Author Topic: The Comprehensive Kandra Thread  (Read 13617 times)

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Comprehensive Kandra Thread
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2008, 11:40:44 PM »
Yeah but would the dog look the same? I know hes experienced but could he get the details right without a corpse? I dought it. Vin pays close attention to things it would be hard if things werent exactly right.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2008, 11:45:13 PM »
Yeah but would the dog look the same? I know hes experienced but could he get the details right without a corpse? I dought it. Vin pays close attention to things it would be hard if things werent exactly right.
But she also HATED OreSeur.  So she REALLY didn't pay attention until AFTER.

I also vaguely remember it being said that she never actually SAW OreSeur as the dog, because that was when TenSoon got rid of him.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2008, 11:56:44 PM »
Does anyone know what kandra eat? or if they do?

Well, we know that they at least eat aged (rancid) meat so other than that not sure of what their diet consists. I find it interesting though, that they would keep flesh inside a tiny pouch, assumably for emergencies.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2008, 12:13:31 AM »
Does anyone know what kandra eat? or if they do?

Well, we know that they at least eat aged (rancid) meat so other than that not sure of what their diet consists. I find it interesting though, that they would keep flesh inside a tiny pouch, assumably for emergencies.
I assume that flesh was for making bodies, not eating.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2008, 12:45:56 AM »
I assume that flesh was for making bodies, not eating.

I assume both.
moustaches on the other.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2008, 02:57:25 AM »
Agree with Vegas. Its probably for both sustenance and creating.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2008, 04:43:03 PM »
I also agree.  Kandra gotta eat too, you know.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2008, 06:24:36 PM »
Yes, but remember how starving TenSoon was when they threw down the flesh to him?  If he was soooo hungry why didn't he simply eat the flesh he had stored.  He assumed they were going to let him die.

I think it's something along the lines that if you set it aside for using it gets preserved and therefor is "uneatable."
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2008, 07:48:05 PM »
Yes, but remember how starving TenSoon was when they threw down the flesh to him?  If he was soooo hungry why didn't he simply eat the flesh he had stored.  He assumed they were going to let him die.

I think it's something along the lines that if you set it aside for using it gets preserved and therefor is "uneatable."

He had been held for months and they fed him very little. It's possible that he was rationing the flesh so he could stay alive longer. When they find a new body you only ever see the bones; where else would the flesh go?
moustaches on the other.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2008, 07:59:52 PM »

He had been held for months and they fed him very little. It's possible that he was rationing the flesh so he could stay alive longer. When they find a new body you only ever see the bones; where else would the flesh go?
Some would be eaten, some stored, and the rest used to create the body.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2008, 08:03:45 PM »
I don't think we should underestimate TenSoon's willpower or ability to act in a noble and self-sacrificing manner.  Even if he could have consumed the flesh and staved off feelings of starvation, I believe he could have been saving it for just the purpose he ended up using it for.  He knew the Contracts, and while he was aware that the other kandra might not follow them, there was also the possibility that they would, and he wished to be prepared for that possibility and do what he could to speak out.
He ate my horse.

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2008, 09:37:02 PM »
I agree 100% SarahG.

More kandra questions.

1) Is it possible that kandra gain memories when digesting the brain of their corpse? They say that they observe very well but is that the whole story? I'm sure this one has already been discussed but thought I would add it anyway.

2) When they consume the corpse, do they start from the head down, feet up? Do they put themselves on one leg at a time

3) How did OreSuer make Kelsier's skin transparent? If they use the flesh as the material, how do they alter it's attributes to make it transparent? I can understand cutting holes in it etc. to allow storing something inside their body, but altering its makeup? Is it possible that it is some form of Hemalurgy? That they burn the flesh in their flesh pouch much like an Allomancer with metal? Do Inquisitors happen to eat flesh to live longer, become much stronger etc?
moustaches on the other.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2008, 09:57:58 PM »
I don't think they use the flesh to actually make the body, I think they use it to change their own flesh to the texture and color needed.  They must also become more and less dense based on the size of the organism they are mimicking.  The only trick is they need a support structure, and even though Tensoon can create organs without help, he can still probably do it much faster the other way. 

As for how he eats, I imagine he envelopes the food and digests the whole thing at once.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2008, 10:01:10 PM »
I agree 100% SarahG.
Of course you do.  You nominated me for HoA.

1) Is it possible that kandra gain memories when digesting the brain of their corpse? They say that they observe very well but is that the whole story?
My guess is no.  Or at least, they do not gain access to ALL the memories of the victim.  For one thing, the victim is already dead, so presumably the memories die with the brain.  For another thing, there are a few mistakes that TenSoon makes that could possibly have clued Vin in - for example, he "forgets" that he already warned her that replicating the wolfhound would take a long time because of the hair placement.

2) When they consume the corpse, do they start from the head down, feet up? Do they put themselves on one leg at a time
My guess (based on the new TenSoon chapter) is that they could choose to digest and replicate the body in any order they wished.  I wonder if we'll get to see any more detailed scenes of kandra taking form.  I bet we will, since TenSoon is a viewpoint character.

3) How did OreSuer make Kelsier's skin transparent? If they use the flesh as the material, how do they alter it's attributes to make it transparent? I can understand cutting holes in it etc. to allow storing something inside their body, but altering its makeup? Is it possible that it is some form of Hemalurgy? That they burn the flesh in their flesh pouch much like an Allomancer with metal? Do Inquisitors happen to eat flesh to live longer, become much stronger etc?
Great questions there.  I'm thinking that since kandra are able to create their own flesh, after the patterns of the bodies they've eaten, they would come to have an excellent knowledge of biology and how it works.  This would enable them to tweak those workings to a far greater extent than humans can do.

As for Inquisitors, the idea that they're cannibals is terrifying, especially now that I know they have that etching of me in their bathroom.  I don't want to be stalked by cannibals.  If I had to choose, I'd rather my flesh be lusted after sexually than gastrically.

That brings up a good point, though: maybe this is the reason people in the Mistborn world tend to wear a lot of clothes - to discourage the Inquisitors from being tempted to eat them.
He ate my horse.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2008, 10:07:52 PM »
Hahaha ;D, good stuff Sarah I think you and Dave have it pegged