Author Topic: The Metal Lake  (Read 10351 times)

Coof

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Metal Lake
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2008, 02:07:32 PM »
I can see that, the 15th and 16th metal's being Ruin and Preservation. Maybe something trapped them into the metal's/well's for the safety of the world or something like that. I think it would really tie everything together nicely

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2008, 02:18:29 PM »
Yes, but no one liked that theory last time I proposed it. ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Coof

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2008, 02:37:32 PM »
Well I wasn't there. The theories we seem to be coming up with lead to different conclusions and this conclusion seems logical with everything we have discussed

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2008, 04:24:01 PM »
Sorry Miyabi, but the 15th metal was the one Elend ate.  I don't think there was a super spirit in that.  I think maybe Ruin and Preservation are trapped in the liquid metal of the well, but I don't think all metal of that type has them in it.  Perhaps the two 'wells,' as we are calling them have the same metal in them.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Coof

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2008, 04:40:38 PM »
Maybe the metals in the wells are like super metals, able to give you incredible powers. Maybe the more you ingest the stronger you are.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2008, 09:13:40 PM »
I agree with Coma here, but not Coof.

It just wouldn't be that simple Coof.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2008, 10:09:42 PM »
So, what if the 15th metal that Elend ate (small crystalline piece) was a crystal that had solidified out of the liquid metal pond/lake.  Elend gets allomantic powers because it's the metal that is involved with Preservation.  Then, the liquid metal lake would be made of the 15th metal, and the "clear metal" in the well that Ruin was in would be the 16th.  (Not the 17th and 18th).  So, if this is the case, would someone gain allomantic powers by ingesting the liquid metal or just the crystals from it?  And what sort of powers would they gain by ingesting the stuff from the well of ascension?  Hemalurgic powers?  Those associated with Ruin?  Would you get crystals from the "clear metal" within the well?  If so, where are they?  Could this be where Vin's going to get hemalurgic powers from?  Or does she already have them?
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2008, 10:13:55 PM »
I don't think we could go that far out of the realm of what we have already seen.  To just suddenly have this different way to get Hemalurgy doesn't make sense.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2008, 03:42:07 AM »
I'm wondering if the metal in the lake and the metal in the well aren't the same (I'm also wondering if the lake we see and Vin's Well of Ascension are the same as well).  The 15th metal gives allomancy (power), and the 16th, can trap gods (limit power).
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2008, 04:01:56 AM »
:o  I think you're onto something there.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2008, 05:08:18 PM »
I like the "opposite" idea, Comatose.  Giving power vs. limiting power for the 15th and 16th metals.  Still, what powers are being limited?  What powers does Ruin have?  For that matter, what powers does Preservation hold?  Are they in line with Allomancy?  I forget what kind of power Vin says that she feels like she has once at the Well before giving it back to Ruin.  Godly powers, assumedly.  But do they work into the framework of powers that we already know about, or is it something new?
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2008, 05:24:29 PM »
I think we can assume it's something new, since Ruin can alter text and metal minds, and none of the human magic systems can do this.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2008, 10:54:25 PM »
They are god-like powers. . . they don't need a system.  It's called being the DM. ha ha.  j/k.

I don't think the "God Powers" will fit within a system, but the metal would probably limit any kind of power.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2008, 12:53:17 AM »
I agree with Miyabi, if it's going to limit anyone's power, it's going to be the person who burns it. It doesn't seem fair that if I burn the 15th metal, I get allomancy, and if I burn the 16th I get to trap a god. That's just not cool.

So, what if the 15th metal that Elend ate (small crystalline piece) was a crystal that had solidified out of the liquid metal pond/lake.  Elend gets allomantic powers because it's the metal that is involved with Preservation.  Then, the liquid metal lake would be made of the 15th metal, and the "clear metal" in the well that Ruin was in would be the 16th.  (Not the 17th and 18th).  So, if this is the case, would someone gain allomantic powers by ingesting the liquid metal or just the crystals from it?  And what sort of powers would they gain by ingesting the stuff from the well of ascension?  Hemalurgic powers?  Those associated with Ruin?  Would you get crystals from the "clear metal" within the well?  If so, where are they?  Could this be where Vin's going to get hemalurgic powers from?  Or does she already have them?

I pretty much agree with this. I think that the 15th metal could well be from the preservation-lake and the 16th from the ruin-lake. And Miyabi, we absolutely have evidence to suggest this is a way to get hemalurgy through allomancy. It can be inherited genetically, or through the 15th metal. So, hemalurgy could be inherited through piercings, or the 16th metal. Which would explain how the LR is a hemalurgist for all you die-hard "the bracers are not hemalurgical" people out there.

I think we can assume it's something new, since Ruin can alter text and metal minds, and none of the human magic systems can do this.

Not necessarily. We don't know for sure what they're capable of, and even if we did, it's possible that Ruin just has the subtlety of millennia of practice. It's kind of like how inquisitors see. Maybe moving ink around is just very subtle allomancy. And we pretty much don't know anything about hemalurgy.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2008, 02:45:13 AM »
Ok so if we go with your line of thought are the two metals from the lakes both from the same source? I mean that all allomantic metals have an alloy that is also allomantic. So are the two metals in the lake paired (one being the source and one the alloy)? Or is there an alloy for each?
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"