Author Topic: Brandon's Book Tour  (Read 22230 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Brandon's Book Tour
« Reply #105 on: November 12, 2008, 06:16:54 AM »
It's just that...he's so drastically changing Way of Kings from the original version that I find it highly unlikely that he read something from the original version.

When we had dinner with Brandon after the Torrance signing, his itch to start writing was palpable. And honestly, his new idea for what to do with the book was very exciting.

I'm sure though that if he is working on it at all, he's doing so in a very controlled fashion and still devoting most of his time to AMoL.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 06:22:20 AM by Mok Apple Pie »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Lightblade

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 12, 2008, 12:28:27 PM »
I wonder if anyone could persuade Brandon to come to South East Michigan for a book signing.... Considering how populated we are and how many book stores there are in the area we never seem to get any authors to come here for signings.... Makes a person downright depressed   :'(

jnktoburen

• Level 2
  • Uh... is this thing on?
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 12, 2008, 04:57:12 PM »
Got to meet Brandon last night in Pittsburg. Not many people there (about 20) so I was excited. Brandon was extremely gracious and as always very transparent. I was bummed that so many people obviously hadn't read his blog or his forum posts, because many of the questions were variations of those he's already answered here and there. Regardless, it was an excellent time.

He read a section from Way of Kings. He prefaced it by saying this exact scene may not make it into any final cut of the books, but something akin to it probably would. There were many names and references to which I was unfamiliar (obviously), but the scene is a dance, and an assassin wearing white (much to-do about the fact he was wearing white), is on his way to "visit" the king who has retired for the evening. The interesting thing that came out of the reading was a cultural moray followed by the people who have sent the assassin - that an assassin should wear white, because you should give the person you are about to assassinate the chance to see you coming. Seems a tad counterproductive, but I liked the principle.

When asked a question about the formations of his magic systems, Brandon answered much the way he has on his posts - but added some detail about the magic in Way of Kings. He has said that he likes linking science, specifically physics, to something arcane or magical and thus creates a very realistic, visceral system. Way of Kings uses the 4 known forces - gravity, magnetism, the strong atomic force, and the weak atomic force, as the "science" behind the system. He marries that to an arcane power derived from oath making (and I'm assuming  breaking), to form his magic system. I have absolutely no idea how that works - that why he's writing it and I'm reading it - but it sounds much more intriguing than the "additive and subtractive" magic system found in Goodkind's series.

The two hours flew by, and I found at the end I hadn't said half the things I'd wanted to say, but couldn't help walking away from the experience feeling like I'd just sat down and had coffee with a friend who happens to be a best-selling author.

Well done, Brandon.
What? You were expecting greatness?

Icarus

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 12, 2008, 05:36:22 PM »
It's just that...he's so drastically changing Way of Kings from the original version that I find it highly unlikely that he read something from the original version.

He mentioned that the part he was reading, if it shows up in the final versions, probably won't be included until book three of what he said was 10 books he was planning (if I remember correctly).

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #109 on: November 12, 2008, 07:22:30 PM »
The two hours flew by, and I found at the end I hadn't said half the things I'd wanted to say, but couldn't help walking away from the experience feeling like I'd just sat down and had coffee with a friend who happens to be a best-selling author.

That is the same feeling that I had when I saw him in DC on Monday! He is such a humble man and very personable.
I wanted to show up at the Pittsburg signing as well because I just couldn't get enough! But alas, time was not my friend this week.

Icarus,I was there too, you may have seen the weirdo drawing a dragon in the 3rd row. :)
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 12, 2008, 08:59:57 PM »
Thanks for the detail, jnktoburen. Icarus, did that sound like the same section he read for you?

I'll retract my guess that Brandon has started writing. As for pre-planning, he was already doing that so that's no surprise. He's doing a pitch of Way of Kings (with some art from Inkthinker) to Tom Doherty when he gets to New York, so had to have it thought out.

I think it's cool he's doing these readings though. Drumming up excitement can't be bad, and with any luck the first book will be out in two years.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 13, 2008, 12:06:09 AM »
Come on now. You guys are getting me worked up. I like Brandons ideas of linking magic and science. Its one of the reasons I love allomancy so much. It takes something from what we know and tweaks it to make it more. I also love nothing more than a 10 book epic fantasy series. My only issue is the waiting for it to be written and released. It will be 20 years before most of them are out for us to read. Ah well I guess that one of the problems with liking an author who is starting his career, you have to wait for the next great thing they write.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #112 on: November 13, 2008, 12:54:22 AM »
Sure there is waiting, but with Brandon's work so far, anything he does is destined for awesomeness. I will ride out the waits for anything he writes. He has converted me :)
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 13, 2008, 03:24:55 AM »
I agree but that doesn't make the waiting pleasant. >:(

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 13, 2008, 07:20:24 AM »
You've also got to keep in mind that we won't be left with a five year wait between books.  I think he flat out said somewhere that it will be a way of the kings book, then a couple of his other works, then another way of the kings book, then a few more other books, and so on.  (Although, if no one can find where he said that, you can all call me a liar, and that my tired brain is messing with me.)
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #115 on: November 13, 2008, 07:28:29 AM »
I'm actually surprised Brandon is going for 10 books, he has a hard enough time with a three book series since he's always wanting to write 10 books at once.

He does write fast but I wouldn't be surprised to see a coupple of years between books after the first three or four.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

jnktoburen

• Level 2
  • Uh... is this thing on?
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 13, 2008, 03:28:13 PM »
Another think Brandon said was that Way of Kings would definitely be his next project, and that he would try to put out a book every year or two, taking time off to write stand-alones occasionally during that time period. He said his focus would be on WoK and that if he did something else during that time it would be for a break. The possibilities he mentioned for those stand-alones included another story set in the Elantris world, and (don't get jumpy now) a story set in the Mistborn world.
What? You were expecting greatness?

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 13, 2008, 05:45:47 PM »
I almost want you to stop saying these things. Really that last thing I need is to spend the next couple of years hoping that either the Mistborn world or the Elantrian world will be re-visited. I would love nothing more than to read more on either of these stories but for the time being I'm going to think of you as a liar or just misinformed. Now this is nothing against you because your are more likely than not telling the truth but it is an effective way to convince myself not to get excited.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #118 on: November 13, 2008, 06:26:39 PM »
I really hope I can go to one of the signings he does on his Utah/Idaho leg.....I'm in Rexburg right now, but I'm done with the semester on Dec 12. And then I go home. Sure, home is Twin Falls, but most authors don't make a stop there, even though we have a fairly decent B&N....So if he goes to IF after the 12th, I think I'm going to have to beg my dad to take me up there (although I really don't think it'll take a whole lot of begging since he's a fan of Mistborn too and he's actually the reason I heard about Brandon in the first place...). If the IF signing is after that date, though, I think I'll hope that he'll come to Twin. It's the most realistic stop between IF and Boise, since Poky is pretty close to IF.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 13, 2008, 06:32:13 PM »
There's a lot of talk (including from Brandon) about Mistborn trilogy sequels in the main spoiler thread.