wow! I never stop saying "wow" with these sample chapters. Yeah, I will love this book.

Honestly, when Vin appeared... I was laughing like a giddy schoolboy it was so awesome.

And then an Inquisitor battle? Heck yes!

Phew...

I'm pumped.

There are so many interestingly awesome things in this. Let's see, where to begin?

Firstly, Rashek is the guy who is writing the epigraphs. Talking about anyone else at this point seems... silly.

Okay, Elend is awesome. Vin with Elend? Even better! Obviously, Elend's Allomancy is incredibly powerful because its "pure" Allomancy from the 15th metal. Vin actually compares his duralumin + zinc strength with the Lord Ruler's power. Now that's saying something!

I would assume that the thing that is controlling the koloss was Ruin, more or less than we already anticipated. He's certainly controlling lots of them, that's for sure.

As for the super-speed... I have no idea. Whether it's Feruchemy or Hemalurgy makes a big difference there. I'm gonna vote Hemalurgy on that one.

"The first of those armies I promised you."  ...So awesome.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 08:06:21 AM »
Holy crap. Wow! I never stop saying "wow" with these sample chapters. Yeah, I will love this book.

Honestly, when Vin appeared... I was laughing like a giddy schoolboy it was so awesome.

And then an Inquisitor battle? Heck yes!

Phew...

I'm pumped.

There are so many interestingly awesome things in this. Let's see, where to begin?

Firstly, Rashek is the guy who is writing the epigraphs. Talking about anyone else at this point seems... silly.

Okay, Elend is awesome. Vin with Elend? Even better! Obviously, Elend's Allomancy is incredibly powerful because its "pure" Allomancy from the 15th metal. Vin actually compares his duralumin + zinc strength with the Lord Ruler's power. Now that's saying something!

I would assume that the thing that is controlling the koloss was Ruin, more or less than we already anticipated. He's certainly controlling lots of them, that's for sure.

As for the super-speed... I have no idea. Whether it's Feruchemy or Hemalurgy makes a big difference there. I'm gonna vote Hemalurgy on that one.

"The first of those armies I promised you."  ...So awesome.

Actually, I don't think Ruin controlled those Koloss.  It may have controlled the inquisitor who controlled said Koloss, though.  When the inquisitor died, Elend was finally able to take control of them all--so I'd assume that was it--especially since Vin mentioned that forcing control over some of the Koloss was just a way to make the Inquis reveal itself. 

Hemalurgy...I really wonder whats behind all of this.  That flash of speed was crazy sick on the inquisitors part.  Oh man. 

And Elend's alomancy...oof so freaking good!  I CAN'T WAIT!!! 

It's nearly two weeks!!!  raar
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 09:21:41 AM »
What an excellent read. I'm even more pumped up now.  ;)

The Inquisitor seemingly tapping into the Speed Force, Elend's uber Allomancy skills, Vin's rampage. Oohhh, goosebumps of anticipation!  ;D

Datakim

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 12:19:18 PM »
Cool chapter.

Though I wonder if I am the onlyone who is a little disappointed that Elend is so much stronger than Vin. Kinda makes her a little reduntant now that the thing that made her unique (her mistborn nature&great strength) is no longer that.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 03:41:17 PM »
But Vin is still far more skilled than Elend. That counts :P

Also I really liked the part with Electrum as "poor man's atium". That was great.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 03:55:24 PM »
-raises hand-

I totally called Elend being stronger than Vin!
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 04:46:06 PM »
Now we see why the Inquisitors took the Terris Keepers.  That Inquisitor used a combination of Pewter and Feruchemical speed.  Obviously, he didn't have a lot stored, or he would probably have stayed super fast long enough to ram the spike into Elend.  This also lays credence that Hemalurgy gives abilities of the one sacrificed.  This is how they got their Allomancy, and now they are getting Feruchemy as well.  The Inq's aren't playing around now, that's for sure.  Theory time:  Why would the Inq want to ram a spike into Elend instead of just killing him another way?  Me thinks he was trying to impale him with a spike that would allow Ruin to take over his mind.  Yet another thing to worry about. 

I don't think Elend being stronger than Vin makes her less of a character.  Raw strength isn't everything.  I bet she still whoops him when they spar.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 05:20:38 PM »
Now we see why the Inquisitors took the Terris Keepers.  That Inquisitor used a combination of Pewter and Feruchemical speed.  Obviously, he didn't have a lot stored, or he would probably have stayed super fast long enough to ram the spike into Elend.  This also lays credence that Hemalurgy gives abilities of the one sacrificed.  This is how they got their Allomancy, and now they are getting Feruchemy as well.  The Inq's aren't playing around now, that's for sure.  Theory time:  Why would the Inq want to ram a spike into Elend instead of just killing him another way?  Me thinks he was trying to impale him with a spike that would allow Ruin to take over his mind.  Yet another thing to worry about. 

I don't think Elend being stronger than Vin makes her less of a character.  Raw strength isn't everything.  I bet she still whoops him when they spar.

Wow, that is an interesting theory.  They, like you said, could also get stronger the more people they sacrifice...that's actually really freaking frightening.  "Hemalurgy was a messy art."

When Vin ripped off its robe and the steel plate was covering the spike, I literally had chills ripping my body into pieces.  I could see that smirk that was on the inquisitors face. 

-raises hand-

I totally called Elend being stronger than Vin!

Allomantically, sure.  Skills, not really.  Also, you have to remember that Vin is able to pull in the mists, and it's also possible that she's got Hemalurgy.  He did seem so lord ruler-ey ( ;D that's right, I went there) with his powers.  Him and Vin are def. gonna make one crazy baby.  :o
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 05:23:28 PM by Wielder »
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 07:14:14 PM »
Not to mention the fact that it started with, "Elend Venture, the second emperor of the Final Empire." :D

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 07:35:06 PM »
Same empire, different emperor  :)

Also I think he used feruchemy
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 07:37:50 PM »

I think this was my reaction the entire time I was reading it. So freaking awesome!!! Just fabulous... It's really probably a good thing that I was in a room by myself when I read it, because I was acting really silly.  ;D ;D ;D
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 08:29:35 PM »
OK, that was just awesome.

I'm glad to see Elend has stayed true to his core; chapter one had me wondering.  His actions with the townspeople probably saved as many of them as possible in the circumstances.  Without his leadership and Allomancy, they would have all died.  He was trying to take control of the Koloss, but because an inquisitor was controlling them, it took special circumstances to take control, and having the townpeople fight was crucial to getting the upper hand.

His actions seemed rash, but now that we get a feel for the kind of enemy that they are fighting, it was clearly the best he could do in difficult circumstances.

I agree that Elend has stronger Allomancy, but Vin has better training and control.  At the moment that means they complement each other, because as Kelsier said, Allomancy is nothing but tricks.  Timing is still critically important and Vin's fighting has an elegance that Elend still lacks.

Incidentally, I think it is safe to say that Ruin is controlling the Koloss, but it is doing it via the Inquisitors.  When the Inquisitor died, Elend was able to take over.  But man was that close.  And yeah, it seriously looked like the Inquisitor was using Feruchemy.  Man, but that is a scary thought.
Nature hates being reified.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 09:04:20 PM »
I'm a little worried about the Inquisitor's super speed.  This is a power we haven't seen Inquisitors exhibit before, although there have been several scenes (pretty much all the fight scenes) in which it would have been useful for them.  Thus I suspect that this super speed is something new, something they didn't have in TLR's time.

The super speed sounds like the Feruchemical speed that Sazed stored and used against Marsh.  It could be that the Inquisitors have learned how to acquire Feruchemy, probably through those nasty sacrifices of Keepers.  If so, I wonder why they never tried this before - TLR forbade it, not wanting them to mix the powers? Or they didn't know there were any Keepers left?  (This possibility is diminished by the fact that they encountered Sazed's special powers pretty early in MB1.)  Or they couldn't find any Keepers to sacrifice?  (In that case, what allowed them to find them now?)  Whatever the reason, if the Inquisitors have only recently been able to acquire Feruchemy, then there must be a non-Feruchemical explanation for their ability to heal rapidly, which they've been doing all along.

The other option I can think of is that super speed is some intrinsic characteristic of Hemalurgy - but again, if that's the case, why haven't they been using it in the first two books?  Anyone have a good explanation for this?
He ate my horse.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 09:15:23 PM »
I think you explained it yourself.  We see a Keeper being sacrificed to create a new Inquisitor, then two chapters later we see an Inquisitor (who Vin has never seen before) with a limited burst of super speed.  I am sure TLR forbade the use of Keepers as sacrifices, just as he forbade them from protecting their death spike.  It will be interesting to see if an Allomancer with enough strength could take control of an Inquisitor through soothing.  That could have been why TLR kept them so close.  He made sure to limit any other influences but his own.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.