Author Topic: Review: Tropic Thunder  (Read 1241 times)

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Review: Tropic Thunder
« on: September 06, 2008, 05:53:10 PM »
I saw this movie a few days ago and figured I'd write a review for it.

The movie was incredibly witty and funny, parodying mainstream Hollywood fads and lifestyles. There was a considerable amount of controversy before the film even came out about Robert Downy Jr.'s "black face" character, but all fears were laid to rest when, in the course of the film, it is apparent that RDJ is not mocking black face, but mocking actors in general. In fact, the whole film mocks actors in general, and it is through each individual actor that a certain acting style is mocked.

The film begins with a few fake trailers (akin to the fake trailers before Quentin Tarantino/Robert Rodriguez's Grindhouse double feature) which focus on four of the actors from the film. These trailers are hilarious. They convey exactly all you need to know about the characters.

For example, Ben Stiller's character is mainly a summer blockbuster, shoot 'em up, action star (think Jason Statham or Sylvester Stallone). Jack Black's character is a comedy guru, along the lines of Eddie Murphy. Robert Downy Jr. is the character actor, delving so deep into his role that he forgets who he actually is (which is a major plot point later on in the film, but I won't spoil it).

The storyline of the movie is that all these actors are filming a new Vietnam war epic, adapted from the writings of a former Vietnam Vet. When things aren't going well for the studio and actors, and things look bleak, the veteran who wrote the book suggests taking the actors deep into the jungle to be filmed guerrilla style. Well, as one might expect, things go wrong, and the rag tag group of actors are thrust into a battle that is as real as any war might be.

There are moments in the middle of the film where the actors cannot grasp the fact that they are not shooting a movie anymore, which leads to some really funny bits between them.

One actor worthy of mentioning as an interesting character is Tom Cruise. He portrays a greedy, slimy Hollywood businessman in a fat suit. Honestly, until the camera really got a close-in look at him, I didn't recognize him.

Robert Downy Jr. steals the show, however. His over-the-top antics and character acting of the platoons African American Sergeant really make for a few interesting exchanges with one of the actual African American actors.

All in all, the movie was very funny when looked at as a satire and social commentary on actors and films in general.

Tropic Thunder Final Rating: A-