Author Topic: Kwaan and the Inquistors  (Read 8637 times)

Elmandr

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Kwaan and the Inquistors
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2008, 08:00:19 AM »
they still had servants around...

Did they actually have servants or did they capture a bunch of skaa?

I think they were skaa, and i think that skaa can't read, so really they might have seen the etching but never could understand what it was they were looking at.

Quote from: elmandr1 on Yesterday at 09:48:21 PM
Quote from: Andrew the Great on Yesterday at 08:58:41 PM
Quote from: Czanos on Yesterday at 08:57:38 PM
I don't know, I just got the impression that the steel plate was kept in the cave. Something about how the architecture was so different from the rest of the Conventical. I mean, we know Kwaan wrote the steel plate in a cold cave, and when he wrote it that place would have been a cold cave. I see no reason for it to be moved, and several implications of it staying there.

Which is why I've always just thought what Ookla thought. There doesn't have to be a connection to the Inquisitors.

Always a skeptic...lol.

Can you think of any other reason for the Inquistors to have metal spikes?

I thought that TLR, after returning from the mountain, worried--and rightfully so--about the Ruin, and so when he found out about Kwaan's theory of metal and how it cannot be corrupted, he decided to create beings according to so...

Kwaan could be the designer, or very possibly the first inquistor.

This quote, I believe, is the most important one in the topic.

Inquisitors have metal spikes, naturally, because that's how Hemalurgy operates. However... this may not be what elmandr means here, but if you have a steel plate by your uncle who told you that the Hero of Ages wasn't really the Hero and that he needed to be killed, then you build a temple around the steel plate (or put the steel plate in a temple, whatever. Not important) and said steel plate "I write these words in steel, for anything not set in metal cannot be trusted."

Then we have the "Steel Ministry", "Steel Inquisitors". Those first words on the steel plate sound a lot like a basis for a religion. Kwaan may not necessarily be an Inquisitor, but the point is that the steel plate provided Rashek a motivation for his religion, being obsessed with metals and steel. I don't know, maybe he thought it would preserve truth better that way. Maybe the Ministry structures are actually made of metal for this end, but I could be misremembering. Before MB3 comes out, I will do my third read-through of MB1 and 2 to make sure everything is right in my head.

True, so we continue. To answer your question we must essentially answer what it was the inquistors actually did for TLR, and even the obligators. Figuring this out will ultimately lead to the answer of why they were made, and thus there origin.
"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2008, 08:21:02 AM »
Besides, I think having the steel etching in the back of the steel canticle is basically as good as having it in a vault. Probably better. It'd be suicide to try and sneak in there; the only reason Marsh and Sazed got in was because it was deserted.

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2008, 08:40:02 AM »
Besides, I think having the steel etching in the back of the steel canticle is basically as good as having it in a vault. Probably better. It'd be suicide to try and sneak in there; the only reason Marsh and Sazed got in was because it was deserted.

You make a good point. Why have the deserted the Stronghold? Was it because they suspect a great change to occur, or was it because they never really wanted to stay there--only doing to to abide by TLR's commands.

The latter would suggest that the etchings meant nothing to the Inquistors but to TLR. Which switches up the role of Kwaan with the Inquistors some--but ut essentially stays the same.
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2008, 05:18:14 PM »
Also, the etching was in the ancient Terris language. Very, very few people could even read it, and Sazed was one of them.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Qarlin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2008, 06:17:49 PM »
Also, the etching was in the ancient Terris language. Very, very few people could even read it, and Sazed was one of them.
So it's very likely that the current Inqs couldn't even read it, but the original ones could. Maybe...

Who were the original Inquisitors? If allomancy was given to the people who helped him, who would he make to effectively police these "friends?"

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2008, 06:49:11 PM »
I would guess that the choice was not that significant. I mean if TLR had use of hermology then he probably had the ability to control the inquisitors mush like Ruin. This isn't saying that he didn't hand pick the original inquisitors for reason only he would know but I'm just saying it might not have ment too much who he picked.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2008, 07:09:15 PM »
"Hemalurgy", GreenMonsta. Hemalurgy is the right term :P
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Qarlin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2008, 07:16:04 PM »
If TLR could control the Inquisitors like Ruin, then Marsh wouldn't have even been able to try to kill him, or rebel at all.

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2008, 09:31:23 PM »
If TLR could control the Inquisitors like Ruin, then Marsh wouldn't have even been able to try to kill him, or rebel at all.

I don't think so, i think that Marsh is in a "Man Vs himself" state, where he is having an eternal struggle between the good within him vs the Ruin that is holding him.

I do think that TLR could control the Inquistors with the power he bore, but since the Ruin now is the holder of the power...

Who  sent Rashek to kill or send Alendi astray on the initial trip to the mountain top...I think that guy would be somebody he would trust and.

Another thing.

If Kwaan fled from the Terris people after denouncing Alendi, where did he run to?

Also, after he found out that the religion that he devoutly followed before had been corrupted. i would imagine that he commited himself to rewriting the truth. Thus the Inquistor religion was born.
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2008, 09:54:38 PM »
Hem. . .   al . . .  ur. . .  Ahh forget it. I don' think i'll remember anyway.

sporkify

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2008, 10:08:54 PM »
Here's something I've been wondering: Why didn't Ruin re-toggle Sazed's papers?  Because the etchings were different from the steel plates, Sazed was able to determine that Ruin could modify documents not in metal.  You'd think that either Ruin would switch it back to confuse Sazed/make him think the problem was on his end.  Perhaps Ruin has a limit to what it can do/how frequently it can rewrite things.
Gorram Frakking Woolhead!

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2008, 10:28:58 PM »
Oh I'm sure there are limitations. But I thought that at the end of the second book when Sazed goes back to the inquisitors palace he realized that the tablet did change. There was more writing then there was the first time. idk I guess I'll have to re-read that part.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2008, 12:15:04 AM »
He realizes that the writing on the plate was different than what he had in his metal mind and on the rubbing. Not quite the same....
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2008, 02:55:00 AM »
He realizes that the writing on the plate was different than what he had in his metal mind and on the rubbing. Not quite the same....

I thought that Kwaan says something about the Ruin being able to change information on paper as well as those stored in the metal minds??? I should go back and make sure though.

However, Does hemulurgy(i think is spelled it wrong) grant the person who undergoes it allomantic powers? It does, i mean it must. Marsh confirms that. So hemulurgy, that metal Vin finds in the end of the second book, and TLR, those are the three ways...

The more i look into this, the easier it is to believe that Allomancy was around before TLR's time...

Kwaan could have hemulurged himself(lol im ravaging the word)in fear of the Ruin altering what he knew...
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2008, 03:27:54 AM »

I thought that Kwaan says something about the Ruin being able to change information on paper as well as those stored in the metal minds??? I should go back and make sure though.

Ruin can change information on paper, as well as in metalminds. This is why the steel plate remains the same, while the rubbing (and metalmind rubbing) and the translations are changed.

However, Does hemulurgy(i think is spelled it wrong) grant the person who undergoes it allomantic powers? It does, i mean it must. Marsh confirms that. So hemulurgy, that metal Vin finds in the end of the second book, and TLR, those are the three ways...

Where'd you get the idea that it must grant allomantic abilities? It's just as plausible that the Inquisitors eat Elend's metal and get allomancy from there. We do, however, know that inquisitors do use allomancy.

And it's hemalurgy. So you were close, but not quite.

Kwaan could have hemulurged himself(lol im ravaging the word)in fear of the Ruin altering what he knew...

The word you are looking for here is "hemalurgified." Also, he wouldn't have done that unless he thought it would prevent Ruin from altering what he knew. There are two options here. Either a) hemalurgy was already around, in which case Kwaan would likely know that becoming a hemalurgist wouldn't help him, or b) hemalurgy wasn't already around, and Kwaan wouldn't know enough about it to risk it unless he was desperate and had some idea of what it might do (or thought he did). But it's a good thought.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence