Author Topic: Kwaan and the Inquistors  (Read 8676 times)

VegasDev

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Kwaan and the Inquistors
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2008, 07:49:44 AM »
SO you would rather believe that Kwaan found a random open place, where there happened to be a slate of metal on a wall of earth, wrote his prophecy there...and then there was a stronghold? If i was going to write something as powerful as that i would be sure to find a secure, and safe place to hide it.

So you would rather believe that Kwaan was the first inquisitor because his steel plate was found in their stronghold? Is it possible that they found it in a cave and rather than expose it to the elements which would surely rust it out in over 1000 years, they just built a stronghold around it? Sometimes the most secure location is the one that no one knows about; kind of like these caves on the shores of the dead sea.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Elmandr

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 08:03:39 AM »
SO you would rather believe that Kwaan found a random open place, where there happened to be a slate of metal on a wall of earth, wrote his prophecy there...and then there was a stronghold? If i was going to write something as powerful as that i would be sure to find a secure, and safe place to hide it.

So you would rather believe that Kwaan was the first inquisitor because his steel plate was found in their stronghold? Is it possible that they found it in a cave and rather than expose it to the elements which would surely rust it out in over 1000 years, they just built a stronghold around it? Sometimes the most secure location is the one that no one knows about; kind of like these caves on the shores of the dead sea.

Explain then, since you are so thoroughly convinced that Kwaan wasn't the start of the Inquistors, what was?

P.S I'm not commited to anything, had you agreed with the theory i would have strayed from it--it helps to find the truth. ;D.

"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2008, 12:56:08 PM »
Here's the thing, If the inquisitors lets say just found this steel plate in the middle of no where why would they build something around it to protect it. This plate had a connection to TLR and TLR had no reason to leave it there at all why not just destroy it? What is the importance of such a slab that a stronghold needs to be built? idk, I just feel that there is evidence enough to suggest a connection of some sort between Kwaan and the Inquisitors.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2008, 01:29:17 PM »
Here's the thing, If the inquisitors lets say just found this steel plate in the middle of no where why would they build something around it to protect it. This plate had a connection to TLR and TLR had no reason to leave it there at all why not just destroy it? What is the importance of such a slab that a stronghold needs to be built? idk, I just feel that there is evidence enough to suggest a connection of some sort between Kwaan and the Inquisitors.

I suspect the same, though suspicion is not enough to go on--despite what vin might say. Kwaan was around before the Inquistors. so it is very likely that he designed them, became one, or the former. Choose the one or two, or another theory that you like. I only ask that you bring evidence and or reasoning to back your case.

State facts; quotes, salvaged clues spread throughout the epic. Prove your case, or atleast justify your argument.
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2008, 01:41:50 PM »
At this point its pure speculation, I have found that a lot of the good theorizing that goes on here is often brought out by pure and simple speculation. Once a good theory is formed then it is time to go investigate. Why would I spend the time looking into it if I posted an idea and someone told me I was "wrong and here's why" right off the bat. I like to test ideas off of the other posters first. Plus that gives others the chance to think about the idea and investigate for themselves giving alternate perspectives on the same idea.

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2008, 04:19:20 PM »
I only ask that you bring evidence and or reasoning to back your case.

I have seen several of your theories and the problem is that they often leave out more facts than they present.

Perhaps Inquisitors were around longer than we think. Alendi wore the piercings of the hero, which sounds alot like an Inquisitor. The only supporting evidence that you have that Kwaan has any sort of ties to the Inquisitors is that his plate was at their stronghold. Their entire stronghold was built of steel plates, does that mean that it's just one big diary, that anyone can go there and etch their life's journey on it's walls?

I said it is just as likely that the plates were just found and moved there, which doesn't require any evidence but I provided some anyway. The dead sea scrolls are some of the most important writingswe have today and it was just found in a cave. Joseph Smith reportedly found the golden plates, the cornerstone of the Mormon religion, in a buried box.
moustaches on the other.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2008, 04:25:28 PM »
I agree that there is enough evidence to prove this theory either way.

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2008, 04:28:41 PM »
At this point its pure speculation, I have found that a lot of the good theorizing that goes on here is often brought out by pure and simple speculation. Once a good theory is formed then it is time to go investigate. Why would I spend the time looking into it if I posted an idea and someone told me I was "wrong and here's why" right off the bat. I like to test ideas off of the other posters first. Plus that gives others the chance to think about the idea and investigate for themselves giving alternate perspectives on the same idea.

Ehm. i didn't say you were wrong, i just find it difficult to accept a rejection to a theory unless the reject or or debater presented some sort of explanation.

From what i understand, you want to counter for the sake of? huh? i don't mean to offend you. Really. I'm all for hearing all kinds of theories, and though it may not seem so but i have been researching everything you and i have discussed in this and other threads. When you can prove otherwise or i can find reason to stray from this theory, i will update and present it.

when people are speculating you need to test their theories with the straight forward question, the obvious. If it can survive that, then it can be deem meritable. Other wise its just another thought.

Listen to yourself. You say their just speculation but defend them like their religion. I don't deny being wrong when i am so. Really. However, i expect you and myself to present topics and theories that you've at least thought some about--it helps to wash out all the unnecessary posts.
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2008, 05:02:01 PM »
Ahh I see. I don't take offense, trust me this is what these forums are for. I don't want to counter your idea for the sake of countering it. I only do so because I was stating what I think. The thing about you researching and then developing a theory is good. I enjoy it when a poster has an informed decision. A lot of my posts and ideas are based off of ideas and past posts. Your right, a lot of the time I don't provide back up to my ideas but does it make it wrong to post my ideas. All im doing is letting you know what I think and you can take it for what it is. I didn't say you were wrong I just said I don't think your right and this is what I think. Any further questions should be taken to PM so we can spare this thread and others from filling with trash. Nothing against you, you do work on your ideas, I on the other hand do less re-reading and more straight theorising from what I think I know so in reality I have more of a chance of being wrong than you.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2008, 06:17:28 PM »
I don't know, I just got the impression that the steel plate was kept in the cave. Something about how the architecture was so different from the rest of the Conventical. I mean, we know Kwaan wrote the steel plate in a cold cave, and when he wrote it that place would have been a cold cave. I see no reason for it to be moved, and several implications of it staying there.

Which is why I've always just thought what Ookla thought. There doesn't have to be a connection to the Inquisitors.

Always a skeptic...lol.

Can you think of any other reason for the Inquistors to have metal spikes?

I thought that TLR, after returning from the mountain, worried--and rightfully so--about the Ruin, and so when he found out about Kwaan's theory of metal and how it cannot be corrupted, he decided to create beings according to so...

Kwaan could be the designer, or very possibly the first inquistor.

This quote, I believe, is the most important one in the topic.

Inquisitors have metal spikes, naturally, because that's how Hemalurgy operates. However... this may not be what elmandr means here, but if you have a steel plate by your uncle who told you that the Hero of Ages wasn't really the Hero and that he needed to be killed, then you build a temple around the steel plate (or put the steel plate in a temple, whatever. Not important) and said steel plate "I write these words in steel, for anything not set in metal cannot be trusted."

Then we have the "Steel Ministry", "Steel Inquisitors". Those first words on the steel plate sound a lot like a basis for a religion. Kwaan may not necessarily be an Inquisitor, but the point is that the steel plate provided Rashek a motivation for his religion, being obsessed with metals and steel. I don't know, maybe he thought it would preserve truth better that way. Maybe the Ministry structures are actually made of metal for this end, but I could be misremembering. Before MB3 comes out, I will do my third read-through of MB1 and 2 to make sure everything is right in my head.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2008, 06:43:54 PM »
I think the ministry canticle was built around that steel etching because it contained the truth. And if you control the truth, you'll want to keep it locked away. But it's still important to know the truth, even if you're the one misleading everyone else. Know the rules so you can break them. That kind of thing.

That's my take on it.

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2008, 07:11:31 PM »
I think the ministry canticle was built around that steel etching because it contained the truth. And if you control the truth, you'll want to keep it locked away. But it's still important to know the truth, even if you're the one misleading everyone else. Know the rules so you can break them. That kind of thing.

That's my take on it.

I think that's a fair assumption and the most plausible with what little information we do know.
moustaches on the other.

sporkify

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2008, 09:30:28 PM »
Well, there is the slight issue of the steel plates being on display.  You'd think they'd hide it by keeping it in some vault or something, rather than putting it up for people to see.  And yes, while this was an Inquisitor stronghold, they still had servants around...
Gorram Frakking Woolhead!

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2008, 09:44:29 PM »
they still had servants around...

Did they actually have servants or did they capture a bunch of skaa?
moustaches on the other.

bhthomas

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2008, 03:35:18 AM »
I think that the steel plates were only something Inquisitors were allowed to know about and any servants they had were live in so as not to blab about anything they saw there.