Author Topic: HOA Chapter 2  (Read 7612 times)

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
Re: HOA Chapter 2
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 06:27:12 PM »
What do you think the LR could have been doing by just being alive to save mankind?

My theory is that it could be like Final Empire Prime, where he connected to one of the powers and controlled it (Ruin) thus preventing it from destroying the world. But in FEP the two sides (effectively Ruin and Preservation) seemed much more connected to the magic system, of which there was only one  (with two sides, but the same), instead of three distinct yet connected ones. Still, food for thought.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 09:31:06 PM »
I'm more inclined to believe that he held Preservation not Ruin.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008, 10:08:50 PM »
Yes.  Imagine if TLR's death is causing the world to slowly return to it's original location?  If everything he did was slowly unraveling?  I have never looked forward to October like I have this year.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008, 10:35:15 PM »
Yes.  Imagine if TLR's death is causing the world to slowly return to it's original location?  If everything he did was slowly unraveling?  I have never looked forward to October like I have this year.
That would make sense, if you consider that the mists are staying out longer. . . maybe it's because things are getting colder . . .
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Agate

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 04:16:18 AM »
What if TLR was both Ruin and Preservation.  In the Bump we see that in a moment the ability to change the world was known, what if this is what TLR did? He moved the earth, changed the World, this was the Power of Ruin,  Then TLR did what he could to preserve the world, create the Ash Mounts to have ash coat the sky and block out the sun, and all the other things and  theories of what he changed or was doing, was it to hold back the Ruin that was unleashed in that first moment of holding the power, and then Preserve what was left?
What if it now continues forward in Ruin?  was TLR holding it back? will the Ash Mounts stop or slow?

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 04:33:50 AM »
Well, in one MB1 annotation, Brandon stated that

Quote from: Brandon
I put the Lord Ruler in black and white--rather than just black, as I'd originally planned--to give metaphoric reference to his belief that he is God. He's both black and white--he encompasses all, and controls all. Of course, he's faking. In the mythology of this world, there are two forced--Ruin and Preservation--and he really only touched one of the two powers. But, then, we'll have more on that in later books.

(It's MB1, Chapter Thirty-four, part two, in case you want to take a look about that)

So, that pretty much means he could only have touched one of the powers, not both (hence our endless discussions on the matter).
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Agate

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2008, 04:42:59 AM »
Well, in one MB1 annotation, Brandon stated that

Quote from: Brandon
I put the Lord Ruler in black and white--rather than just black, as I'd originally planned--to give metaphoric reference to his belief that he is God. He's both black and white--he encompasses all, and controls all. Of course, he's faking. In the mythology of this world, there are two forced--Ruin and Preservation--and he really only touched one of the two powers. But, then, we'll have more on that in later books.

(It's MB1, Chapter Thirty-four, part two, in case you want to take a look about that)

So, that pretty much means he could only have touched one of the powers, not both (hence our endless discussions on the matter).

Chaos, thank 's for the reminder, I have not had the time to read and absorb all of the discussions.  The time I can spend  is very limited! 

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2008, 04:46:49 AM »
Yeah, it's not easy going through 27 pages of Ruin and Preservation and thirty some pages of the Hemalurgy thread (however, if you ever have free time, I highly recommend you read them).

Agate

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2008, 04:55:53 AM »
Not easy to find free time, with a Job that usually takes up to 60 hours a week  3+ hours of commuting each day, then the whole house ,family and oh yeah sleep, I save most of my free tme for reading, I will try to get through what I  can, at least until Mb3 comes out!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2008, 05:00:02 AM »
Yeah, you definitely have more time than me. If I get a job on top of my college work, though, then I would pretty much be up into the 80~90 hour range (at least, a full time job).

I feel for you, man. I'd suggest you just wait for MB3 and not have our wild theories potentially ruin the fun. Of course... we DO like new people who can add to our theories...

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2008, 07:19:35 AM »
In the Bump we see that in a moment the ability to change the world was known, what if this is what TLR did? He moved the earth, changed the World, this was the Power of Ruin,  Then TLR did what he could to preserve the world, create the Ash Mounts to have ash coat the sky and block out the sun, and all the other things and  theories of what he changed or was doing, was it to hold back the Ruin that was unleashed in that first moment of holding the power, and then Preserve what was left?
What if it now continues forward in Ruin?  was TLR holding it back? will the Ash Mounts stop or slow?

I think he did all that changing, yeah. Read Final Empire Prime; that's what I think TLR did.

But without spiraling into another endless discussion about which power he touched,  :P I just want to say that the jacket cover says that the Ashmounts are getting more active, and not less. Earthquakes and all that.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2008, 07:57:19 AM »
In the Bump we see that in a moment the ability to change the world was known, what if this is what TLR did? He moved the earth, changed the World, this was the Power of Ruin,  Then TLR did what he could to preserve the world, create the Ash Mounts to have ash coat the sky and block out the sun, and all the other things and  theories of what he changed or was doing, was it to hold back the Ruin that was unleashed in that first moment of holding the power, and then Preserve what was left?

I think he did all that changing, yeah. Read Final Empire Prime; that's what I think TLR did.

But without spiraling into another endless discussion about which power he touched,  :P I just want to say that the jacket cover says that the Ashmounts are getting more active, and not less. Earthquakes and all that.
Ahhh, but we also need to remember whereas SOME things were reincarnated into MB there was a lot drawn from other past books as well and they are not the same. ::)
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

sporkify

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2008, 10:34:34 PM »
We know that whomever this Hero of Ages is, they actually held the power of the Well of Ascension. I'm personally going to chalk this up as more evidence of it being Rashek, because it would explain how he messed up the world so bad. For example, he moved the planet closer to the sun, causing the burnlands and making the regions around the poles habitable. (Possibly so he could survive with a capital city right over the Well of Ascension.)

Now here's an interesting thought: what if there's a Well at each pole?  If we have a ruin/preservation dichotomy, we could also have them separated on opposite sides of the world.  This could also explain how Vin felt that thumping of the well; it was magnetic north.  Furthermore, If miyabi is right, and TLR aligned with preservation, we could have an interesting yin/yang like, ruin-in-preservation and preservation-in-ruin thing; the power of preservation keeps ruin imprisoned while the power of ruin keeps preservation imprisoned.  (or maybe I'm just making things overly complicated)  However, we could also have a habitable landmass on the opposite side of the world.  (though I'm inclined to believe that it would have been Ruin'd instead of Preservation'd) 

And of course, if the mistborn world (we should start calling it Vinland or Elendland, in the fashion of Randland...wot readers get this) is on the pole (specifically, the north pole, as the Terris mountains were in the north originally)  and if darxbane's theory is correct,
then we've got some migration to do.  Of course, this would fulfill the whole green-world, blue-sky thing...

Of course, the major issue here is there's no answer to why the mist is kinda killing things...
Gorram Frakking Woolhead!

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2008, 10:57:25 PM »
I would think that to be a sufficient hole in your thought process. But good theory.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2008, 11:09:19 PM »
Well, the link to the north pole was pretty cool, fitting with electromagnetism and all that. It's commendable.