Author Topic: The Metal Lake  (Read 10043 times)

VegasDev

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: The Metal Lake
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2008, 06:51:01 PM »
From what I remember, Ruin controls the mist spirits.  The mist spirit would have tried to attack anyone that tried to get to Preservation first (via the liquid-metal lake) because they want everyone to go to the well with Ruin in it instead.

The mist spirit attacked Elend to try to make Vin keep Ruin instead of releasing it...
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 07:04:32 PM »
Although, the liquid metal could also be casium, francium, gallium, or rubidium which are all liiquid at or around room temperature....

Man, all of the obscure ones.  I'm impressed.  Was going for something that'd be a bit more common, but you're definitely right about the options.  Something else about the lake that the people would probably have noticed too is the high surface tension at the lake's edges.  A pool of mercury wouldn't lay flat against the rocks/shore.  It'd have a raised edge.  Don't know about the others in the list above, but I'm guessing that it'd probably be the same.  Metallic properties and all.  Anyhow, something else that would have made it much more obvious that this was an actual lake of liquid metal and not a lake of water with something shiny on the top. 
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2008, 07:49:48 PM »
Quote from:
Kelsier ducked down a side corridor, and Vin had to sprint to keep up with him. She flared pewter, willing her legs to move faster. Ahead, Kelsier paused, and Vin lurched to a stop beside him. To their right was an open, arching doorway, and it shone with a light far brighter than that of the small corridor lanterns. Vin extinguished her tin, following Kelsier through the archway and into the room. Six braziers burned with open flames at the corners of the large, dome-roofed chamber. In contrast to the simple corridors, this room was covered with silver- inlayed murals. Each obviously represented the Lord Ruler; they were like the windows she had seen earlier, except less abstract. She saw a mountain. A large cavern. A pool of light. And something very dark.
Kelsier strode forward, and Vin turned. The center of the room was dominated by a small structure—a building within the building. Ornate, with carved stone and flowing patterns, the single-story building stood reverently before them.

Quote from: MB1
Vin burst into the building-within-a-building, nearly tripping on a rug made from some exotic fur. She frowned, scanning the chamber urgently, searching for whatever the Lord Ruler hid inside of it. It has to be here, she thought desperately. The clue to defeating him—the way to win this battle. She was counting on the Inquisitors being distracted by their wounds long enough for her to search out the Lord Ruler’s secret and escape. The room had only one exit—the entrance she’d come through—and a hearth burned in the center of the chamber. The walls were decorated with odd trappings; furs hung from most places, the pelts dyed in strange patterns. There were a few old paintings, their colors faded, their canvases yellowed. Vin searched quickly, urgently, looking for anything that could prove to be a weapon against the Lord Ruler. Unfortunately, she saw nothing useful; the room felt foreign, but unremarkable. In fact, it had a comfortable hominess, like a study or den. It was packed full of strange objects and decorations—like the horns of some foreign beast and a strange pair of shoes with very wide, flat bottoms. It was the room of a pack rat, a place to keep memories of the past. She jumped as something moved near the center of the room. A pivoting chair stood by the hearth, and it spun slowly, revealing the wizened old man who sat in it. Bald, with liver-spotted skin, he appeared to be in his seventies. He wore rich, dark clothing, and he frowned angrily at Vin.

Just thought I would post this. Thought it seemed strange that he would create this building within a building with a hearth in the center, when he could have just constructed a room near his throne or somewhere else...
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2008, 07:57:49 PM »
First of all, let me clear up some confusion.  For those of you searching for the reference, it's in the Final Empire, not well of ascension, in on of the log book entries.
Second of all, CURSE YOU OOKLA AND YOUR SILLY MOK POSTS!
Thirdly, I think it's very probably that Brandon created these metals just as he created Atium.  I like the idea of the two wells, but I have a question.  If those two wells are both metals, does that make them they 17th and 18th metals?  They wouldn't fit into the circle thingy then.  But if they are both well-like then they are probably each other's compliment, and thus I don't think either can be the compliment of the 15th metal that Elend ate.  I guess maybe neither of them are allomantic at all, and are something completely different.
So.   There are two "wells," and the Mist Spirit protects both of them.  Only, we don't know this, because the Mist Spirit has only been seen protecting the pool Fedik tried sampling, and the well below Luthadel.  What if, what was considered the well of ascension in Alendi's time isn't what the Lord Ruler moved.  What if the two "wells," sort of take turns gathering power, one each millennium.  And the Lord Ruler took the power from his well of ascension, and then moved the other one containing Ruin to Luthadel, calling it the well of ascension, so that he could get the other one as well?  DO you guys see what I'm saying?  The Mist Spirit only guards one well, the one Ruin is trapped in.  Preservation may or may not be trapped in the other well, but this is my theory.  The Mist Spirit only guards one well.  And that is the metal lake in Alendi's time, not what they CALL the well of ascension.  The Lord Ruler then moves this pond to Luthadel, after taking power from the other well, in hopes of taking them both.
There are holes of course, one is that Ruin was altering the prophecies both times, and was taking Alendi to the other well... unless it was Preservation altering things last time, who knows?  There is still a lot to be sorted out.  What do you think guys?

And Vega just posted while I was getting this ready.  I'm assuming he made this room where he did so he could be right over the "well," and feel it's power better?  That's jsut my guess anyways.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Coof

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2008, 08:06:27 PM »
I don't think its know for sure that TLR moved the well, only that Vin believed it might be so. If the theory that there are two well's is right, then maybe he didn't move one afterall.

Comatose, I understand what you are saying and I agree with you. Ruin could have altered the prophecy both times. I makes sense that if one well is ruin, the other preservation that Ruin wouldn't want Preservation to be released either. He would want to confuse things. Maybe he realized that Alendi was going to release Preservation and then made Rashek (through Hemalurgy) kill ALendi and take the power to himself and not release it. I hope I make sense here

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2008, 08:10:06 PM »
Only Rashek didn't have hemalurgy back then.  Kwaan also says something about how the original prophecies are vague on what to do with the power, this would support there being two wells, one each with different ways to release the things within them.  It's just something that occured to me.  And the Lord Ruler would have had to move the well, both were in the mountains originally, unless, he also could have left it, and just changed the entire area around it as well.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Coof

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2008, 08:17:13 PM »
I don't think that there is mention of two wells in any prophecy, just the one.

I also don't think its clear as to when Rashek got his Hemalurgic powers.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2008, 01:10:57 AM »
OH OH OH!  More to add to my theory!

1 - We know the Well and Lake are near each other.

2 - Luthadel and . . . I forget the circled city's name all of a sudden, are next to each other.

What if he didn't MOVE the Well. . . just flattened the world around it.  THEN he circled the city because that is where the Lake is hidden?

I think they would gather at the same time, but the Lake hasn't been 'calling' as strong as the Well because the world was staying preserved as it was.  This would mean Ruin wanted out so it was trying desperately to get out.  NOW Preservation will want out because the world will begin to decay.

The mist spirit attacked Alendi's friend . . maybe only the Hero is allowed to go to the lake so that Preservation isn't given to the wrong person.  Then it attacked Elend at the Well to try and keep ANYONE at all from freeing Ruin?

Maybe the Mist Spirit was the person who trapped Ruin and Preservation in the first place????
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2008, 01:59:44 AM »
Or maybe the 'well' Vin found is really the metal lake, and the thing in Statlin city is the 'well' that Rashek found?  Who knows.  And we don't know much at all about what the prophecy says, and remember it isn't the most reliable thing.  Kwaan says it is vague, and just because there are two 'wells' doesn't mean there are two well of ascensions.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2008, 02:04:37 AM »
I don't see WHY he would change the shape of the lake into a Well or if he could, but he might have.

Remember how she/he could be translated both ways?  Maybe there is no plural form in this language so it could be translated as Well or Wells.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2008, 02:29:08 AM »
Wow. Guess I should never skip a day of logging on. Hmmm. I'm impressed overall. I think the two wells theory is actually pretty good. It makes a lot of sense. And I think it's impressive that we started a thread and three posts later ookla said that someone was on to something.

Anyway, I've always believed the LR didn't move the well, just changed the landscape around it. So, Miyabi's additions make sense. I think it may be that only the Hero of Ages can release the power at either well (assuming there are two) and that if anyone else tries, they will be hurt. That, or someone with a specific ability. That actually makes more sense, unless Rashek became the hero when Alendi died. Or maybe Ruin and Preservation have to want it to be some specific person....but now I'm just rambling. Anyway, that would explain why the mist spirit stabs Elend and the other dude. Although it may be it just likes the metal lake.

Anyway, my $.02. Though it was actually more like $.002 at this point...Need Sleep...
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2008, 02:34:46 AM »
Wow I think this is like the first time people have genuinly liked and agreed with one of my theories. ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2008, 02:46:21 AM »
I was just thinking... Mercury is one of the metals in MB Prime. Though a lot of the metals changed, and it isn't a good thing for us to compare too much, it's entirely possible that the metal lake is just a bunch of mercury. And maybe mercury has some allomantic property that the mist spirit doesn't want discovered. Just a thought.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2008, 03:49:37 AM »
Who says he changed it.  Vin describes the well as a sort of pool.  Pool and pond or lake are fairly similar in appearance.  I'm just using the word well, because that's what the book calls this pond.
I still think that the Mist Spirit is only guarding the ONE well, which leads me to believe that Ruin was in the metal lake, and Preservation, or something else was in the well that Alendi and Rashek went to.  Rashek killed Alendi, and took the power, perhaps leaving Preservation trapped( I'm assuming Preservation is still trapped seeing as how Ruin is so poweful now), or taking Preservation into himself.  The Mist Spirit is against Ruin, just as the Deepness is with him.  The mist Spirit stops anyone from going to Ruin's well, stabbing Fedik when he got too close, and stabbing Elend when Vin was taking the power.  I think that the well Rashek took power from could very well be from Statlin city, and perhaps now that he is dead Preservation has gone back there.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2008, 06:04:56 AM »
I think this could all tie back to my theory about the 15th and 16th metals being Ruin and Preservation in some manner of speaking.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。