Author Topic: Brandon's Book Tour  (Read 22211 times)

kiernan

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Brandon's Book Tour
« on: September 12, 2008, 04:59:50 AM »
I just saw on Brandon's website the list of his '08 book tour. I've never been able to go to one of his signings nor any author's before, but I'm planning to this time around since he'll be in my neighborhood. My question is, how early should I show up? Can I just show up or do I have to buy a ticket or something? I know that may sound like a silly question, but my reasoning is that if they're expecting a large amount of people and have a limited number of space and time, they might limit who gets in.

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
Re: Brandon's Book Tour
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 06:47:56 AM »
Depending on where you live, you may want to show up 30-60 minutes in advance.  Where I live in Idaho Falls, Idaho, we are not super populated (only about 60,000 people) so I can show up at just about anytime and still get some face time with him.

One thing that Brandon is fairly good on, is sticking around until everyone has had their book signed or what not (barring anything unforeseen or multiple signings at different bookstores, etc).  He loves meeting his fans and if he has time he will even talk theories/ideas with you.
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 07:01:14 AM »
The eastern leg sucks! No representing for the southeast?

I'm hoping they plan to expand that up a good bit.

In answer to the OP, I don't think I've ever been to a signing or author meet-n-greet where you were required to do anything but show up and be nice. Bring or buy the books you want signed, ask a question if you got one, don't be a time-burglar. It's polite if you buy a book while you're there, but I don't think it's ever been mandatory, just good manners.

Last one I went to was with Carl Hiassen, where he did a speech and took questions and I got to ask if he felt pressure or had difficulty with a need to continually one-up the craziness of his villains, given that some of them are fairly batshit-crazy, to which he replied that after you've written a character with a weedwhacker attached to the stump of one arm and the decaying severed head of a pit bull with it's teeth buried to the bone in the other, you pretty much stop trying to keep score.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 07:16:30 AM »
Man... I would really love to get to any of these signings, but I'm just that out of the way from the Western leg. I'm in Bozeman, Montana. Since I don't have my own vehicle, it's hard to compel a friend to drive that far for a book signing (even to Idaho Falls, it's costly), and I certainly can't fly anywhere on my budget.

My consolation is that there will be signings for other books, and by then, I should have the ability to go out there and get to one.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 07:34:12 AM »
I'M TOTALLY GOING TO PROVO!  It's not that far away.

I def want to get a numbered copy.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 07:38:47 AM »
The eastern leg sucks! No representing for the southeast?

I'm hoping they plan to expand that up a good bit.

I agree, no Boston love.  :( However, I am eagerly awaiting sometime in the future when I can finally meet Mr. Sanderson and thank him for ruining my life with his awesome work!  ;)

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 07:45:46 AM »
I think I'll take one of each of my books to each of the signings near my area so I have an excuse to talk to him four times. HA HA.  Even though I already have a signed copy of Elantris.  So get this.  I lent it to my ENGLISH TEACHER and it came back to me damaged.  I was like what the heck!  You're an ENGLISH teacher. ugh. D: ha ha.  I need a new one.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 01:44:06 AM »
I'm bummed he's skipping the middle of the country... I doubted he would come to Oklahoma, but not even Kansas or Texas?  :'(

Maybe next time...
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 01:58:21 AM »
I'm bummed he's skipping the middle of the country... I doubted he would come to Oklahoma, but not even Kansas or Texas?  :'(
Well, touring is tiring. Plus, it does cost lots of money. Besides which, EUOL has Pem and limebaby at home to miss him when he's out of town. ;)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 04:48:46 AM by Shrain »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Korda

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • renderosity gallery
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 02:11:50 AM »
What wait! He's not coming to Australia, whats up with that? :P
Wisdom cannot be found in a single sentence...

...You need at least two.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 05:40:54 AM »
Depending on where you live, you may want to show up 30-60 minutes in advance.  Where I live in Idaho Falls, Idaho, we are not super populated (only about 60,000 people) so I can show up at just about anytime and still get some face time with him.

Firstly, nice to see another IF native on the boards. But other than that, I'll pretty much agree with what you said. You show up, bring or buy a book (buying is better, you get more copies and it makes bookstores and Brandon happy), and you talk to Brandon about all the cool things he's doing/your crazy theories. That's how all the signings I've been to have worked, even non-IF ones. So I would assume they will be the same.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 06:09:10 AM »
Awwww stop making them sound so fun! Makes me sad that I can't attend one.  ;D

One day....  ;)

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 07:43:13 AM »

Firstly, nice to see another IF native on the boards. But other than that, I'll pretty much agree with what you said. You show up, bring or buy a book (buying is better, you get more copies and it makes bookstores and Brandon happy), and you talk to Brandon about all the cool things he's doing/your crazy theories. That's how all the signings I've been to have worked, even non-IF ones. So I would assume they will be the same.
I'm from Poky!  Are you guys gonna go down to Provo?
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008, 06:43:41 PM »
Probably not. I'll just preorder a numbered copy. Then I'll buy one here. I'll still get the numbered copy, and I'll still get to read it as soon as it comes out. Pretty much the perfect solution.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 07:04:55 PM »
I'm excited that Brandon is making his way out to Vegas again. I've been spreading the word myself since Borders doesn't do much to promote these signings, so hopefully he'll get a better turnout than the last one I attended. A little bummed that it won't have a Reading and Q&A, but I guess it's better than feeling ackward when David Farland doesn't get asked any questions.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.