Author Topic: The Countdown  (Read 47043 times)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
The Countdown
« on: September 14, 2008, 07:11:02 AM »
Right now, in my time zone (Mountain time), it has just turned into September 14th. Which means... only thirty more days until the Hero of Ages!

I say that this topic will be the Grand Countdown for it. But, instead of just having people say "Twenty-nine days until MB3!" over and over again, I say we mix it up a bit :D.

Every day, let's post one of our theories and discuss it for the day. As of late, it seems we just wait for sample chapters and not do much rampant theorizing, so hopefully, this topic will get us both psyched and get us on our final stretch of theorizing before the answers are revealed!

I'm not sure how we'd decide which theory to start on for each day. I suppose the first poster for the day can suggest a theory to discuss, and we could just see how it goes!

Any takers for the first day's discussion, T-30 days to go? (Ookla could suggest some theories to talk about, too!)
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: The Countdown
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 09:04:17 AM »
Theory: Mistborn 3 will involve a trip into one of the ashmounts to throw something in.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 09:46:46 AM »
Theory: Mistborn 3 will involve a trip into one of the ashmounts to throw something in.

-_-  I loathe you some days.  Now that's all I'm going to be worried about for the next month!

xD
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Elmandr

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 11:55:48 AM »
I keep thinking its gonna be a ring....huh? Wonder why that keeps happening? *shrugs, than drinks his deliciously made tea nonchalantly.*
 :-\

In all seriousness though, i don't think that the LOTR has much to do with MB anymore. I mean sure it was the initial insentive of the book, but i think we're past that.

The whole "what if the Frodo never made it to the Mountain top?' question that EUOL fiddled with is answered. He told us what he thinks should it have happened already...in book one! "...if i should fail, another will come after me..." i think that was how it was written. That is EUOL's answer to the question, but the book has become so much more. Maybe he didn't plan it, but it has.

In short, i disagree.

However, i am not demeaning the importance of the ashmounts, i do believe they are of some significance but in a whole different manner.
"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 05:25:00 PM »
I used to think that the Ashmounts were immensely significant. There would need to be reason for Rashek to create the Ashmounts in the first place. That, and they have names. Things that are named are usually more important than non-named things.

However, with the two epigraphs we have for MB3, the Ashmounts could just be the result of improper use of the power at the Well.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 06:08:54 PM »
What the ashmounts are for has practically been revealed already. Of course, you need to know a few specific things about science to get the explanation.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 07:04:47 PM »
What the ashmounts are for has practically been revealed already. Of course, you need to know a few specific things about science to get the explanation.
I took geology so I SHOULD know what your talking about.  Now I'm all frustrated that I can't figure it out.  Once I do I'll probably slap myself over it.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 07:42:08 PM »
It's probably something like Rashek made the Ashmounts to spew ash to block the sun's ray's, because the planet was now placed too close to the sun.

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 10:02:40 PM »
Or maybe to more actively churn up the earth, providing greater resources for fertilizer, obsidian, metals, etc. . .
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 11:03:21 PM »
It's probably something like Rashek made the Ashmounts to spew ash to block the sun's ray's, because the planet was now placed too close to the sun.
DING DING DING

Czanos' suggestion is worth thinking about though.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 11:16:31 PM »
DING DING DING

Czanos' suggestion is worth thinking about though.

Neato. See, already, this topic is so useful.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 11:27:57 PM »
SO, they will have to move the earth farther away from the sun in order to fix it.  But when they do that then suddenly everything will be REALLY cold.  So they'll have to go and do something to the ashmounts in order to get them to stop shooting soot into the air.

As far as creating more metals. . . hmmm.  Perhaps this has to do with the 16th metal and it "inhibiting power" as we have though about before.  Maybe that's what they have to put in it, but where is it.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 11:42:32 PM »
 :oWhat if the sixteenth metal is located within the Ashmounts and Vin or whoever has to go and retrieve it? That would be the opposite of LOTR! It would make sense.
"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 12:55:25 AM »
:oWhat if the sixteenth metal is located within the Ashmounts and Vin or whoever has to go and retrieve it? That would be the opposite of LOTR! It would make sense.

Lol, that'd be just like Brandon, breaking fantasy conventions and all.

"Now, Frodo, we want you to dive into the lava and get the Ring out."

"WHAT!?"

"Yeah... heck of a plot-twist, eh?"

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 01:28:20 AM »

Lol, that'd be just like Brandon, breaking fantasy conventions and all.

"Now, Frodo, we want you to dive into the lava and get the Ring out."

"WHAT!?"

"Yeah... heck of a plot-twist, eh?"
As funny as that sounds I doubt it. ha ha!  OH!!! WAIT!  She could PULL the metal out!
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。