Author Topic: How you handle WRITER'S BLOCK!  (Read 8895 times)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: How you handle WRITER'S BLOCK!
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 08:55:47 PM »
I also just realized another way I use all the time. As long as you know basically what you want to accomplish in the scene you are stuck on it works great. Just switch the Point of View! One time I literally started the chapter with a POV from a plain, ordinary snake and it worked great.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Dangerbutton

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 06:16:02 PM »
Really, just randomly writing seems to do well, too. I've found that it doesn't seem to be that important what it is. Sometimes I'll write about an idea I've got, but other times I just write down my random trains of thought. I've also found that writing down a conversation with myself about what I should do with my writing, it works. I dunno... just put a pen on paper... or uh, a finger on a keyboard?... and you're good.

Dangerbutton

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 06:16:49 PM »
And, uh, I've never tried this, but I imagine that a mystical adventure through Narnia would get you some ideas, too. :)

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2008, 07:35:03 AM »
And, uh, I've never tried this, but I imagine that a mystical adventure through Narnia would get you some ideas, too. :)

:'(

you double posted...

thats a no, no.

I'm not sure if you know, but thats shunned upon round these parts...

if you wanted to add something you could just modify the first post ;D

and yeah, narnia does stimu..la...t...*head falls, and begins to snore obnoxiously*
"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2008, 06:50:50 PM »
How you handle WRITER'S BLOCK!

*sigh* I stop writing. That's how I handle it....poorly. :D

I'm in another slump right now. What usually works to get me out is writing flash fiction (200 words or less) or focussing on a different story. Sadly, lately I just haven't felt in the mood to try either....

Maybe this weekend I can kick the block between GC sessions....
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2008, 08:31:52 PM »

you double posted...

thats a no, no.

and yeah, narnia does stimu..la...t...*head falls, and begins to snore obnoxiously*

Lol I think I double posted too, its just nobody noticed because it was on a new page  :-[ (phew)

Also correct me if I am wrong but I think Danger was likely referring to the books...I heard the movie was a nodder tho
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2008, 09:33:58 PM »

you double posted...

thats a no, no.

Lol I think I double posted too, its just nobody noticed because it was on a new page  :-[ (phew)

Also correct me if I am wrong but I think Danger was likely referring to the books...I heard the movie was a nodder tho

So you confess your sins, and return to the Salvation of the Forum? Wait, don't answer that, you might lie...i have another way to find that out...

I must tie you up and toss you into this river, if you float then i will stone you, if you drown then you are saved...

Float because it was believed the water was pure and anything that it rejected (floated) was corrupted...

so pick your choice, drown or stoned? ;D
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2008, 11:16:42 PM »
Uh, exactly what ancient law are you even referencing?

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2008, 03:28:01 AM »
Uh, exactly what ancient law are you even referencing?

Are you questioning THEE ancient law?

:o, now we tie you up and feed you to the pigeons--they eat real slow.

on a serious note, the Salem witch trials of Massachusetts--thats where the first form of torture happened most recently--or atleast as far as we know...
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Silenced Parrot

• Level 3
  • You spilled my egg, I needed that egg. -Spike
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2008, 10:12:35 AM »
Well, this is lovely. I've been trudging along with my story, writing away like the happy little camper that I am, and tonight I go to continue my work and.... bleh. It's not that I'm having a severe case of writers block, my quality has just dipped to a point where revision couldn't even save it.

Back to Warhammer: Online. Maybe I can get some work done tomorrow, and revise a good chunk of what I have.

._. Or maybe I can solve it by the "stoned" method posted above.

(Yes, I realize it's a different type of stoned. I just have a lame sense of humor that I feel I have to explain because I'm fairly new to these forums. Yay.)
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

George Carlin (RIP)

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2008, 09:42:20 PM »
Well, this is lovely. I've been trudging along with my story, writing away like the happy little camper that I am, and tonight I go to continue my work and.... bleh. It's not that I'm having a severe case of writers block, my quality has just dipped to a point where revision couldn't even save it.

Back to Warhammer: Online. Maybe I can get some work done tomorrow, and revise a good chunk of what I have.

._. Or maybe I can solve it by the "stoned" method posted above.

(Yes, I realize it's a different type of stoned. I just have a lame sense of humor that I feel I have to explain because I'm fairly new to these forums. Yay.)

STONED! ahh, maybe thats what people meant in the olden days--lets go stone somebody...lol, just so their parents wont find out!!!!
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2009, 08:10:43 PM »
This may sound rather childish, but I have found it to be helpful when I have writer's block. Depending on what you're writing, different items will be substituted (I write mostly fantasy, with swords/armor/stuff-like-that), but this is the basics: When I have writer's block, I look at things that could be common items in my story: (for me,) swords, arrows, magical pieces?.oftentimes, my mind will start working on a story or scene just by looking at these items and thinking about them.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2009, 08:25:27 PM »
Sometimes if I'm having trouble, I'll go play the guitar for a while. Or go read someone else's book (though sometimes that can be self-defeating).

If I'm not on a deadline, I might work on something different than the thing that's giving me the problems. Or, as other people have mentioned, switch up the POV.

A lot of the time, though, I think it just amounts to planting your butt in the chair and putting your pencil to paper. I'm suffering a bit of writer's block by now (well, in the form of "massive plot hole that hates me" more than just "can't write", but whatever)  and don't feel I have the time to go screwing around and hoping something comes to me.

So a lot of the time I think it's just sit down and write. Likely things will occur as you go along, and if not at least you've gotten something done. It doesn't even matter if it's bad - that can be fixed later.

It's not always fun, but it does work.

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2009, 08:31:07 PM »
Yeah it doesn't matter if it's good or not–just that it starts the words flowing.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Rane

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2009, 06:02:12 AM »
Whenever I'm suffering from writers' block, I find that the most effective way to fix it is to grab my iPod, put on some nice instrumental music, and either lie down in a dark room and just sit there and think, or take a walk around some unknown part of town and, again, think.