Author Topic: How you handle WRITER'S BLOCK!  (Read 8903 times)

Elmandr

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
How you handle WRITER'S BLOCK!
« on: September 14, 2008, 01:54:26 PM »
Hey fellow writers,

I assume you all know what writers block is--all of us more then we'd like. I caught it this week, and it hit me hard. Now, you must know that i have my own personal remedy but i think it's losing its affect. I go rock climbing or hiking and sometimes if its raining, i put on my favorite hoodie, and listen to the rain trickle on the brim the hood--It's soothing, i don't know! Don't judge me.

Anyway, i realized how....unique my remedies were and wondered what other writers do to ward of the plague that is writer's block.

What is your way of getting through, over, under, passed, and around it?
"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
Re: How you handle WRITER'S BLOCK!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 04:21:42 PM »
Well, I don't have any sure fire way to kick it, but I've been listening to writing excuses for awhile now.

http://www.writingexcuses.com/2008/05/

This one in particular may give you some ideas.
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Dangerbutton

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 06:36:06 PM »
I deliver pizza.
Now, you need to have a job delivering pizza to do this (unles you want to buy a pizza and deliver it to someone.... or something), but it always works for me.
I'm all suffering from writer's block, not knowing what to write, and then I go to work, spend a few hours driving, alone in my car, just me, music, and that wonderful aroma of pizza, and BOOM, I get ideas and stuff. Pizza always comes through.

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 08:47:52 PM »
I deliver pizza.
Now, you need to have a job delivering pizza to do this (unles you want to buy a pizza and deliver it to someone.... or something), but it always works for me.
I'm all suffering from writer's block, not knowing what to write, and then I go to work, spend a few hours driving, alone in my car, just me, music, and that wonderful aroma of pizza, and BOOM, I get ideas and stuff. Pizza always comes through.

Thats sounds awesome!
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Chunky Monkey Sr.

• Level 2
  • Government is not reason,or eloquence, it is force
    • View Profile
    • The Junk Folder
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 11:04:57 PM »
I play with my son.  He's only about a month old, but watching him interact with all the new things he is experiencing really makes my mind look at things differently.

This obviously only works if you have children yourself, and I don't suggest you run off and try and make one for the sole purpose of eliminating writer's block...
Eagles may soar, but Penguins don't get sucked into Jet Engines.

misterooga

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 05:52:24 PM »
Hey fellow writers,
What is your way of getting through, over, under, passed, and around it?

I wonder if not writing for couple of days (weeks?) count as a symptom of writer's block. In my case, it's distractions...life, as others call it.

I think motivation a big issue for me. There are couple of projects but I need to finish current one...and I can't seem to find time. I read somewhere spend each 5/15 minutes and just grind through...

I know I go through these phases where I am all hyped up but then the itnerest suddenly cools...despite deadlines and what not.

Any suggestion to get out of this slump besides stealing a kid next door or quitting a day job for pizza delivery?

Chunky Monkey Sr.

• Level 2
  • Government is not reason,or eloquence, it is force
    • View Profile
    • The Junk Folder
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 03:10:42 AM »
Just thought of another one that happened to me the last couple nights...

Stay awake several nights straight...it works charms on the imagination.

NOTE:  I think that technically, after being sleep deprived for 48 hours, then you are clinically considered insane...just, you know, a warning.
Eagles may soar, but Penguins don't get sucked into Jet Engines.

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 03:13:39 AM »
Just thought of another one that happened to me the last couple nights...

Stay awake several nights straight...it works charms on the imagination.

NOTE:  I think that technically, after being sleep deprived for 48 hours, then you are clinically considered insane...just, you know, a warning.

Yeah im pretty sure you become delusional...i think your confusing that with the imagination... :-\. Get some sleep.
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Silenced Parrot

• Level 3
  • You spilled my egg, I needed that egg. -Spike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 08:18:59 AM »
If I get writers block and can't write anything good, I just go and write in my journal or blog. Usually that fixes it and I can continue writing on real projects. Either that or I just browse Wikipedia for hours on end or read some books I need to catch up on.

Or Warhammer Online.

*shrug* I don't know why that always helps me but it does.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

George Carlin (RIP)

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 12:52:58 PM »
If I get writers block and can't write anything good, I just go and write in my journal or blog. Usually that fixes it and I can continue writing on real projects. Either that or I just browse Wikipedia for hours on end or read some books I need to catch up on.

Or Warhammer Online.

*shrug* I don't know why that always helps me but it does.

For me, i play Monster Hunter on PSP...Im not sure if you know what that is, but its a really cool game. :)
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

misterooga

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 03:57:31 PM »
For me, i play Monster Hunter on PSP...Im not sure if you know what that is, but its a really cool game. :)

I think that's what I had been doing... just playing some DS games or surf online. Though it's probably because I am sick with cold and there isn't much time when I get off work...  So sleepless nights are out of questions for me.

Silenced... that's pretty good idea...I should try just typing. For that matter, anyone tried to type/work while they commute? I wonder if one of those small eeePC will help me in this endeavour (haha.. just an excuse...I am sure I might end up playing games on that thing).

Dangerbutton

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 06:42:27 PM »
In my creative writing class we have talked about how sometimes the delay that comes from writing block is actually an important part. It is a time when our mind can just work through things and develop your idea, almost unconsciously.
Of course, I may just be trying to justify procrastination...

Silenced Parrot

• Level 3
  • You spilled my egg, I needed that egg. -Spike
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 08:24:55 PM »
In my creative writing class we have talked about how sometimes the delay that comes from writing block is actually an important part. It is a time when our mind can just work through things and develop your idea, almost unconsciously.

lol, I sometimes think that too though. It does make me feel better about not working. : \

And I play games all the time to get new idea's and see new worlds. Right now, I'm playing Warhammer Online and it's the most fun I've had in a game in a very long time.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

George Carlin (RIP)

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2008, 01:54:43 AM »

lol, I sometimes think that too though. It does make me feel better about not working. : \

And I play games all the time to get new idea's and see new worlds. Right now, I'm playing Warhammer Online and it's the most fun I've had in a game in a very long time.

Actually, i think that could be true, i haven't had a serious attempt in writing of late but i have head an idea that i've been chewing on for a while--looking back at what it started as and what it has become, barely recognizable...
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2008, 01:00:46 AM »
I recently went through a fairly long phase of writers block. In desperation I starting writing about this image I had in my head of a completely different story. It was kinda cool cause I was completely making things up as I went, almost like I was discovering my own world...I realized who the villian was going to be, and then discovered his motivations and talents. Of course, I completely forgot about my first story. So that part of it backfired. But otherwise just randomly writing works great!  :P
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!