Author Topic: Warbreaker 2  (Read 7237 times)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Re: Warbreaker 2
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2008, 05:24:06 PM »
Way of Kings (Oathshards) is going to be a long series. I've heard how long Brandon wants to make it but I don't know that that's public information, so I won't say. However, while he's working on it, it's not going to be the only thing he writes. He may write three books in a row, then write something else, then write two more Oathshards books, then something else... I'm guessing that he'll write the Elantris sequel sometime during this, but most likely after he writes Nightblood. (I'm not sure when he plans to start the release of Dragonsteel.)

Also note that this only counts books for the general market. He will be writing any number of YA books and books like Alcatraz at the same time he's writing his grown-up fantasy books.

I look forward to reading all of those books :D.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2008, 12:05:36 AM »
Apparently it's public information, because he talked about it repeatedly at a signing recently. He said 10 books, then. And I couldn't agree with Chaos more.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2008, 12:39:06 AM »
It'll be great to one day have an entire bookshelf mounted on the wall with a complete collection of hardback, signed copies of all of Sanderson's books. xD
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2008, 12:53:24 AM »
Yeah. I saw that mentioned in a blog yesterday. 10 books. Anyone know what else he said at the signing? He probably said all sorts of cool stuff at Dragon*Con this weekend too. Sigh...
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2008, 01:04:12 AM »
When I talked to him at the signing, he said that he was planning on 10 books, several magic systems (my mind keeps putting up the number 10, then refusing to comprehend that any book could have that many. I hope so, though. I'm not guaranteeing anything, though), and about a bazillion characters. He didn't really talk at all about plot, but he said he was planning on releasing them a couple in a row, then something else, then back to Way of Kings. Or Oathshards or whatever the series is called now. Anyway, he probably said a lot more, but this was like a month and a half ago, so I'm having difficulty remembering. I didn't think to take notes.....Oh well.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2008, 01:14:27 AM »
You're remembering right. 10 books. 10 magic systems (though not all revealed in one book). And 10 heralds (and maybe 10 a few other things). (I heard this from Brandon at Worldcon.)

I don't know if Oathshards is still the name of the series as a whole though; that's information from a few years ago that I haven't heard confirmed recently. The first book was titled Way of Kings. Things may have changed. Or he may just often say Way of Kings when referring to the series but that's not actually the series title.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2008, 06:33:06 AM »
TEN magic systems?  They will most definitely have to all (or mostly) hard magics or else there would just be WAY too much room for craziness. ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2008, 05:25:03 PM »
Well, one of the magic systems is, I believe, restricted to control of the wind, with a quantitatively exhastible power source. I'm guessing that most of the other systems have similar limitations. It's been a while since I read the book. The other magic I remember is how the swords work. There was at least one more form of magic in the first book, but I can't remember any details other than who used it.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2008, 06:43:44 PM »
The possabilities are nearly unfathomable. Its tough to read things like this because now I want to read these books and I know it will be years before the ability to do so presents it self.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2008, 07:44:48 PM »
Apparently Brandon read some from Way of Kings this past weekend at Dragon*Con. What did he read at that signing, Andrew?

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2008, 04:48:57 AM »
Isn't the way of the king's the one that EUOL posted sample chapters for a while ago, where he was trying to decide if the king should be a guy or a girl?
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2008, 04:58:49 AM »
Apparently Brandon read some from Way of Kings this past weekend at Dragon*Con. What did he read at that signing, Andrew?

Either he didn't, or I missed it. I don't know which.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2008, 07:31:17 AM »
Well, one of the magic systems is, I believe, restricted to control of the wind, with a quantitatively exhastible power source. I'm guessing that most of the other systems have similar limitations. It's been a while since I read the book. The other magic I remember is how the swords work. There was at least one more form of magic in the first book, but I can't remember any details other than who used it.
Ah, well that's good.  I would hate to see ten different soft magic systems.  That would just be . . . daunting to try and comprehend the extensive possibilities as a reader.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。