Author Topic: review: Victory of Eagles  (Read 5375 times)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
Re: review: Victory of Eagles
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 05:42:27 PM »
This was my favorite Temeraire book since the first one. I'm glad that Novik decided to split from real history. One of my biggest problems with Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel was that even though magic suddenly appeared, history continued on almost exactly as it did in the real world.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: review: Victory of Eagles
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 06:24:56 PM »
The problem with that is that dragons have been around forever, yet European society developed in almost exactly the same way ours did. That should give you at least as many complaints as Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrel.

Outside of Europe, things are rather different, of course. When will we see the Incas? Africa and China already turned out much more formidable.

Anyway, I'm just accepting that somehow European history turned out the same.

The first book is actually my least favorite, since it was so predictable and conventional. The villain in book 2 was too predictable, but other than that, all the later books have been refreshing. I wonder if this series will go on as long as the Aubrey/Maturin series. :)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!