Author Topic: The Heroic Debates  (Read 3361 times)

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
Re: The Heroic Debates
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 02:28:13 AM »
I would begin to suspect, miyabi, that your obsidian is magical if and only if when it is near, things happen that are inexplicable when following known rules of physics. If this is the case, I would advise you to observe closely the effects the obsidian has. Should they be positive, guard it an treasure it. Should they be negative, throw it in a river or give it to an enemy. Throwing it in the river would, of course, be the more noble course, and the one I advocate, but should you feel that it is necessary...

I would also like to here take the time to answer a question earlier posed to me. Something to the effect of "If you were chosen as the hero of ages, what type of government would you have after everything is stable?" That is not an exact quote, but I believe I got the meaning right. (Correct me if I am wrong).

In answer to this question, I would not have a government after everything is stable. Should the deepness be defeated and the world settle down (as it will), I will either be dead, having given my life as a sacrifice to save the world, or (obviously) alive. If I am alive, I will be a hero for what I have done in saving the world, and as such will command much more power than any governor should. I will kindly ask that a different government be instituted. I will then offer the governing body/person my support and counsel should they require it. If they do, great. If not, I shall live a quiet life in the country, trying in small ways to make the world a better place. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 02:33:22 AM by Andrew the Great »
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 04:48:27 AM »
I wish to express my deepest apologies for double posting, but I wanted to make sure this was noticed:

Chaos is now a jailbird. How can we support anyone as the hero of ages who will not even support the law now?
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 05:24:30 AM »
Perhaps Chaos was wrongfully imprisoned in an attempt to smear his name?

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008, 06:06:51 AM »
Yes, I'm sure carefully working out the intricate details of the new established order would be the thing we certainly wouldn't want to do. We wouldn't want to plan ahead. It's not like the fate of the world is at stake.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

bhthomas

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 07:04:05 PM »
I think the question every one wants answered is whats your stance on Campaign finance reform.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 11:28:31 PM »
So, the government after I save the world, huh? Well, I can't answer unless we assume I am alive, so for the sake of the question, I will assume I live to see this new government come into place.

This government will have two integral pieces. But first, before we begin to describe these things, there will be a Bill of Rights with certain inalienable rights that no one can trample upon. Secondly, this government is not an empire. The world is too big to be under the hands of one central authority. We will have firm sense of federalism. Federalism, for those of you don't know, is actually TWO sets of governments: you have the federal government and provincial/state governments running concurrently. In my government, however, the federal government will have the ability to override state governments in certain cases--thus, as we learned from the Civil War, the notion of "states' rights" does not make a stable government, so the central government's authority supersedes the states'.

The provincial governments shall be autonomous in nature. They can rule themselves however they see fit, be it a democracy or a monarchy. However, it is the federal government's duty to make sure no person's rights are infringed upon (spelled out in the Bill of Rights), no matter what kind of government a province has. For example, if a province's king--if it decided to be a monarchy--would not be allowed to commit genocide, and thus, the federal government would be obligated to move forward.

Provinces can have their own army. Ideally, this entire form of government would exist for centuries (maybe millennia), and it foolish that there would not be war in a Global Government. If provinces have disputes and they resolve to wage war, then they could. Government should not freeze into one particular state, for that would bring about its eventual destruction. A government must accept change as a very real force, as I do.

The federal government would be somewhat detached in this manner. All provinces are obligated to share a portion of their taxes to the federal government, to be determined by the first essential body for the federal and world government, The Council of Justice. Every province must provide a Judge to the Council--it is their voice on the world scale. Such a person can be appointed however the province sees fit, but some guidelines must be observed. The Judge must be versed in law and swear to the Hero of Ages to uphold justice and the world.

The Council is somewhat similar to a hybrid Supreme Court and Congress, though more a Supreme Court than a Congress. The Council hears disputes from citizens from different provinces, and has the final say in what is law and what is not. Unlike our current Supreme Court, federal laws must be approved by the Council before being enacted into law (unlike the current system where there must be a case and it can take a long time before an unlawful law is struck down).

The Council decides how to use its revenue, gathered by provincial governments.

They do not explicitly "create" law. The executive and/or legislative authority is vested into a body as 3/4ths of the provinces see fit. This can take many forms, such as a monarch or a Congress. However, I, as the Hero of Ages, prefer a Philosopher King approach. These kings would have decades of training in all manners of subjects, such as law, warfare, politics, mathematics, and science, much how Socrates described (see Plato's Republic, Book 7). Any person can go to the academy to be trained to be a philosopher king, but there are many stages of the process, and if you fail one stage, you cannot continue forth. Ideally, after the training is done, there would be a set of candidates for the Council of Justice to choose from. A Philosopher King does not rule his or her entire life, but rather for a term of ten years. After that, they must retire from political life entirely.

The Council chooses among the candidates who shall be king. A Judge can make his own opinion, or if his/her province is especially democratic, the province can compel the Judge to vote by the majority of the provincial citizens decide (note: this is similar to how the Electoral College works, only each province gets a single elector).

Once the King is chosen, he holds Executive authority and half of the Legislative authority. As a chief executive, he has powers similar to the President of the US. As a legislative body, he creates edicts. These edicts go into two varieties: binding and unbinding. Since the philosopher king must be inherently competent to become one, it is wise for citizens to follow his edicts even if they are unbinding--that is, not having the force of law. Unbinding edicts are like guidelines: wise to follow, but not steadfast.

All of the King's edicts still go to the Council of Justice, where the Judges determine if the edict should explicitly become law (a binding edict), if it can serve as a mere guideline, or should be struck down entirely. The King has the executive authority only as the Council gives it to him. The King's army, appropriated by the tax revenue the Council receives, cannot invade a province without the Council's explicit approval. An invasion, of course, would only be warranted if the government of said province was clearly defying the Bill of Rights.

So, those are the two primary branches of government. If the provinces do not like the idea of a King, they can form a different body which would serve a similar lawmaking function, as long as 3/4ths of the provinces ratify it.

However, there is one more government branch: my branch. As Hero of Ages, I have too much power to rule as a Philosopher King myself, nor could I be a Judge. I hold very little authority on day to day matters in government, for the betterment of the world. In the day to day matters of government, I only hold one function, and that is to hear petitions against the ruling bodies of the federal government. If a Judge is breaking the law, or a King has gone too power-hungry beyond the Council's control, I hear these petitions and make a ruling from there. My judgments have the force of law.

There is only one other function, one so dire that it requires my direct rule. It is... The Alien Contingency. If, for some unforeseen reason, there is another force in the world or from other worlds which invade us, I have the authority to organize an army and do anything and all things necessary to protect the citizens from the invaders.

So, there you have it. The Government of Ages, with a contingency in case aliens attack the world. That's certainly a new idea right there...

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2008, 11:33:20 PM »
I feel that there is something wrong with the concept of "unalienable rights" and the way they are generally written.  When written as "you have the right of this and that" you are also, even if unintentionally, saying that those are the ONLY rights you are guaranteed.

We have seen this happen MULTIPLE times throughout the history of the U.S.  I propose that in writing the "unalienable rights"  you right them in a manner that says "no one can take any rights from you unless you first infringe upon the following rights of another person," making sure to note that these aren't the only rights, just the more prime examples.  So in essence the ONLY right you are taking is their "right" to take away someone else's right.  This will create a much better onset that will protect people's rights better than other systems.

EDIT:  Aside from this one section I wholeheartedly agree with your platform.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 11:35:27 PM by miyabi »
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 11:35:58 PM »
Quite true. The Council of Justice can explicate this in great detail which rights can be added to the Bill of Rights.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2008, 12:20:26 AM »
This government will have two integral pieces. But first, before we begin to describe these things, there will be a Bill of Rights with certain inalienable rights that no one can trample upon. Secondly, this government is not an empire. The world is too big to be under the hands of one central authority. We will have firm sense of federalism. Federalism, for those of you don't know, is actually TWO sets of governments: you have the federal government and provincial/state governments running concurrently. In my government, however, the federal government will have the ability to override state governments in certain cases--thus, as we learned from the Civil War, the notion of "states' rights" does not make a stable government, so the central government's authority supersedes the states'.

What's a state? I've never heard of such a thing before. And what Civil War are you talking about? We've never had one here in Hamland that taught us such a thing, that I can recall.

The Council is somewhat similar to a hybrid Supreme Court and Congress, though more a Supreme Court than a Congress. The Council hears disputes from citizens from different provinces, and has the final say in what is law and what is not. Unlike our current Supreme Court, federal laws must be approved by the Council before being enacted into law (unlike the current system where there must be a case and it can take a long time before an unlawful law is struck down).

What is a Congress? Is that some type of Council thing? I'm sorry, but I'm forced to assume here that my opponent is making up terms in the hope of looking more intelligent.

And what current Supreme Court are you talking about? And we have a system where a law (apparently made by the Supreme Court, not the Emperor) can be struck down? Without the approval of the Emperor? What are you talking about?

I've searched everywhere I can think of for a Book titled Republic by someone named Plato, but I'm forced to conclude that my opponent has invented this resource as a way to lend credibility to his deceit.

Could you define Electoral College?

What is the President of the US?

As you can all see, my opponent is delusional and is inventing things to try to confuse you and lend credibility that doesn't exist to himself.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2008, 01:15:57 AM »
What happens when you die? Surely you aren"t arrogant enough to think that you will live forever. cough*cough TLR *cough*cough. Oh no of course not. So who take over for you when you die and how is this person selected. I mean someone has to hold your important position when your gone or does it dissolve? Because if it dissolves then what happend to your government of ages?
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2008, 02:48:20 AM »
As HOA would you rebuild Luthedal? Continue the distribution of the Atium? Marry Vin? What religion would you make the official one of the city-state? What form of government would you have? Where would you send the surviving Koloss? would you set the Kandra free? If so, would you let them intergrate with the rest of man kind?

but most importantly...what character would you create yourself as in WWC, or Oblivion?

This says alot about a person, it really does.
"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2008, 02:54:29 AM »
What is WWC or Oblivion?
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2008, 06:41:08 PM »
They're RPG Video Games.  I would comment on what Chaos said, but it was just too long to read.  You are certainly long winded enough to be a politician, Chaos. 
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.