Author Topic: The Heroic Debates  (Read 3363 times)

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
The Heroic Debates
« on: September 16, 2008, 03:03:42 AM »
In light of recent competition for the position of Hero of Ages, I feel that it is my duty to start this discussion. After all, how can a man (or woman, for that matter. I just say man because I am male, and Chaos is male, so we don't have any female runners) rule a nation after being democratically elected when he does not know what the people he is to rule wish him to do for their nation? And so it is that I open this thread.

First of all, this is not the place for endorsements. That should be done here.

That being said, if you have any questions that you would like the candidates, Chaos and myself, to answer, this is the place to do it.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: The Heroic Debates
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 03:10:47 AM »
Would it be wise to purchase parachute pants?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 03:21:40 AM »
What do you mean purchase? Dont you own a pair?
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 03:28:17 AM »
I meant another pair. Would it be wise?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 03:33:15 AM »
Would it be wise to purchase parachute pants?

If you have made the grave mistake of not yet purchasing a pair, it would be exceedingly wise of you to follow this course. You may find yourself in need of them in the days to come. Store them in a warm, dry place, and clean them often (dry clean only). If you do these things, they will serve you well. Should it happen that you die before the opportunity is presented to use them, you should entrust them only to the closest of friends or relatives, so that they may survive.

Besides, who doesn't want a pair of parachute pants? No one? That's what I thought.

PS: The brighter the color of the fabric, the more effective they will be. Bright Pinks and Oranges are especially effective. However, if you do choose this path, and survive to tell us about it, you must post pictures or be cursed for all eternity. I can only hope that my insights have been helpful to your decision.

Edit: Forgive me, you posted as I was typing. Yes, it would be wise to purchase another pair. That way, if you somehow let your first fall into a state of disrepair, you have a backup. Also, if your first pair is not pink or orange, I would highly recommend that this pair be one of those colors.

Edit 2: In a valiant effort to follow forum guidelines, I am avoiding double posting, and thus we have a double edit instead. I am continuing here the discussion based on Czanos' concerns regarding the situation of my nature and whether or not I am a Kandra. I am not a Kandra. If you can think of a way for me to prove it outside of using allomancy, I will. This does not extend, however, to solutions such as dumping large quantities of sulfuric acid all over myself. I do want to be at my full strength for certain....future...events that I am not authorized to speak of. But if you think of anything, let me know.

Besides, even if I were a kandra, would that be a problem? You can't seriously tell me after reading TenSoon's sample chapter in Hero of Ages that Kandra aren't awesome. 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 05:29:16 AM by Andrew the Great »
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 05:36:37 AM »
Ookla, my friend, do what brings you joy. In these trialed times, we cannot elect a man who could have say over what you can wear or what you can't. If parachute pants bring you joy, then for the sake of humanity, no one should stand in the way.

I would like to pose a question to this enlightened audience, by citing something my opponent said in the election topic.

Quote from: My Opponent
I would also like to point out that Chaos recently gave up his Biochromatic Breath to Brenna in the new mod thread. He also swore fealty to her. These are obviously unacceptable things for anyone claiming to be the Hero of Ages to do.

Is it not honorable these days to respect thy elders, and respect the rule by law? From my opponent's statement, clearly, it is better to run amok causing chaos and destruction--that is, change for the bad. Funny, considering how much he preaches against it.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 05:44:58 AM »
But this is not what I meant at all! See how my opponent deviously twists my words to suit his dire purposes! I, in my wisdom, suggested the path that I felt would bring Ookla the most joy. In so doing, I became infinitely more helpful, though the decision is, of course, ultimately up to him. Should he eventually feel he disagrees with me, that is his opinion. He asked for an opinion on the matter, and I expressed my thoughts truthfully and clearly. My opponent, on the other hand, hides his answer behind cryptic statements intended to leave Ookla exactly where he started: Wondering just where does Chaos stand on this issue?

It is, of course, honorable to respect thine elders, and law. But the Hero of Ages is to be the One who leads the world out of crisis. It is not acceptable for the world to see the hero as no more than a puppet, else the one pulling the strings would truly be the hero in their eyes, and Hero of Ages becomes no more than a title. I simply ask, for the sake of humanity, that the general populace take this respect for the title of Hero of Ages into consideration when they cast their vote for their candidate of choice.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 05:58:21 AM »
As one without parachute pants, I felt that it would be wrong for me to grant an opinion that I had little to no knowledge about. The human soul is something we must protect, and for the choices one must make, too. I would not violate or disrupt a choice with my interruption. It is too sacred to me.

If you vilify me for that, then so be it.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 06:40:50 AM »
Under what circumstances should I begin to believe the piece of obsidian I found when i was six has magical powers?
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 06:58:00 AM »
Under what circumstances should I begin to believe the piece of obsidian I found when i was six has magical powers?

I define magic to be a change without a physical impetus--in other words, the magic affects the world by non-physical means, similar to a supernatural force. So, when the piece of obsidian begins to alter things (this could be anything from bringing luck, moving objects, or warping space-time) without a clear physical impetus, then I would believe your piece of obsidian has magical powers.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 09:05:43 PM »
How are we expected to put our faith in an "Incarcerated Street Brawler" as Chaos's title would suggest? Would you not rather put your faith in a "Scholar" like his opponent's title would suggest?

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 09:18:09 PM »
This is a most interesting debate.  Rarely is it run where the supporters are debating more than the candidates.  Maybe it should be this way all the time.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 10:27:50 PM »
How are we expected to put our faith in an "Incarcerated Street Brawler" as Chaos's title would suggest? Would you not rather put your faith in a "Scholar" like his opponent's title would suggest?

These titles, like most all on TWG, are wholly meaningless to who we are. The only true title here is the Hero of Ages.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 10:44:10 PM »
Agreed, just attempting to slow the pace a little with some humor.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 11:36:23 PM »
Agreed, just attempting to slow the pace a little with some humor.

Humor?  Sir, I must most assuredly inform you that there is nothing funny about who we select to be the Hero of Ages.  Indeed, a most dignified and restrained discussion, focused on the current difficulties at hand and ignoring irrelevancies, is imperative to surmounting our current difficulties in order to not simply overcome those obstacles which beset us at every hand, but indeed to become stronger and thrive, enjoying our new world in peace and prosperity and preparing it for those who will be lucky enough to follow in our footsteps in the fullness of time.

In such circumstances, all discussions must be focused and to the point.  It would, for instance, be totally inappropriate to allege that Chaos2651 likes to lick baby frogs, even if one had evidence to support such a ghastly, heinous pastime, such as accidentally seeing him do it while perambulating unobserved amongst foliage, and all considerations of how he would use the power given this odd fetish are irrelevant.   Similarly, one would be advised to suppress the fact that Andrew the Great noisily chews his ice after finishing a cup of water, no matter how much one would avoid having an eternity filled with the sound of mandatory loud ice-chewing.

Thus, dear Sir, I cannot say how deeply I am offended that you think any of this is funny.  Contrary to my name, I am a most serious person.
Nature hates being reified.