Author Topic: HOA Chapter 2  (Read 8128 times)

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: HOA Chapter 2
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2008, 11:14:31 PM »
Agreed I think it was a good theory. The thing is I think we as theorists have a way in getting mid post and then finding a hole in our own theories. We then still post and explain the hole anyway. Not that I dislike this, I find it gives others the tools to expand from our ideas in ways we might not. All in all its good.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2008, 11:19:00 PM »
It's good having a realistic assessment of our own theories, lol.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2008, 02:15:05 AM »
And of course, if the mistborn world (we should start calling it Vinland or Elendland, in the fashion of Randland...

Vinland doesn't work. It sounds like some sort of viking name or something.... ;)

And Elendland is just weird. No, I think that if we're going to start calling this world something, it's got to be Hamland.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2008, 02:17:35 AM »
How can you argue with that? Great character and greater food. You cant go wrong.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2008, 04:20:15 AM »
RESOLVED: Mistborn's world is now known as Hamland.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2008, 06:44:10 AM »
*cough cough*

Topicality(Definitions) - Mist:    a drink of liquor served over cracked ice.
                   born:    possessing from birth the quality, circumstances, or character stated

Mistborn:  Something that is possessed of a drunken state from birth.

Ham:    an unskilled actor who overacts
                   land:    natural resources as a factor of production.

Hamland:  A land that produces many people who can't act.

Whereas drunken people can not act, they simply "ham it up" therefore the world of Mistborn SHOULD be called Hamland as is stated within the resolution.

Inherency - The land withing the world of Mistborn currently has no name.  This causes for it's ontological integrity to fall.  This is leading to the dehumanization of the people who live in said "country."  Human rights violations such as these are bad because they are some of the roots that lead to racism, sexism, ismisms, and all other forms of prejudice.

Harms - By not fixing said problem we will in fact be agreeing with and aiding the degradation of these people.  By doing this the T.W.G. will lose the soft power it has with other forum sites, which will lead to the use of hard power.  This can ONLY come in the form of HTTP NUKE WAR!  Which is bad because lots of IP addresses will suffer greatly and it will cause famine of internet connections, FTP server violations, and Google failure.

Solvency - By giving the land in which these people live a name we make them real.  Suddenly they are not just people, they are people.  This will cause everyone within the world to be seen as equal by those in other countries, thus giving them a stable ontological state. 

When the rest of the world sees that we are supporting such a cause they will see us as a good people and want to trade with us and become affiliated with us, increasing our soft power.  By increasing soft power we decrease hard power and thus avoid HTTP NUKE WAR!

Advantage 1 - While making these people more known and helping them to achieve an equal standing within society they will share with those of us on T.W.G. who helped with this.  What will they share you ask?  The 15th metal!  Then we will be super cool.

Advantage 2 - When other people see that we gain so much from helping to bring a culture and people into the light they will want to learn more about cultures that are generally ignored.  This will bring about WORLD PEACE!!!!!!!

Ok. . . I'm done.

オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2008, 10:04:48 PM »
Well ok then.

sporkify

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2008, 10:09:17 PM »
I would think that to be a sufficient hole in your thought process. But good theory.

I wouldn't call this so much a hole as an unexplained part of the book; I'm not making a comprehensive explanation, just theorizing on one facet of this world.  I suspect that the mist killing has to do more with Ruin and TLR's death, rather than changes coming from the Well's power and TLR's death.  (While the failure to come up with a good explanation for the mist's behavior is an issue, I would call my theory more "incomplete" than "flawed")  (I'm hoping someone else will be able to take this and run with it)

Edit: If I'm right about another Well, we should call it the Well of Descension.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 10:40:05 PM by sporkify »
Gorram Frakking Woolhead!

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2008, 02:39:32 AM »
What about the whole metal lake thing?

I like the idea of there being two wells at each pole, but how would the characters get to the other side?

Also as for what the lord ruler is doing while he's alive, I think that kredik shaw is aprt of it, everytime I read it's descritpion, it pops out at me, with the spires jutting out like a bunch of spikes.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2008, 07:38:51 AM »
I would think that to be a sufficient hole in your thought process. But good theory.

I wouldn't call this so much a hole as an unexplained part of the book; I'm not making a comprehensive explanation, just theorizing on one facet of this world.  I suspect that the mist killing has to do more with Ruin and TLR's death, rather than changes coming from the Well's power and TLR's death.  (While the failure to come up with a good explanation for the mist's behavior is an issue, I would call my theory more "incomplete" than "flawed")  (I'm hoping someone else will be able to take this and run with it)

Edit: If I'm right about another Well, we should call it the Well of Descension.

You, actually, can't say that your theory is merely incomplete due to the unanswered questions left for book three. You could however claim that it is a complete meritable theory based on the existing evidence, which makes it as valid as any other thoery based on what we know.

It could very well be flawed, but given that we are only hypothizing, in a sense, it is a complete speculation that, due to its insufficient information, is unable to fully answer some questions.

If you were to recieve that information, then it no longer be
your
theory but everyones ( Or, err, the truth of the books) reality... ;D

However, you will be credited for it, that is a different matter. It is the same as Newton and his thoery of gravity, he did not have the suffecient amount of technological advancement to proove what he suspected--or convince the scholarly world--but when Einstien made these theories
official
, though they are still Newtons theories--the concept of gravity became everyone's truth.
"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2008, 02:10:12 PM »
*cough cough*

Topicality(Definitions) - Mist:    a drink of liquor served over cracked ice.
 born: possessing from birth the quality, circumstances, or character stated

Mistborn: Something that is possessed of a drunken state from birth.

Ham: an unskilled actor who overacts
 land: natural resources as a factor of production.

Hamland: A land that produces many people who can't act.

Whereas drunken people can not act, they simply "ham it up" therefore the world of Mistborn SHOULD be called Hamland as is stated within the resolution.

Inherency - The land withing the world of Mistborn currently has no name. This causes for it's ontological integrity to fall. This is leading to the dehumanization of the people who live in said "country." Human rights violations such as these are bad because they are some of the roots that lead to racism, sexism, ismisms, and all other forms of prejudice.

Harms - By not fixing said problem we will in fact be agreeing with and aiding the degradation of these people. By doing this the T.W.G. will lose the soft power it has with other forum sites, which will lead to the use of hard power. This can ONLY come in the form of HTTP NUKE WAR! Which is bad because lots of IP addresses will suffer greatly and it will cause famine of internet connections, FTP server violations, and Google failure.

Solvency - By giving the land in which these people live a name we make them real. Suddenly they are not just people, they are people. This will cause everyone within the world to be seen as equal by those in other countries, thus giving them a stable ontological state.

When the rest of the world sees that we are supporting such a cause they will see us as a good people and want to trade with us and become affiliated with us, increasing our soft power. By increasing soft power we decrease hard power and thus avoid HTTP NUKE WAR!

Advantage 1 - While making these people more known and helping them to achieve an equal standing within society they will share with those of us on T.W.G. who helped with this. What will they share you ask? The 15th metal! Then we will be super cool.

Advantage 2 - When other people see that we gain so much from helping to bring a culture and people into the light they will want to learn more about cultures that are generally ignored. This will bring about WORLD PEACE!!!!!!!

Ok. . . I'm done.

Great, now I can't get Kumbayah out of my head!  Thanks, Miyabi.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2008, 03:50:51 PM »
Great, now I can't get Kumbayah out of my head!  Thanks, Miyabi.
How did my pretend first affirmative constructive get Kumbayah stuck in your head?
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2008, 05:16:46 PM »
I think it was that last line about World Peace.
He ate my horse.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2008, 06:19:44 PM »
Yes, that and the outrageously positive results adding a name to a fantasy world would produce.  I just started seeing everyone by a campfire singing and carrying on; dogs hugging cats, sheep and wolves arm and arm.  It's just so beautiful.  Like a fairy tale.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.