Author Topic: The Comprehensive Kandra Thread  (Read 13634 times)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
The Comprehensive Kandra Thread
« on: September 11, 2008, 04:23:33 AM »
Okay, this one is similar to the Hemalurgy thread. Let's filter all questions, theories, and ideas about the kandra into one topic (most notably the stuff that was posted in the "Vin as HOA" topic, which seemed to have diverted into a talk about kandra these last few pages).

Plus, we have this juicy morsel. Discuss (kandra-wise, at least)!
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: The Comprehensive Kandra Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 05:55:42 AM »
I love TenSoon's chapters.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 06:38:34 AM »
That was a true treat, indeed. I do wish to learn more of this "Blessing of Presence" thing. It seems rather important, being capitalized and all.

jjb

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 07:34:34 AM »
So if it wasn't obvious after reading the chapter, Ookla just told us that TenSoon will stay alive and be important enough to get more viewpoints. yay!

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 02:25:12 PM »
The new chapter raised a question for me.  We now know acid can kill a Kandra, but could that be how TenSoon killed Oreseur?  It seems that would be difficult to do quickly and quietly.  It's probably quite messy as well.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 05:14:49 PM »
Actually, other people referenced the fact that TenSoon gets more chapters. Besides, he's too cool to die this soon.

The new chapter raised a question for me.  We now know acid can kill a Kandra, but could that be how TenSoon killed Oreseur?  It seems that would be difficult to do quickly and quietly.  It's probably quite messy as well.

Hmmmm... Very true... I would say something profound, but all I have is to say that it's definitely something to ponder about.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 06:07:36 PM »
The problem of comprehensive threads is that it can be difficult to discuss a given aspect of the book without discussing other aspects.  For instance, some of us suspect that kandra are related to hemalurgy because they're related to koloss, which have nails in their bodies.  So in which comprehensive thread should that theory be discussed?  (Hypothetically speaking; I actually have no more thoughts than the above to discuss on that particular theory.)

OK, got that little rant out, now it's time to humbly confess that my idea of kandra being entirely insubstantial, spiritual beings turns out to have been way off base and completely wrong.  Wrong, wrong, wrong.  I still think it would have been cool if it turned out that kandra not only were of Preservation, but actually WERE Preservation, but clearly that's not how EUOL chose to do things.

I still wonder how they can digest and excrete things, though, without a digestive system.  (Didn't he say, when considering whether to make an eye, that organs without skeletons could easily be crushed by his mass of unattached muscles?)  What IS their body made of, other than muscles and skin?  Is there some sort of fluid?

Frankly, I think kandra are kind of gross and creepy.  I think maybe that's what EUOL wants us to think.  But I do like TenSoon; it looks like he's going to turn out to be quite a noble, self-sacrificing character.
He ate my horse.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 06:21:39 PM »
I think of them as digesting things like amoebas do.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 06:48:41 PM »
Agreed, or like the Blob.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 07:30:28 PM »
You all keep asking how TenSoon killed OreSeur, yet we don't know IF he was killed.  Maybe when Zane told TenSoon to replace OreSeur he simply replaced him, telling OreSeur to go home.  I don't recall TenSoon explicitly saying "I killed OreSeur,"  I think he might have said, "He's gone,"  but that wouldn't mean he was dead either.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 09:02:07 PM »
yeah i definitely don't think he killed OreSeur. The only crimes mentioned are breaking the contract and telling Vin the kandra's secret. There was no murder involved.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 09:15:38 PM »
Here's the thing, how would one Kandra determine the importance of its contract being more important than another? If Ten Soon told OreSeur to go home what would make him obey? Why would Ten Soon win that argument, because hes the third generation and has some sway. Who's to say Zane didn't have ten soon point out OreSeur and then Zane didn't kill him? I'm sure that wouldn't go against the contract.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 11:23:29 PM »
perhaps OreSeur is still in there, trapped in some closet without a skeleton... naw i dont really know. I just think there would be some guilt over killing one of his own kind.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 11:30:37 PM »
Not really. In mistborn prime (SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T READ MISTBORN PRIME), it's mentioned that a kandra will kill another kandra if it's current contract holder tells it to. The contract is what keeps the kandra alive, in their minds. It's what allows them to exist without humans freaking out and destroying them. So, they have to keep the contract at all costs. The life of a single kandra is insignificant when compared to the lives of the entire race.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 12:45:37 AM »
Mistborn Prime? Que? What is this and were do I get it?
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"