Author Topic: The Comprehensive Kandra Thread  (Read 13803 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: The Comprehensive Kandra Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 03:55:46 AM »
It's the first book Brandon wrote using the Mistborn magic system idea. It didn't turn out very well, though, so Brandon cannibalized it for Mistborn: The Final Empire. (Final Empire Prime is another book that Brandon cannibalized too. He also cannibalized part of Mythwalker and part of Aether of Night to make the Mistborn trilogy. Another part of Mythwalker was cannibalized into Warbreaker, and another part of Aether of Night was cannibalized into The Liar of Partinel, the first new Dragonsteel book.)

The only character from the original Mistborn Prime book who makes it into the current series is OreSeur (spelled Oresoor in the original).

You get it by asking Brandon for it.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2008, 03:58:38 AM »
Well thank you Mr. Ook. I guess that wealth of knowlage comes in handy from time to time.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 04:02:39 AM »
For instance, some of us suspect that kandra are related to hemalurgy because they're related to koloss, which have nails in their bodies. 

Wait... koloss have nails? I don't think that's right, is it? Steel Inquisitors have nails.

I've just been assuming that koloss and kandra are the results of biological experiments performed by the Lord Ruler in his early days. I don't see any hemalurgy references to either koloss or kandra offhand...

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 04:38:57 AM »
In WoA, I don't remember the exact page, but toward the end, one of the main characters is discussing how the koloss all have nails in their bodies. We were discussing that this may be hemalurgy related a while back. But Koloss definitely have nails.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2008, 04:43:20 AM »
For instance, some of us suspect that kandra are related to hemalurgy because they're related to koloss, which have nails in their bodies. 

Wait... koloss have nails? I don't think that's right, is it? Steel Inquisitors have nails.

I've just been assuming that koloss and kandra are the results of biological experiments performed by the Lord Ruler in his early days. I don't see any hemalurgy references to either koloss or kandra offhand...

They do. It's one of those elusive references you only see once, but they definitely have nails.

Hey, Andrew, did that particular thing make it into the Hemalurgy Reference Thread, or did it die too prematurely for that?

Quote from: SarahG
The problem of comprehensive threads is that it can be difficult to discuss a given aspect of the book without discussing other aspects.  For instance, some of us suspect that kandra are related to hemalurgy because they're related to koloss, which have nails in their bodies.  So in which comprehensive thread should that theory be discussed?  (Hypothetically speaking; I actually have no more thoughts than the above to discuss on that particular theory.)

Well, the Hemalurgy thread gets off topic all the time. It could go in whatever topic people post it in, though I believe that the relationship with koloss, kandra, and Hemalurgy was mentioned in that thread already, just not extensively talked about.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 04:53:28 AM by Chaos2651 »
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2008, 06:33:30 PM »
Still, it would be nice to have a reference for the nail bit.

I imagine Ten Soon had to eat Oreseur. Eww. But that's the only way I could think of a kandra killing another kandra without the mess of Acid.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2008, 08:38:02 PM »

The whole thing about Ten Soon and Ore Seur is that Kandra only eat bodies as far as we know. They don't eat alive bodies they eat dead ones. Also that would be the only way to get the same wolfhound body that Ore Seur had. So I don't know if they do eat living Kandra bodies or if Ten Soon killed Ore Seur and then ate the body.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2008, 09:37:21 PM »
Still, it would be nice to have a reference for the nail bit.

I imagine Ten Soon had to eat Oreseur. Eww. But that's the only way I could think of a kandra killing another kandra without the mess of Acid.
As far as the nails, it's only like one line where Sazed is sitting at his desk and as a passing thought mentions them being on his desk.  I'm inclined to think that MAYBE this is Atium and where it has all been hidden.  Then they were shaped like nails in order to hide them.

I also don't think that OreSeur was killed, just sent home.  IF I remember correctly Zane said "Replace OreSeur" not kill him. 
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2008, 09:49:34 PM »
It's only humans that they don't kill. How did OreSeur get the wolfhound body?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2008, 10:31:40 PM »
Exactly, he would have had to eat it to form it correctly. Also I still don't get how he would have sent him home. Give a reason why Ore Suer would listen and break his contract even though a Kandra lives for their contract. Either way I think Tensoon ate Ore Suer either dead or alive.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2008, 10:40:24 PM »
I guess I just want OreSeur to be alive. :(  I miss him. :'(
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2008, 10:59:18 PM »
Hey, I think it was cool that TenSoon betrayed Zane just because he liked Vin. It makes him seem much more human--despite being inhuman :P.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2008, 11:30:49 PM »
I agree, the whole "we live to uphold the contact" thing was to mechanical. Cold almost. It really made Ten Soon a more likable charater. Not only because he saved Vin but just because he broke contract.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2008, 11:31:50 PM »
Exactly, he would have had to eat it to form it correctly. Also I still don't get how he would have sent him home. Give a reason why Ore Suer would listen and break his contract even though a Kandra lives for their contract. Either way I think Tensoon ate Ore Suer either dead or alive.

I guess that would make him a cannibal  :P rather disgusting :o Although i guess the stomach acid would do the job. Does anyone know what kandra eat? or if they do?
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2008, 11:38:33 PM »
TenSoon probably had experience making Wolfhounds before.  He probably just stole the skeleton from OreSeur and used it.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。