Author Topic: These Insects are Driving me MAD!!!!!  (Read 2941 times)

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
These Insects are Driving me MAD!!!!!
« on: August 27, 2008, 05:18:18 PM »
Comatose's Rant for the Day

Okay, so, we have a small-scale (meaning crazy and out of control!) cricket infestation in our house.  Now normally this may seem like a not so bad thing.  Crickets don't bite, they eat grasshopper eggs, so the crops will be safer I guess.  However, crickets have one attribute that makes them more detestable than mosquitoes, tics, and hornets combined!  Their accursed chirping!  Even now I can hear them, one in particular (probably because it is close to me), "chirp, chirp, chirp."   They are everywhere.  Going down the stairs, I spot at least six or seven, and then there are probably ten at the foot of the stairs.  In the hallway, I will see three to eight.  In my room, I will see at least two, but there are more.  There has been some in my roof as well and right outside my window.  It is madness I tell you, madness!  They are not so bad during the day, when I have things to distract me from their horrible constant chirping (and it is constant), but I cannot sleep at night.  They are everywhere, so even if I go on a mass vacuum or squishing spree, they are still there.  Their chirping is constant, so I get not a moment of silence.  They are so loud that I can hear them through all my quilts, and my extra pillow.  I have tried listening to music, but they overpower even that (and they are always horribly off beat, which drives me even crazier).  The only strategy I have found that works in dealing with this is to stay up late, so I am incredibly tired, so that even with their chirping I fall asleep anyways.  However, I cannot even sleep in, because as soon as my sleep lightens, a loud chirp will wake me up, and I am stuck awake again!  It is maddening!  I have even awoken several times to find them crawling on me.  I just want them to stop.  Therefore, I have concluded, that Cricket's are Bloodthirsty creatures of destruction who enjoy tormenting their victims so much that they will die of sleep deprivation, or go mad and kill themselves, so that they may feast on our carcasses.  They are sent by the devil to destroy humankind.

This has been Comatose's rant for the day.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
Re: These Insects are Driving me MAD!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 05:46:59 PM »
Blimey! Time to call the exterminator. You need to poison the little buggers. Fast.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 09:32:59 PM »
We've laid some strip out and stuff I think.  Now there's just dead crickets all over the place.
The live one's are still chirping though.  They're not as bad as at our church though.  They're crawling around in the light fixtures in the basement there.
And in my rant I may have been prone to hyberbole.  I was rather frustrated, but it's a rant so hey!  Maybe it is time the call an exterminator, too bad we're out in the middle of no where :(.  Ah well, I'm off to school tomorrow, and once I'm in the dorms, this ceases to be my problem.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 10:48:33 PM »
Awww.  I'm sorry.  DON'T CALL THE EXTERMINATOR~  They are really a race of giant cockroaches who will kill you!
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 02:47:03 AM »
Oh dear.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Tink

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 03:22:58 PM »
I can sympathize. When I was a teenager at home, we had an infestation of lady bugs (my parents live out in the middle of the woods, so we always had bugs). Just like crickets they don't bite or anything, which is good, but it's pretty gross having these tiny bugs crawling all over the windows. And let me tell you, they smell gross when they die, and when you have thousands of them (I'm not kidding), it pretty much always smells like that all the time. They first started appearing when local organic farmers used them to kill other bugs. Then in the winter, they found our warm house. My parents have it under control now, but it was pretty bad back then.

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 04:11:09 PM »
They first started appearing when local organic farmers used them to kill other bugs.

Dang organic people, never worrying what effect their actions will have on the environment.... :D
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 04:26:58 PM »
At least ladybugs don't chirp.  They're dying, but there's just too many of them.  Oh well, this happens pretty much every year any ways, it's just usually not THIS bad. 
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 06:25:04 PM »
That sucks Coma! I can sympathize with you on this, well a little bit anyways. A couple of weeks ago there was a cricket SOMEWHERE in my apartment. I stress the somewhere because it was in a location that echoed and I just could not locate the little devil. One night it actually woke me up so I got up all angy and looked for it again to no avail. However, I did realize that when I turned the kitchen light on it stopped so I decided to leave it on all night. But the next day that trick did not work and he chirpped for the next couple of days. Little jerk.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 04:50:41 AM »
A poem by my husband:   ;D

The Love Song of J. Alfred Cricket (or, That's Not Cricket!)

Sing Hey! for the song of the cricket,
fiddling his legs in the dark of the night.
He sings his love songs outside in the thicket,
his lyrics aren't much but his rhythm is tight!

His insistent susurrations awake you,
aroused from your dreaming, you frown in the gloom.
Grumbling, you get up, and close up the window,
but the "chirp-chirp" of the cricket fills up the room.

"Chirp-chirp"-- pause-- "CHIRP-CHIRP!" for hours!
You lie awake, cursing, all night until dawn,
But as the sun rises slowly, and peeks through your window,
The cricket falls silent, and nods off, with a yawn.
~금강산도 식후경~